May 01, 2024, 10:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: getting started  (Read 15772 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »

We've got an XS650 in the Motors, 2 wheels section of the main site.

Jack's XS650

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

oooh, i like that alot!

the oil can seems to be a popular way of hiding the battery and wiring... sounds (and looks) like a great idea.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

As we said, look at lots of other people's bikes & pinch the ideas that work best.  Wink

pie

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:40 PM »

Another one for you, built and painted in the shed.
A write up for you soon MM, promise.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 11:52:45 PM »

I'd almost forgotten that one! Yes please. A wordy bit & lots of pretty piccies please.  Smiley

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »

That, is so nicely done! and generally I don,t care for chopped/ Bobbed whatevers, but I like sound motorcycle builds, and that's a sound........, not overstated and looking the biz. Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »

oooh, i like that one alot pie.  Cool

colours are intersting  Grin but i was thinking of a similar blue for mine.

i wish i had the skill/tools to make a hardtail. they look awesome.
do you need a frame jig to do that kinda stuff or just an angle grinder, some tube and a welder?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »

A jig mate. It's a bit more critical to get a bike frame straight than a trike one, (not that we don't get them as close as humanly -Monkeyly? possible anyway). If your hardtail's off-line it'll seriously screw up the handling of your bike. Trikes are generally a bit more forgiving of minor cock ups.
Have a word with forum member FLC or Pie of course. They may be able to help you out.

InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »

ta. i'm just trying to gather basic info at the moment... still deciding what model bike to aim for.
No rush for that until after the autojumble....

(sissybar is also on hold until i can get the chance to meet a fabricator friend of a friend)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »

Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm Insol.M, but if you need to ask such questions about,"jigs", or "just a grinder etc," you are really not ready to be building frames for Bikes or Trikes!, so I advise caution, its your neck at stake, if bits part company en-route. Better to purchase a second hand,or new even, suitably modified frame, and carry out the "bling" yourself, meanwhile, practice!! Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »

But to undampen your enthusiasm, there are several here with the necessary skills to turn your ideas into reality. Few chop riders would take on building a frame from scratch, so there's no shame in seeking someone better qualified for the job.
Take a look at Bummer's work here. He's built a hardtail, using a basic jig, then handed the tack-welded frame to a friend to fully weld for him. Why not ask if he'd take on a commision? It'd be nice if you can find someone who's willing to let you get your hands dirty & learn from their experience, even if it's only cutting the tubes to length for them to fit.
Morrag's right, building a frame isn't a job for a complete novice but you have to start somewhere.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:10:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

awesome.
i'll be sure to send out some messages Smiley

building a frame woul be a little too much of a steep learning curve.
I might stick to a regular bobber and then when more finances are available, enlist the help of someone who can help me chop and hardtail the frame.

"allemagne dix points Rodders, all in good time"

Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

Grin
Of course, if you find a nice old Brit at the autojumble, (a bike that is, not a pleasant pensioner, though they're usually to be found together), it may already have a rigid frame. A lot of old British bikes had two part frames that bolted together in the middle. With a few careful measurements you should be able to find the front half of one frame & the rigid back end from another to give you the stance you're after.

By the way, if you're itching to attend an autojumble, next Sunday is the NSRA swapmeet at Essex Arena, just above the Dartford Tunnel in Purfleet, Essex, (check the Events calendar for more info). Although it's primarily a hotrod autojumble, loads of rodders are also into bobbers & chops & I'd be suprised if there aren't a few in attendance. Lots & lots of wondrous tat, fascinating old parts, to sift through. Taz & I will be there, as well as maybe Boopoopadoopgal, Dave_Postie, PantherShaun, Lunatic & PD, Chevy Rick etc. Well worth a look.  Wink     
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:42:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »

I'll be there  Grin
Hey Loony can you bring those VW rear lights with you please mate Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

I'd go with a Jap to start with, much cheaper than an old Brit, I do know where there is a barn full, yes full (eh Manky  Wink) of old Brit stuff but the owner will not part with it for a sensible price but that may have to change soon(ish)

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
tazet
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »

Oh yes Shaun didn't think of those bikes and things  Wink That/they would be perfect.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: