April 20, 2024, 07:10:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulldog  (Read 8081 times)
f100

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »

great picture's i see alot of trikes don't have front or rear mud guards or rear lights. So they can't be road legal can they?Huh
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »

Lots of bikes don't run front muddies either.
Mudguards aren't an MOT requirement. If they're fitted they must catch an "adequate amount of spray". If they're not fitted they can't be tested & therefore can't fail. Last time we tested Flap's orange trike the MOT guy actually went & phoned the Ministry for advice & was told exactly that.
They are needed for the construction & use regulations though, which still govern all road going vehicles. So although your trike/bike can pass the MOT without them, you still run the risk of being pulled & prosecuted for them out on the road. Opinion seems divided over whether it's an endorsable offence or not & although I've never personally heard of anyone being prosecuted, others say they know people who have. A lot of fenderless rods actually carry a simple bolt-on set in the boot, should they run into trouble. Or rain.
You can get a daylight MOT, which obviously only covers you to ride during the hours of daylight. It's really intended for trials bikes & the like, which might travel on the road from one off-road site to the next. Not sure if you still need a brake light or not though. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
f100

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

thanks for the reply. Also some of the trikes don't have any rear lights at the back or indercators. I also thought your suppose to have intercators at the front on a trike?? sorry for all the question just intrested.
tbone

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »

Hi, yep indicators, like mudguards, are a requirement not an option, check Andy`s sticked thread on lighting regs in the trike tech section  Wink

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
panthershaun

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

I think Andy, if you have a brake light you must then have a rear light which means you also need a front light  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes so I think to go "daylight" you mustn't have any form of illumination fitted at all but please don't quote me on that when you've been pulled by the plod  Grin Grin Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
cunningplan

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 01:11:02 AM »

If your all talking about the MOT side of it, yes you can have brake lights and not side lights, also its the same with indicators, all it says is
"Stop lamps are not a legal requirement if the vehicle is fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps etc. (see 1.1),"
"Direction indicators and hazard warning devices are not required by regulations on vehicles not fitted with any front or rear position lamps (see1.1)"
if they are fitted, they have to work.
This is a good up to date place to go for all the MOT information
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm for cars and trikes and here
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm for bikes
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: