April 28, 2024, 10:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A Simple start  (Read 7955 times)
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« on: May 22, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »

I finally got around to picking up my donor reliant yesterday Grin

Now all I have to do is strip it of all the parts I need (without damaging the donor) then selling whats left. If anyone can give me a hint as to what I should keep it would be much appreciated as I would hate to sell something that I am going to need later on. Huh

I am hoping to get started this weekend, I will keep you all updated with pics and stories of my antics (heavilly censored to take out the swear words - wont be much to write then Grin).

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »

Picking up the reliant

Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »

Bill (the seller) next to 1 of his 3 remaining reliants.

spanners

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

best get building then  lad    Grin Grin

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
tbone

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »

Yay another one starts! lots n lots of Pics please, of everything, including stripping the donor. Dicky has done a write up on how to get the engine/box out, tis on the 3 wheel section.  Wink
As far as what to keep, the obvious, engine & all ancillaries, gearbox & prop, axle, maybe`s will include the master cylinder and pedal box depending on what you have in mind.
Good luck mate, the fun starts now  Wink

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »

Mr M's marvolous design with a couple of adjustments for personal taste ect, is what I have in mind so the pedal box won't be needed, but thanks for the info, keep it comming as I am a complete numpty novice at this here fabrication malarky Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »

I've got this nasty feeling that in a few years time, when Reliants have attained their rightful place as icons of the car building art, people are going to say What a crying shame there's none left on the road -those bloody Monkeys cut 'em all up.  Tongue
And so the madness begins once more. Will they never learn!
Photograph everything Si, to show us all & also for your own reference when you forget how the damn thing goes back together. You'd be suprised how often we get told how useful some tiny snippet of information in a build thread has been to another reader. Your tinkering may well be directly responsible for inspiring the next Monkey to have a go.  Wink
I'd suggest keeping things like radiator, cables, (you could do the same as Taz & run the speedo off the gearbox like the original car, but if not you can cut the end fitting off & use it to blank the drive unit on the gearbox), handbrake lever & mount, fuse box, dashboard gauges, exhaust -even silly stuff like number plate lights or full rear lights might come in handy.
Take your time, be careful, (don't want anybody needing adapted controls cos they've chopped a finger off with an angle grinder), but above all, have fun! Remember, if you're not happy with something, you can always do it again.
Good luck!  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »

There you go, Mr M has already mentioned several things that i`d not thought about, thats the beauty of this site, lots of info from different people.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »

Did you tell Bill you were going to lovingly restore his pride & joy?!

tazet
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »

There is not much I can say as it looks like everything is covered. Good luck and have fun. Remember if you feel stressed with it walk away and come back the next day. Frustration make errors and errors make you more frustrated.
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »

Your tinkering may well be directly responsible for inspiring the next Monkey to have a go.  Wink

Scary thought Grin

brock

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »

just a second vote for saving the pedal box, the clutch and brake pedals have bronze bushes in the pivot points and will fit a piece of half inch ( from memory) bright drawn bar, just cut the top and bottom off the pedals and weld your own on, remember to knock the bushes out prior to welding and replace after. Also a couple of handy return springs involved in there. Actually, thinking a bit more, the shaft is floating so could be used too.
   I would always be interested in the shaft and pedal pivots if anyone is stripping one of these and doesn't want them. 
gsxrsam

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:16:10 AM »

good luck with frustrating time ahead..  Grin Cheesy

i have decided to live forever or die trying
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »

Steering box might be of use to someone.

yanto

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 10:16:17 AM »

good luck with frustrating time ahead..  Grin Cheesy
i secound that Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: