April 30, 2024, 02:46:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 85
  Print  
Author Topic: Tazet's 69 Dodge Charger.  (Read 244893 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »

It may have taken over your lives but when it's done I reckon it'll be one of the best in the country!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
tazet
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »

You're not wrong there Bobbi  Grin
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:32:22 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #902 on: March 14, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »

It's certainly taken over our bank account.
We're still not aiming for a 100% concours condition car -are we? -but should have a good solid base to build on. As long as it's structurally & mechanically sound, we can drive it minus a few bits of trim, or a whole interior, if we have to.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
gsxrsam

« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:27 PM »

It's certainly taken over our bank account.
We're still not aiming for a 100% concours condition car -are we? -but should have a good solid base to build on. As long as it's structurally & mechanically sound, we can drive it minus a few bits of trim, or a whole interior, if we have to.

you know what will happen..  Roll Eyes

paint nice.. check
chrome good... check
well we might as well make interior etc look as nice... check   Grin

i have decided to live forever or die trying
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #904 on: March 16, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »

Grin
Taz went back to have a chat with John the workshop owner today. We've used up all our available funds & are paying a bit off our bill every couple of weeks, directly from our weekly wages. To date, we still owe them 70 man hours worth, so it's gonna take a little while to catch up.
So they've agreed that John & the team will get the car fully welded, undersealed & on it's wheels, then it'll go into storage in one of their dry barns, until we're ready to continue. Hopefully that won't take long, but it's nice to know John's not chasing us for the cash -few commercial companies would be so accomodating.
Taz's Charger isn't a "numbers matching" car -one that still has matching engine & chassis numbers as it left the factory. They're the most sought after & obviously the most expensive. In John's slightly biased, but very experienced opinion, it is however, one of the strongest, straightest, rust-free examples in the country. If we could continue the rest of the build to the same standard as the bodywork, we'd be looking at a 60 grand car. Worth anything up to 80 thousand quid if it had the original motor.
John's verdict- if it ain't original, why not go the whole hog & bung a Hemi in it!       

gsxrsam

« Reply #905 on: March 17, 2010, 07:53:50 AM »

gotta agree   Grin Grin

i have decided to live forever or die trying
SteveRedd

« Reply #906 on: March 17, 2010, 08:00:37 AM »

I like his logic...can't hurt  Wink

Growing up is Optional
NeilG

« Reply #907 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »

Mmmmmmm hemi
Why do people always have to come up with great ideas and why are they always expensive one's Grin

Looking real good guys,you must be chuffed to bits.
tazet
« Reply #908 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:41 AM »

Yes very chuffed. The only problem is a Hemi will cost 12,000+ then all the other things that go with it like new axle, and up rated everything else just to be able to support the engine. If I could get overtime money I'd be working round the clock but that's not gonna happen any time soon. At least I can bumble about in the pop when that's done for a few years.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:11:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #909 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »

Oi! I'll drive the Pop, thank you!  Grin
You get the muscle car the size of a battleship -& about the same cost.
Picked up the latest issue of "Classic American" magazine yesterday. One of Taz's Mopar mates is on the cover. Clivey only took his 1970 R/T Charger to John's workshop for a bit of a tidy up.
4 years & 70,000 quid later he's now driving his dream car. We're nowhere near the same league, but if Taz's car makes her grin as much as Clivey does every time we see him, it'll be worth it.
We've now got a pair of 383 cubic inch, (6 1/4 litre), Charger engines -the stripped one that came with the car, plus the one that's been in storage for a couple of years that came out of "Pinball Wizard", the '70s Ford Pop show car. As that was actually the car that first sparked my interest in customs as a school boy, & over 30 years later I'm now building a custom Pop of my own, I think it'd be cool to have the heart of the Wizard in our car.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:16:30 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

SteveRedd

« Reply #910 on: March 22, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »

that was actually the car that first sparked my interest in customs as a school boy

me too...still got the pic somewhere in the loft

Growing up is Optional
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #911 on: March 22, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »

Grin I came across the Wizard in the line up of Pops at last year's NSRA Billing rod show -they have so many in their ranks they have their own corner of the showfield, known as the Popular Front. I always preferred it's original yellow/orange colour scheme, but it was still instantly recognisable in the plain yellow. As I was wandering round & round it, muttering, "it's the Wizard, it's the Wizard", the current owner grinned & said "Don't tell me -it was your favourite car, you remember seeing it in the mags when you were a school kid, it was the car that inspired you to get into customs etc, etc".
Happens everywhere he goes.
-And I got to sit at the wheel of the Wizz.  Cool
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:52:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

SteveRedd

« Reply #912 on: March 25, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »

bugger off  Angry

Tongue

Growing up is Optional
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #913 on: April 14, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »

No more progress on Taz's Dodge yet as we're still paying off the bill, but I've started clearing the barn where it'll eventually live. I've installed my ol' Dad's workbench, so now we've got a decent flat area to put parts together. The old Pinball motor needs checking over by someone more engine literate than we are. Several of Taz's Mopar Muscle Association mates have offered to take a look, but none have turned up so far. One guy wondered if it might be too lumpy for road use, (Pinball Wizard was once drag raced, but I doubt it was with this motor, although it does have a modified sump for extra oil capacity). So we need someone to pull the covers off & tell us what exactly we have here. Once we know what needs doing, we can get on with it while the car's at the restoration shop. Under the blue blanket, behind the yellow motor, is the original engine that came with the car when we bought it. It came in a million pieces & we've no idea if it's all there or in useable condition. Personally I'd rather use the Wiz's lump, partly because it's already built, but mainly because it's got some history. So the other engine will be a useful source of spares -or can eventually be built up into a spare motor.
Taz has decided on dark, metallic gunmetal grey for the bodywork, with black leather interior. You can see the original blue seats in front of my trike. They're 2 different shades of blue & very tatty so we'll have them re-upholstered, probably by our mate Whiff of the Surrrey Street Rodders. The engine block will probably stay black & we'll keep the yellow Holley rocker covers as a homage to it's previous life in the Wizard.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:12:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

baggie

« Reply #914 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »

looks just right there mate  Grin

rev the balls off it sweaty
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 85
  Print  

Jump to: