April 29, 2024, 11:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Another garden visitor  (Read 7431 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

We now have a pair of hedgepigs dropping in for romantic evening meals on our patio every night. When Taz is sat at her laptop on the patio, having her post evening meal cigarette, (s), she hears a rustling in the flower bed behind her & they appear 6 inches from her seat & happily munch away at their free meal.
We're now feeding the bloomin' night shift in our garden too!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:56:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »

Big news! We have a baby!

...........hedgehog.
Had a text from Taz while I was out this evening telling me we had a baby -not a statement I ever expected to read. Very cute. He's popped back a couple of times this evening to the pile of fat pellets, dried mealworms & crunchy hedgehog pellets we leave on the edge of the patio. Only about the size of your fist, but he seems to be on his own, not shepherded by a parent pig. We have a pile of old grass cuttings at the front of the cottage, so assume they must be living in there as they all appear from that direction before stopping by for supper, then wandering off down the garden. We'll make sure this little guy gets plenty to eat, ready for the long Winter sleep.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »

I'm glad he has friendly folk to feed him cos he's very little for this time of year and they don't survive the winter if they're not carrying enough weight to hibernate.    Undecided

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »

The MMMotors garden catering service will do it's best Bobbi.  Wink

Stephen Mac

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »

nice to see andy doing your bit for nature it looks tiny  Smiley oh i think you need to do some weeding between them there slabs Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »

It's the rustic, uncultivated look -very chic. Honest.
We bought a big heap of slabs last year. Cost a fortune. Started laying them on sand at the back of the house then just sorta lost momentum. Too many other things to do. So now nature's starting to reclaim it. I think we've forfeited a smart garden in favour of a habitat the animals feel happy in, which to be honest, is fine by us.   Smiley

Stephen Mac

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »

we went for the easier and less hard work option and put cheap softwood decking down and its weathering well i like the rustic look as well and we just strim the weeds wild country garden look is nice have saw a few i cant say much as its the wife who cuts the grass and i go about on my scooter and cut the hedge with hand shears as its at the right level for me  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »

You mean she hasn't hooked you up to a garden roller or something? A good idea missed.

Stephen Mac

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »

shhh your giving her ideas Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »

More wildlife -this time in our kitchen.
Taz & I live in a very scruffy cottage in the Surrey countryside. There's a main road right outside the front door, but we share our garden & sometimes the house with all kinds of animals. Some welcome, some not so.
This is the top corner of our kitchen window. Very tall ceilings here, over 8 feet, so it doesn't get disturbed very often. We plan to completely gut the place & redocorate but at the moment, just haven't got the time, so we live with it as it is. Anyway, the local Ladybird population seems to favour this corner as their hibernation spot. They presumably find their way in through cracks between the window frames & doors, through air bricks etc & gather in a big clump. Exactly a year ago this week, we were on holiday in Scotland & arrived home to find a huge group in the same place & also in the corner of our bedroom window. Really freaked me out at the time, though now I'm a bit more relaxed about it. Still not keen on them being there & might ask Taz to sweep them up -she deals with the wildlife. I'm a really wussy townie, but quite fascinating in a creepy crawly kinda way.  
Oh, we now have 3 or 4 hedgehogs dining on our patio every evening & we've also spotted a pair of field mice eating the hedgehog food. Taz has named them both Dave. Yesterday the security lights at the far end of the garden came on late at night & Taz looked out to see the silouhette of a rabbit hopping across the lawn. Don't think it was a were-rabbit but you never know round here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:13:13 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »

The plot thickens...
In the words of Taggart- "It's mu-dder".
We looked out of our back door this morning to find a bloodbath on our patio. No idea what went on, but at some point, either over night or early this morning, something met a grisly end 2 feet from our back door. With blood on the arm of the patio chair, it's presumably not one of our new hedgehog friends, but there seemed a lot of blood to be a small bird. Too much to be an injured larger bird flyng over. So either a large bird, bleeding badly & perching momentarily on the seat, or maybe a Sparrowhawk taking a small bird & eating it there & then? A cat? although the neighbour's cat's completely ignored by the local wildlife. Who knows. It's a jungle out there. 

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »

Eeeek!  That really is quite a lot of blood - and fresh too!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 08:55:08 AM »

I think it's the were-rabbit.  Shocked

Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »

Where Rabbit?

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
spanners

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »

there wabbit Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: