March 29, 2024, 02:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Presure Switch.  (Read 3272 times)
Mr_G

« on: June 23, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »

Ok, so I have spent Saturday resealing the right hand cover on the GS, ended up making a new gasket and using loctite liquid gasket to ensure that the damn thing sealed right this time. Then I stripped out the alternator as I found that it had dropped a phase and was not putting out what it should, luckily the one from my GSX was in perfect condition and a simple swap of the left hand cover was required (found that that was the simplest thing to do), after leaving the bike with no oil in for 24 hours so that the liquid gasket's could go off un hindered I put the week old oil that I drained back into the engine and fired it up. First the oil pressure light did not come on when I turned the ignition on but I narrowed that down to me not reconnecting the + lead to it "oops" then once I rectified that and started the engine again the damn light wouldn't go out, so I rechecked the oil level and topped it up with a spare 0.5 liter's I had in the shed, restarted the engine again and when I reved it the oil light dimmed and brightened at the engine reved and idled, stopped the engine again then started it and now the oil light will not come on at all, could this be cos there is too much oil in the engine?

Churrzen Zippy.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Mr_G

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »

So I took the GS to a local bike menders today to get the Cam chain changed as it was rattling, only to be told that it wasn't the cam chain making the noise at all but more likely the main bearings on the cam shaft that make the pistons rotate about it. They suggested that I might want to put a new engine in as this would be cheaper than rebuilding the existing engine. So the GS is off the road once again and I have to use the car. I have a few options, Doc has offered me space in his garage to do the work, my granddad has a motorcycle workshop in his shed with a bike lift/table but he only knows English bikes and has never worked on japs, I could chuck it in my ol mans garage or do it in my back garden, and luckily I have had loads of offers of help from people, my boss has had lots of experience with bikes and cars, Doc, and granddad etc. Just knacks me off that once again the darn thing has let me down. I swore that I would never get a Suzuki again after my GS125ESR seized but like a numpty I went and got another GS and now look whats happened.

Not having a good time with it.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »

Know exactly how you feel mate. I've been there with just about every vehicle I've ever owned.
At least you're spoilt for choice on offers of help & places to do it. Maybe leave it alone for a week or two & come back to it with a fresh eye & some extra help.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Mr_G

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »

Well' it seems that the local menders were right, it wasn't the cam chain making the noise at all. It seems that when I had been trying to seal the oil leak I got a tad merry with the silicone gasket sealer and had stupidly blocked a couple of the oil ways either with the sealer or by not cutting the gasket correctly or something like that. Any way, I was riding the bike out to me grandad's house to change the engine, got to within a mile of his house and the engine completely gave up the ghost and seized. So off I trundled pushing it the rest of the way, chucked it in his garage and started work. After taking the dead engine out I heaved it on to his work bench and started to take the parts needed for the replacement engine, took off the clutch cover only to be greated by a bucket full of oily aluminium paste. It seems that by my mistake from the other week the counter balance assy had bored out its cast mount by about 4mm (not good). Anyhoo, all the parts that I needed from that engine were ok and in 100% usable condition. In total I probably spent about 15 hours doing the job, took it for a test ride yeaterday and was very pleased with the outcome. So it looks like that £100 I bought the GSX for that I solely had for the wheels, carbs and battery has prooved its worth already. Laura's happy too now cos A: she gets the car back and can go where she pleases when I am at work again and B: That heap of junk in the garden corner (GSX) is finally getting stripped and will soon be gone totally.

Here are a couple of pics of the mess that I made in my old engine.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:42:42 PM »

That spare bike's becoming a better & better buy all the time isn't it! Lucky you had all the neceassary parts between the two bikes to sort it. Back on the road soon then. That's good news. Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »

Tis the only way to learn but it sounds much better now. Great work Zippy.     

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: