April 27, 2024, 02:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disc Brakes, Sierra/Granada???  (Read 2639 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »

Hi, anyone got info/pics of Sierra & Granada rear discs? Im trying to sort a mate's trike for him. He has supplied me with a Sierra/Granada Diff with "bolt up" (Lobro?) Driveshafts and discs but when I marry them up the Caliper seems to be about 20mm short of the position it should be. Discs supplied are 4 stud to match his wheels. If you have a manual for these vehicles would someone send me picture of these discs to see if there is an obvious difference. Any info would be good, thanks. Now its back to the workshop for me Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »

Hmm, Brock might be the one to ask about Granny brakes. He's often mentioned them to me as an alternative to our VW Golf jobbies. They use the same in-built handbrake mechanism don't they?
I'll give him a nudge.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
brock

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »

Hey Pete,
     I had a good pair of rebuilt Granada units spare until just before Christmas, when I gave them away. That may not help you much, it's been a couple of years since I worked on them and I can't remember much about them other than they were a bit heavier than I wanted but had a large pad area which is good for us. I thought that I had a manual somewhere, I'll have another look later but the link below shows various views of the calipers and disc setup. I can't remember if I actually took them off a car or was given them so I can't say for sure, but in the text of the link it mentions moving the disc to the outside of the hub to improve cooling, the inference being that as standard it would be behind it (?) they then use a spacer to mount the caliper, might this be what you are seeing ? Have a look and see if you can make more sense of it, if I find the manual I'll see if I can scan the relavent bits
   http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport/1_brakes.htm
trikerpete

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

Hi Steve
Thanks for response, sorry I'm late replying but not been too well lately...on the mend now though.

Just found out that the disc's supplied with the diff/shafts are the ones that came off of same car...it's the calipers that are of unknown origin, but am assured they are ford Roll Eyes It looks like I'll be making up a spacer to mount the calipers as there is just enough space to allow this, if I'm careful  Roll Eyes
If you (or anyone else) find pictures of rear discs/calipers from sierra and/or granada workshop manual I would still appreciate them.
best wishes
 Wink

trikerpete

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

now wonder calipers didnt fit easily, turns out they are from VW. Im torn between making mounts to fit these or get some sierra rear calipers, the latter would be easiest/cheapest...its not my vehicle, so if you or anyone knows for some please let me know. Ive also placed a wanted ad on here. im going to rest now..my brain hurts Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: