April 27, 2024, 08:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: new set of girders almost completed  (Read 14268 times)
dracken1

« on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:06 PM »

these 8" over girders are destined for a customers vw trike, made from 32mm od dom mechanical tubing for the legs. the harley wheel; will be used but until the type of caliper to be used is decided theres no lugs fitted as yet. the bronze welding is only used on the less stressed low carbon steel parts
http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/dracken1/girders/

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

Nice workmanship Wynne. Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »

yup nice looking Smiley i seem to be surrounded by girders atm Smiley

More metal than skin
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »

They're beautiful!  I'd love to have a front end like that on my trike!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Basket case

3 wheels on my wagon...

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:58:42 PM »

They're beautiful!  I'd love to have a front end like that on my trike!

me too..... Wink

klogan45

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »

Lovely work, looking really good Wynne.
Can someone please explain to me how these actually work Embarrassed Girders look really nice but I can't figure it out from the pics. Embarrassed  Embarrassed
REgards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

It's pretty basic K, which is their attraction.
They just pivot off the yokes, against the spring, like so.

klogan45

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »

Thanks Andy, I felt a bit DOH! with that question but I've only ever seen pics of girder forks, never seen any for real. It is a simple set up but easy to muck up if you don't get it right I think. I found some plans for girders, springers and leafers as well as frames on the chopper builders site http://www.chopperhandbook.com/neatstuff/index.html here. Look in the downloads section.They say it is ok to put things on other sites as long as you give them a reference. Sounds fair enough to me.
Thanks for the explanation, maybe one day I'll get around to building some for myself Grin Grin
Regards
K
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:23:11 PM by klogan45 » Logged

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

tazet
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:19 PM »

We didn't make ours. flc did them so I haven't got a clue on how to build them.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:36 AM »

He made a lovely job of them too.
I love leaf sprung forks on old 50s bobbers.

flc

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »

He made a lovely job of them too.

Thanks andy Embarrassed im just designing a new version, i will pop some stuff on about them if you want.
you can keep the shock if it works Smiley i have just put claires bike through mot and the other shock had to be cut off the frame (rusted solid) Shocked
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »

Oops! Been meaning to sort out a replacement so we could send yours back to you!
We're always looking for articles for the site. If you fancy writing us a bit on putting a set of girders together -the basic principles, geometry, pitfalls, recommended materials etc that'd be fantastic. Not necessarily a step by step guide to building them -though that would be great too, just giving readers an idea of what's involved so they can decide whether girders are for them would be fine.   

klogan45

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »

A couple of basic questions....probably Embarrassed, I've seen a reference somewhere to do with girder forks, the girders were made from D O M (Drawn Over Mandrill) tube. The first question is, is this the same as Cold Drawn Seamless?  The second is.. could ERW be used, please don't shout at me coz I know that ERW is not as strong as CDS, I just want to know if it could be used and how much bigger would the tube have to be than CDS to withstand the forces applied.
Thanks for not telling me off Embarrassed Embarrassed
Regards
K

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »

One for you FLC?

tbone

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »

Hmm, I know that DOM starts off life as ERW and then is reworked to get rid of the internal weld seam and give a much more constant and accurate inside diameter, so i can understand the use of DOM in the pivot and axle mounts, to give a better finish for brass bushes to fit into ect, but for the main tubes i would think ERW is fine.

Electric Resistance Welded (ERW)
Cold formed, electric resistance welded tubing can be produced in round, square or rectangle shapes. ERW tube is produced by processing a flat rolled steel into strips which are cold-formed, welded and seam annealed or normalized (depending on the manufacturer). You can usually identify ERW tube by the blue strip down one side of the tube (which is the welded area). The ERW process can guarantee the weld to be as strong or stronger than the rest of the tube body. The origin from a flat strip results in a more concentric product than Cold Drawn Seamless (CDS). ERW can also be known as CREW (Cold Rolled Electric Welded).

Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM)
DOM is formed from strip and Electric Resistance Welded (ERW) then cold drawn through a die and over a mandrel resulting in improved inner surfaces and dimensional quality. This process, called cold drawing, may be repeated more than once to reach the planned OD, ID, or wall dimension. Multiple draws can also be used to increase the strength or improve the surface finish of the tubes. During the drawing operation, the tubes may be process annealed to increase the ductility of the material. Lower cost alternative to CDS with equal or superior physical properties.

Cold Drawn Seamless (CDS)
General purpose seamless tubing, which is a solid bar of carbon steel drawn over a mandrel to form the tube section. CDS allows selection of chemistry and rough tube size. Cold drawing produces higher physical properties without heat treating. Offers widest range of sizes and chemistries in mechanical tubing. Better tolerances and reduced machining allowances over Hot Finished Seamless (HFS).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:02:31 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: