April 29, 2024, 06:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheared clutch lever!  (Read 3676 times)
Clive

« on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »

Hi there,

Just been invited over to the forum, and have posted in the commercial services section!

Having had a good 'nose' around the forum, this looks like it may be the place to get an answer to this!

I've got a Hartford VR125 (no laughing) sat in my garage with a sheared clutch lever. It's sheared level with the gearbox housing, and as far as I can see is (was Cheesy) a single piece!

Does anyone know anywhere in the Andover area where I can get this repaired? The whole engine can fairly easily be taken back off the bike to transport if required!

In addition, it sits quite low for me, are suspension spring/damper units a universal fit, ie can I fit a larger one easily to raise the ride height?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

Whats a Hartford VR125?

Damper units come in various lengths and fittings and also you may find the swing arm will hit the frame if you just throw a longer pair at it, Photo's would help us to help you.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Clive

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:04 PM »

Ask, and you shall receive!!!

Here's a pic of the clutch lever in place!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Clive

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »

And where it's sheared!

Clive

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »

It's a Chinese (I think) copy of a honda! Don't think the swing arm will hit the frame if a bigger damper is fitted, was just wondering if they're standard fit/sizes?

Clive

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »

You would have to take the clutch cover off and remove the offending item, then find someone who could drill and pin the parts then weld it back together.

I have repaired similar items so I know it's possible sometimes, depending on the quality of metal it's made from.

As I live in Somerset I can't help with anything but it should be repairable or try a bike breakers and see if you can get the part from the Honda it's copied from, if it's the same.

Sorry I can't be more help, unless you can drive down here that is or you could send me the bits.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:21 AM »

Whats a Hartford VR125?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
peanut

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »

I expect that the motor is one of the copies that several builders use. A search on google armed with the engine number will turn up some uk suppliers who might help. I would be tempted to replace the whole shaft and arm rather than repair it if the shaft has snapped rather than it having been a poor weld to the arm. I should also try and work out why it snapped. I had one years ago that seized in the casing because of salt corrosion. A mate of mine put a groove in and we slipped on an 0-ring to try and help stop it happening again. I suppose you could drill it for a grease nipple. (Just make sure that the mechanism in the case or the clutch itself hasn't seized as well)
Clive

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »

Thanks mate! Think I'm just going to take it off the bike, and throw it into someone who knows what they're doing to fix it for me!!

Clive

SteveRedd

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »

good plan  Wink

Growing up is Optional
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: