April 27, 2024, 07:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: brake calliper mounting plate/bracket.  (Read 3632 times)
tony b

« on: August 26, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »

hi all ,im after a2convertion plates to mount a golf calliper onto my reliant axel,im offering a set of gpz 600r forks as a swap ,any takers ,regards tony b,shabba.

it wasnt me ,you cant prove it;
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »

Tony, I spoke to SaddleBags last week & he's added 6 more sets of caliper plates to his ever growing waiting list of private jobs. These are done in his own time after normal work hours & I know the waiting list is literally several months long. If you can wait, they'll be up for sale for whatever he charges me.
If anyone else has CNC maching capabilities, this is the diagram Mr Bags drew for me. It's for the 10mm aluminium version of the plates. Only thing it doesn't show is the 3mm recess round the centre hole that locates over the flange on the end of the axle. It's 98mm in diameter if I remember correctly. My original steel plates were just flat 7mm plate as shown.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:47:06 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

Dicky

No refund's

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »

MM, was there ant reason you went from 7mm to 10mm?  Material available? or something more technical?

So I said to God, "If this is it (life), you can keep it."
And God said, "Just be glad you got the heart by-passes in time.
I don,t normally give refunds".
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

The originals were steel, made by me in the shed & cut by hand with a hacksaw then hand-filed to shape. Not recommended unless you want biceps like Popeye.
7mm seems a strange size -I suspect they were actually 6, powder-coated. Scott made the new improved versions at work & 10mm aluminium was more plentiful than steel. The stresses are mostly sideways, (the forward motion of the trike trying to turn the plates with the wheel), rather than across the thickness of the plate, so ally's plenty strong enough according to Scott & he's a clever engineering type chappy so he should know. The 10mm aluminium was recessed 3mm to slot over the end of the axle tube, which took the effective thickness down to 7.
At the end of the day, you only need to centre the caliper over the disc, so you could use 5mm plate with a couple of spacer washers to bring the caliper out further, or 8mm with the top edge ground back to take the caliper back inboard. As long as it's central over the disc that's all that matters.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: