April 28, 2024, 07:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sprocket alignment would this work ?  (Read 4307 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« on: November 07, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »

hi all . not quite ready to start a thread on my chopper project yet as i am still gathering bits , but i was trying a gsx back wheel into the frame of a gpz 550 and the first obvious thing is that the sprockets do not line up as the gpz engine is narrower that the gsx ,
Option 1 to move the block over but this would unbalance the bike and look a bit odd
option 2 would be to  ;machine down the sprocket carrier somehow
Option 3 if i take a front brake disc of a car and bolt it wear the sprocket originally went  and then attach  the sprocket onto the main disc part thus bringing the sprockets back into line . if this is just a stupid idea let me know or if anyone has done this before let me know if it was any good
cheers  Grin
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

hhmmm was doing ok til option 3.
would you like to clarify that a little Huh are you talking of engine sprocket Huh to fit the car front disc on to the main output shaft Huh

or have i missed something Roll Eyes

Grin Grin

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:19:12 PM »

Confused me a little too Pete. I was hoping someone else would ask before I had to make myself look dumb by enquiring further!  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »

Sounds to me like he's talking about using the brake disc as some kind of spacer?  Not sure how though!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
blair

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »

ok so i might need to explain option 3  a little better

take a standard gsx wheel with cush drive attached but sprocket removed , then ( my god i should be on blue peter ) take a front brake disc from a feista or nova and attach this using the sprocket studs so that the actual disc part is positioned closer back towards the wheel and then re-attach the rear sprocket onto the disc face in line with the front sprocket. now i know this would involve some machining but unless there is a norrower cush drive that would fit a gsx back wheel ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »

I understand what you're saying now & I can't see why it wouldn't work, though it might raise a few eyebrows at the MOT station. As long as it's securely mounted though, shouldn't be a problem. Can't help thinking there must be a less convoluted answer though.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »

Nope, I still can't see it!  In my imagination that pushes the sprocket even wider.....

Oh well, tisn't something I'll be tackling any time soon so I think my best plan is I won't worry about it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
blair

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »

bikergran imagine the disc turned around to face in wards . ok take the front nearside of car , take off the wheel and you will see the disc faces in , take the disc of and fit onto rear sprocket carrier in the same way so it brings the disc closer the the wheel hub . i know this may be a long winded way of getting modern wheels onto my chop but i wasnt wanting to use the old gpz units . oh and mankey monkey i have almost finished my frame jig  just awating the head stock holder and cones from the machine shop and i should be good to go 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:07 PM »

Great! So you'll be sending us a techy write up on building the jig & the frame then?  Grin

trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »

ok so i might need to explain option 3  a little better

take a standard gsx wheel with cush drive attached but sprocket removed , then ( my god i should be on blue peter ) take a front brake disc from a feista or nova and attach this using the sprocket studs so that the actual disc part is positioned closer back towards the wheel and then re-attach the rear sprocket onto the disc face in line with the front sprocket. now i know this would involve some machining but unless there is a norrower cush drive that would fit a gsx back wheel ?

Yeah, that would work. What distance mis-alignment are you talking of 10mm 20mm? can you fit the caliper as well to have brake working on the same side/disc/sprocket..."disc-ket" ? could the engine/g-box sprocket be moved out to line up with existing rear sprocket? will chain clear tyre?
good luck with it Grin

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »

could the engine/g-box sprocket be moved out to line up with existing rear sprocket? will chain clear tyre?

Those were my thoughts too.  Not that I've ever built anything you understand, just that I am cursed with a logical brain which doesn't always make the leap.......   Huh
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:28:40 PM by BikerGran » Logged

blair

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 06:38:02 PM »

not that i have done precise measurements but it looks about 40 mm pete , it would be imposible to fit the caliper onto the same side as the chain and sprocket would get in the way . the output shaft probably can be  extended but as i dont want to strip the gear box this was the only way i could solve the problem but as this may be a completely stupid idea and may have to wait till project number 2 ( zx650 chopper only  because i have the bits not because i have a thing for kawas )   as the 650 is a wider block than the 550 . and i do have wheels to fit but they have drum brakes and id prefer discs cause it would be easier to fit the forward controls
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: