April 27, 2024, 06:14:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool Time  (Read 19281 times)
brock

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 11:58:15 PM »

further to the cut off saw bit, our old abrasive saw is now consigned to the back of the stores, I had the opportunity to get a new one for a job and decided to try a toothed blade instead. It's bloody brilliant. For the money I would think just about unbeatable, does everything it says it will with no drama. Cuts tube, solid bar, plate, angle, everything I have tried so far. I know of a commercial workshop that has had the same model for over a year and are still using the original blade. Angle setting is just a trigger lock with detents for the more commonly used angles, no more spanners and guess. I really can't find a bad thing to say about it. I think I paid about £180 and have seen them cheaper since.   
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »

Will it cut my overdraft?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:37 AM »

It is a lovey piece of kit. The only drawback that i found was that you need a wide bench to site it on, if my shed had been bigger i`d own one too.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
brock

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

...yeah, that's a fair point. One of the few times that I am actually glad that I built the main bench five foot deep, all the rest of the time it's just a place to pile all the junk that you can't be arsed to put away. I had thought that there was a smaller saw available that just chopped rather than pulling through as well but having just checked I don't see it listed.
tbone

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

tbone i would like to congratulate you on a very  informative thread like this i am a coded welder and been building chops trikes an hotrods for over 30 years but we can all still learn and you have done this forum proud THANKS MATE
Wink
TBone's taken this mammoth task on completely off his own bat & yes, we're very, very grateful to him.
Thanks TB.  Wink

Don`t believe him, he makes me do it! i only do the write ups to stop Mr M slapping me on the head with jaffa cakes  Grin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:21:05 PM by tbone » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:12 AM »

Shaddup & keep writing damn you!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »

Ok Mig Welder and Hydraulic pipe bender now added to the tools on the main site.

Thanks Tbone.

tbone

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »

Flap discs

Flap Discs are used for:
Intermediate and finishing of welds. Deburring, rust removal and snagging. They are suitable for almost all ferrous & non-ferrous materials.
Excellent for surface finishing

Flap Disc specifications:
A/O Flap Discs - Coated with Aluminium Oxide. For use on alloy steel and low-alloy steel

Z/A Flap Discs - Coated with Zirconia Alumina. For use on High-alloy, stainless and heat treated steels also high tensile non ferrous metals

S/C Flap Discs - Coated with Silicon Carbide. For use on Marble, stone, glass and non ferrous metals.

Typical Flap Discs sizes:
100mm X 16mm (4" x 5/8")
115mm X 22mm (4-1/2" x 7/8")
125mm X 22mm (5" x 7/8")
150mm X 22mm (6" x 7/8")
180mm X 22mm (7" x 7/8")

Types of Flap Discs:
T-27 - Used when working on flat grinding surfaces. Most efficient when used at a 0-15 degree angle.

T-29 - Conical type has an angle excellent for contour and edge work. Best at more dramatic angle of 15 to 25 degrees.

Flap discs are flexible, and will tend to follow the contours of whatever you are grinding. Not much use if you want to get rid of those contours.The trick is angling the disc (see above) and using light pressure.
Even with light pressure they are still quicker than a grinding disc.
As with all sanding products, flap discs are available in various grades from fine to coarse, a 40grit disc will cover most jobs well and remove metal quickly, a finer grade disc is needed for final sanding.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:47:08 PM by tbone » Logged

tbone

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »

Depressed center grinding discs/ Cutting discs

Grinding discs are used for grinding away material. Unlike the Flap disc, Grinding with a Grinding disc takes place on the edge of the disc. Although they have a depressed centre to keep the fixing plate away from the workpiece when grinding at an angle you should NEVER grind with the flat face, it is dangerous!!!

Cutting discs are used for cutting material and vary in thickness from 1mm (usually used on stainless steel) through to 4mm. A thinner disc will cut cleaner and quicker but are generaly more expensive than the thicker ones. Cutting discs do not have a depressed centre and are completely flat.

disc specifications:

A -  Aluminium oxide. For use on Metal and Steel

WA - White aluminium oxide. For use on Stainless Steel

ZA  - Zirconia alumunium oxide.High performance grinding and very long life. Excellent on ferrous metals, castings and stainless steel

C  -  Silicon carbide. for use on masonry, concrete, stone and non-ferrous metals.

Never use a grinding disc to cut and never use a cutting disc to grind. Both can shatter very easily and can inflict serious damage on you and your surroundings!!!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:52:06 AM by tbone » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

You've done it again TB  Grin Thank you. We'll get it online as soon as poss.

tbone

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »

Fibre Backed resin bonded Sanding Discs

These are used in the same way as the Flap disc but are much more rigid and better suited to flat surfaces. Again they are Aluminium oxide discs, that come in various grades and need to be used with a special rubber backing pad.
The sharp, heat-treated grain is electrostatically coated to a heavy duty vulcanized fibre backing with heat resistant phenolic resins. Fast, cool cutting performance.
Applications include weld grinding, blending, finishing, deburring and high production work. Also for automotive industry, plastics, ferrous metals, paint, body fillers and fiberglass.

Resin Fiber discs are available in various grains:
A/O - for cutting, debburing and finishing on metals, welds and car body repair. grits: 16-120
Z/A - for high speed steel, stainless steel and hard steel. Rough grinding to finishing. grits: 16-120.
S/C - for non-ferrous materials, fiberglass, stone and masonry. grits: 16-400.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:11:19 AM by tbone » Logged

tbone

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »

As requested by a forum member via you  Wink. And its my pleasure  Grin
 the flap disc section is complete, think i`ll lump the cutting disc in with the grinding disc and try to elaborate on the sanding discs a bit more so leave those with me a bit longer  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »

Will do. PM me when you're done & we'll get it added.

tazet
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Various Discs now added. Thaks again Tbone  Grin

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Tech/tools/mainpage.html
tbone

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »

pleasure

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: