April 27, 2024, 07:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Sump" online magazine  (Read 2430 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: August 21, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »

I've just been emailed a link to this. Not heard of it before, but for those of us who believe the British bike industry never really died & that a modern sports bike will never hold the same thrill as a 50 year old Brit thumper, this is for you.
Some interesting reading & lovely presentation. Puts us amateur webby types to shame. Very nice.

http://sump-publishing.co.uk/index.htm

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
panthershaun

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

Cool site, shame they had a "fake" triumph on the front page  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

runs laughing madly  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »

Grin  As a former Brit bike owner myself I agree -mind you, "former owner" gives some clue as to their usefulness as every day rides. I think I spent 2 days in the shed repairing mine for every 1 day I spent riding it.  Tongue

panthershaun

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »

got to say my BSA was my daily for 2 years when we purchased the house and I think the previous 3 yrs before that when Hayley past her driving test and nicked my car  Roll Eyes and Bobcat would happily do the daily run now if it wasn't for the 04-15 run into work (a little too noisy for that time of morning  Wink) maybe I've been lucky but a well prepped Brit is as good as a modern bike in my mind for the everyday stuff, just don't expect motorway performance on a too regular basis  Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »

That was the problem -I used to commute up & down the M4 between Newbury & Reading every day on mine, plus try to keep up with my club mates on their new fangled Japanese machines on weekend runs.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »

I wish I hadn't followed that link!  There was a link on there to Ted Simon's site, jupitalia.com - and I spent a couple of hours there!

I'm currently reading his book Jupiters Travels, about the 4 year round the world trip he did on a Triumph starting in 1973 - for anyone who hasn't read it - do!

It was nothing like the two actor blokes - he did it alone, no camera crew, no backup vehicles, just him and the bike - oh and he didn't even know how to ride when he decided to do it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »

Read his book when I was a teenager & agree with you Bobbi -an inspiring read. Saw him once at a bike show somewhere, signing copies of the follow up book. He looked such an ordinary guy -hard to imagine he'd made such an extraordinary journey.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »

Yes I spoke to him at a bike show somewhere and he WAS just an ordinary guy!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: