April 29, 2024, 11:03:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas in London  (Read 10826 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 09:40:15 PM »

From the park, we crossed the road & wandered down to take a peek in the windows of Harrods. It really is another World in there.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

Strolling through Knightsbridge, we ended our foray into the big city watching the ice skaters on the floodlit rink set up outside the Natural History Museum. This petrified tree, excavated in the 1800s & standing guard outside the museum gates, is over 330 million years old. Amazing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:49:08 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »

So that was our day.
We left the skaters to it & hopped on the underground back to Waterloo, catching the 10 o clock train back to Surrey & arriving home utterly exhausted. The return off-peak train fare, including unlimited use of the underground, cost us just over 12 quid each. There's so much to do & see in London, we could go back every weekend & see something different every time.  Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:03 PM »

What a good value day out!

I remember when my kids were - well, kids - I had a little booklet called 'Things to do for free in London' - it was amazing how many there were!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »

Used to go to London a lot as a kid, then every month to the Chelsea Cruise at Battersea as a teenager. Haven't been sight-seeing there for a long time though, so it was great to go back. Yeah, loads to do there & plenty to see for free.

kustom
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »

only been to london once 27 years ago first night there got nicked and locked up all weekend
Baby Duck

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »

brilliant travelogue Manky...thanks for sharing.

muppet

everyone has the right to be stupid...some just abuse the priviledge
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »

Smiley We're only 30 miles away from the centre of London, but it's amazing how often people never visit the places right on their doorstep.

Baby Duck

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 06:18:43 AM »

Smiley We're only 30 miles away from the centre of London, but it's amazing how often people never visit the places right on their doorstep.

You're absolutely right I have the historic Barbican and Pymouth Hoe only a couple of miles away yet I rarely go there. Then there's Dartmoor only a 15 minute drive away. I go up onto the Moor more often than I visit the Hoe mainly because I enjoy the solitude out there especially at this time of year.

muppet

everyone has the right to be stupid...some just abuse the priviledge
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »

Same reason I love visiting the Scottish Highlands.
One of my workmates at the Basingstoke Royal Mail sorting office came up to me this morning. Told me he'd taken his family on the London Eye & the amphibious tour bus at the weekend & his kids absolutely loved it. What inspired them to go? Reading about it here! I didn't even know he read the site.

klogan45

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

Yep the barbican and Dartmoor are great places. Jenny cliff and Bigbury, Whitsands, Looe, Polperro are great too. Spent many a happy hour there in my youth. I was brought up in Plymouth meself. Don't get down there much these days.
Regards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »

ooh London... I live there! Cheesy
Lots to see and do, and you did the main bits.

you got some crackin pics and saw an awful lot for one day!!
There's a route i have that I take visiting friends on and show them all around the sites. Lots of walking. You seem to have covered the majority of it. Did you do Buckingham Palace? I can't remember seeing a pic. It's a 5-10 mins walk from Trafalgar Square.
tazet
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »

We only saw it from a distance this time but back in 2005 when they held the Poppy tribute on World War II day. I was there and not just as a spectator. I was carrying the County Standard for my area for the Womens section of the British Legion. The weather was soooooo hot and I'd drunk so much water I thought my bladder was going to burst and I had the full length of the Mall to march like it. In the photo with this post you can't see me but that's what I was part of. I was actually stood inside the perimeter fence for Buckingham Palace on the main courtyard. The Flyby was an amazing sight and one I'll never forget. I feel very proud to have been a part of it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:17:50 PM by tazet » Logged
InsolentMinx

A blur of chrome...

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »

wow. that's definitely something to be proud of.
I was part of a similar march there on a memorial day about 8-9 years ago. I forget the name of the place we marched, but it was where all the horses parade.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »

HorseGuards Parade?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: