April 29, 2024, 03:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65
  Print  
Author Topic: RODS build........  (Read 253641 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »

GSX? XJS? Nice Merc.
Yup, lookin' good Rod. What's with the square patch in the top of the tank?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »

The tank was like that when I got it : large hole in top ,drain tap cut out ,and inside has a lot of resin due to a leak it had previously! Idea was to use the tank ,with alterations,to house the electrics etc.would then have a seperate tank at the rear for the fuel . Converted gas cyl maybe.
   Now Ive got a general overall shape for the mosheen ,I dont like the idea of a tank at the rear. I looked at having custom- made aly tanks fitted in to confined areas at the rear ,but think they will be way too expensive! so I'm looking for a bike tank.No auto jumbles etc round here at the mo' though!
   Ive got another plan hatching for the tank,gotta look in to it tho'!
         Rod
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »

Doc, Twisted Patience, has 3 or 4 standard XS750 Yamaha tanks hung on his shed wall if they're any use. We bought a standard Harley Sportster tank from Ebay for Taz's trike, then changed our minds & went for a King Sportster, (wider), bought from Dracken's shop, (he gives a discount to forum members. Click JW Motorcycles on the Links page of the main site).
Of course, we've also got a brand new QuickBob tank, same as Flap's orange trike, here that we bought for Taz but didn't use. Several people expressed an interest in it but no-one's come up with the cash. 100 quid if you fancy it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:21:31 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

ROD

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »

Ive noted that Andy ,will have a think...........
 Meanwhile ,today Ive really got stuck into the frame.Pics to follow,as I cant download from camera on this comp. Downtubes in and notched to head stock,g/box x-member mocked up etc. Used the mitre prog for the g/box member(Thanx TB! ) But had to free hand the headstock ones ,what a palaver they were!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:09:45 PM by ROD » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »

Aye, fun ain't they!

ROD

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »

More Pics........
 Using tube notcher programme........

Did these by eye........

Cut up some old box......

Welded up the g/box mounts.........

More or less finished.......

Axle plates.............

Thats all for now!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:20:11 PM by ROD » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

My, you have been busy! Lookin' good.  Grin

ROD

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »

Another good day on it today!Pics later......
 As can be seen ,due to the deal I had with the guy to build the basic chassis falling thro' at the very last moment ,Ive decided to build it myself. I decided to go with the MMM design,cos Ive never built a trike chassis  before ,and I needed a proven design/shape. It was originally going to be quite a bit different ,but hey ho! Im enjoying it so far ,and it is becoming adictive! I vowed never to build another vehicle ,but famous last words etc........ Grin and strangely enuf,SWMBO has'nt given me grief over that statement! She's been there ,heard that! Smiley
      Have come to the point where I must weld some chassis tubes together.Ive built the g/box mount and eng mounts using a stick welder ,but now need to get someone in to mig the main bits.Im not confident enuf with mig,or I'd go out and buy a new one.,and do it myself. so Im now on the look out for someone .There are some mobile welder guys around ,but need to find someone closer to home. All good fun!
            Regards,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:55:36 PM by ROD » Logged
ROD

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »

Looks like Ive solved the welding prob!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

Great!
I bought my first MIG years ago & taught myself, but was never 100 percent confident I was doing it right. Then when Flap & I started on his orange trike, we both enrolled on a local tech college evening class course on MIG welding. I had been getting it right, but it was worth it for the confidence it gave me. About 60 quid for a 10 or 12 week course.

Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:24 PM »

Great!
I bought my first MIG years ago & taught myself, but was never 100 percent confident I was doing it right. Then when Flap & I started on his orange trike, we both enrolled on a local tech college evening class course on MIG welding. I had been getting it right, but it was worth it for the confidence it gave me. About 60 quid for a 10 or 12 week course.

Just got a price from Brooklands college for their 12 week course, £250  Shocked. I think i'll just do their basic one evening intro course for £39. Embarrassed

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
ROD

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 04:10:17 AM »

If you are just a raw beginner at welding ,I reckon thats the best way to go. But if you are more advanced,there are one day intensive courses for learning a particular type eg mig welding. They are run by private companies.
ROD

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »

Tack welded main frame today.......

Now its a roller!!woohoo!

Gotta decide if I want to use this king and queen seat.........Comments?

The bottom line of the rear part of seat is about the height of the top of the tyre.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:50:08 PM by ROD » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »

Purely personal & highly biased opinion- I much prefer something that follows the line of the top hardtail tubes, ie, running down to the axle. I think dual seats have to sit level & as such, ruin the classic lines of a hardtail. Also means you'd be sat up high on the frame, above the tank. I personally think chops & chop styled trikes should have that sportier, more aggressive stance, with the rider sat down into the machine, rather than perched on top of it.
Solo pad or arrowhead shaped dual seat, following the lines of the frame for me.

ROD

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

Dont follow you Andy!?.....The front (driver) seat is lower and you do sit into it.Theres only just enuf room for the cut down gearlever under there. Only the passenger is higher.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:56:25 PM by ROD » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65
  Print  

Jump to: