April 23, 2024, 08:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: regulations for LED lights  (Read 15389 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:26 PM »

had a look through the forum but cant see if anyone has asked but what is the mot rules about LED tail lights and indicators? i now through a friend that say an indicator may have clear lens but must flash orange  so would that mean a tail light may have a clear lens but must show red , this is for a bike not a trike so no fog light required , the reg plate light just has to be clear so can be a LED and if it is ok to use LEDs as a trail light does it have to be a minimum size ?, when at shows you see bikes with led light but these are normally the american looking show bikes not home builds . thanks for any help i wouldnt want to make up custom lights to find out they are no use   
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »

Hiya,
haven't got the MOT regs here, but can't find any mention of LEDs in the MSVA regs. As far as I can see there wouldn't be a problem though. Any thoughts people?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »

I think the regs for LEDs are prolly the same as for any other lights - ie, colour, brightness etc.  Don't think there are specific regs for LEDs - just my opinion mind.

There are so many vehicles using LEDs now they're obviously legal!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
blair

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »

thanks for the reply , i was wanting to make my own light unit up for the rear end to keep it slim , i know i face the usual problems of were do you put the reg plate but if i can make lights to suit then it would maybe it would help , thanks again

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

On an ad for LED tail lights it says

This unique 12V LED stop/tail light unit incorporates LED's instead of standard twin filament bulbs. A triple row bed of bright LED's illuminate to act as a brake and tail light, reaction time being noticeably brighter and quicker compared to standard twin filament bulbs. Fully E-marked.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »

try here http://www.chopperbuilder.co.uk/ go to the forums find the tech faq area Sooze has done loads on all manner of things, ive looked through it aint seen nothing on led's but lots on lighting

More metal than skin
blair

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »

thats handy info BG if you can buy them off the shelf then they must be serviceable , VB already had a look and couldnt find anything about LEDs , i wonder though if there is a set size of light or a minimum set distance for the light to be visible , my old trial bike had an off the shelf unit that was about the size of a match box but the snag was the bulb melted the lens . my friend is a sales man at a local dealer i may just ask him to ask the mot tester , to see if he would pass it and i will let you now what he says , maybe handy info 
yoda
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »

as long as the brake lights are brighter than the normal tail lights
and the tail lights must be of normal brightness then there are no specific rules

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 09:10:36 PM »

Manky posted a link to leds etc ...http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »

If you can find him, ByzMax is a bit of an authority on LEDs. He used to post here but not seen or heard from him in a while, but I think he still posts on ChopperBuilder. As far as the MSVA regs go, if it's not mentioned it can't be tested, so I guess that applies to LEDs too.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »

The one's on the Trike have got through 1 MOT so far.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
blair

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »

i spoke to the tester at my mates work and he said he couldnt see any reason to fail lights made from LEDs as long as they show as bright as standard bulbs at least as it doesnt matter what kind of bulb is used,and also the lens cover can be clear  " as used on lexus motors " was the term he used  . but i never asked if the bullbs have tro be covered by a lens so i shall ask next time im in past .
SteveRedd

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »

try here http://www.chopperbuilder.co.uk/ go to the forums find the tech faq area Sooze has done loads on all manner of things, ive looked through it aint seen nothing on led's but lots on lighting

you'd do a lot better going to WWW.BritChopper.co.uk and asking her directly

Growing up is Optional
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »

hell yeah but dont shoot the messenger will you Smiley

More metal than skin
blair

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »

well i have done extensive research and asked as many MOT type tester people that i guess would know and they all say that there would be no problem with LEDs as ling as the stop side is brighter than the rear light side , i think you now what i mean , and all ok on the indicator front as well so looking good for me to manufacture really crap looking light units then .   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: