April 29, 2024, 09:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition coils.  (Read 3499 times)
Mr_G

« on: April 17, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »

I purchased a pair of the above today for my GS250T to replace the knackered pair that barely keep it running at the moment. I was expecting to be faced with a setup similar to the existing pair but these after market ones are different. My existing pair have a pair of wires coming out that plug in to a pair of connectors under the tank but these new ones have a pair of spade terminals sticking out of the resin. One of them has a black bit of plastic round it where it comes out of the resin and the other doesn't. My question is does it matter which way round I connect the wires to the new coils and if yes which way round do I connect them?

I can post a photo later if required.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mr_G.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »

Photo's please Susan Grin

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »

Susan?!
-no, I don't want to know.  Shocked

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Mr_G

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

Here is a pic of a coil in question.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/glegalee/17042009031.jpg
Ignition coils.

Cheers

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »

Love the cat's feet & whiskers in the shot!  Cheesy

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »

Unless it is some wierd thing it will not make a difference. The black bit is probably in there to stop it coming into contact with the centre (Mounting) before they put the resin in.

The coil is exactly that. A coil of wire so it make no difference.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Mr_G

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »

That's as I suspected but I thought it better to check. Thanks for your help chaps.

Mr_G

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »

Apparently it does matter which way the coil is connected, if I connect the live feed to the coil to the wrong terminal it will short to earth, this is because one of the spades is wired to the mounting bit, I have been told that the terminal with the black plastic bit is should be the live one, I figure I can test this theory with a multi meter, one of the terminals should have a large amount of ohms between it and the mount and the other should in theory be a short circuit. I'll make sure I try this test before I wire them.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »

Umm thats odd. Check it the way you suggested and that will tell you what you need to know..

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Mr_G

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »

Measured the resistance of the coil today, 1.5 ohms across the spade terminals and 10.36 K ohms across the ht to the black plastic spade. Spoke to my boss, he's quite good at this type of thing, he said that more than likely the black spade is a common earth for the ht and the positive spade, he explained to me about the magnetic field inducing a voltage in the coil after the CDI has cut power, this voltage then goes to earth via the spark plug. The mount on the other hand is totally isolated from all connections and is only a means of generating the required magnettic field. Need to check my haynes manual to see which wire goes where but I think we might have cracked it now.

Cheers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: