March 29, 2024, 11:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nelsons Diner, Kingsclere, Hants.  (Read 19504 times)
saddlebags

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »

Thats all well and good but what are the portions like?
lunatic

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

It used to be a little chef. I used to go in there for some brekky while my car was moted at the garage next door. It would be nice to meet out there on a sunday.
But what are the portions like? Grin
flap

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 08:16:38 PM »

Would you like a large portion, said the vicar to the nun  Shocked Grin

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »

Yeah. you're right, it was a Little Thief, not a Wimpy.
Portions? Dunno, go along & find out! We only had tea & french fries but no complaints.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 10:50:15 PM »

Janie, Dave & I dropped in again this evening after a visit to the Milestones museum in Basingstoke, (see the Favourite Places to Visit bit of the main site).
Verdict: Great service. Very friendly & eager to please. A little pricey, (5 - 7 quid for a burger & fries), but good food. Portions big enough for us to waddle out feeling distinctly bloaty afterwards.
Wanna know why it's called Nelson's? It was the name of a donkey born in the 60s in the field where the diner now stands! 

flap

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 08:21:53 AM »

Where's that Donkey now, in your burger  Grin

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 10:47:25 AM »

Yeah, they've missed out on a good marketing opportunity there haven't they. I'll mention it next time we drop in.

40 Sedan

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »

We met at Nelsons a couple of weeks ago for brekkie before doing the FBHVC drive it day over in Bishopstone, great venue for a monthly cruise night, I heard a club used to meet there, Fuelers or something???  Does anything happen there??
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:51 PM »

Not sure if they've changed their opening times, (maybe longer during the Summer months?), but they used to shut at around 7pm, which would mess up an evening club meet. We've talked of having a breakfast run there when we've finally got some vehicles on the road.
Taz & I called in at "Starvin' Marvins" on the A40, opposite the Hoover Building on the outskirts of London, on Wednesday evening. Similar American style diner. We decided Nelsons was better value -cheaper with bigger portions & a very friendly atmosphere.

JayJay

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 11:35:30 PM »

This a thread from the past but Chevy Rick and I called in today as we were at a small show in Thatcham.

We were a bit disappointed with the diner. I don't know if you were better off in those days Andy or whether they have put their prices up!  Parking was pretty naff to. There doesn't seem to be enough for a full patronage and it was quite busy.

Maybe most diners fall short because they are trying to capture something that was of an age. Food in the USA has also been quite cheap for a long time so eating out over there is not so expensive and therefore is more common than here. 

We did once go to a really nice diner in Southsea near Portsmouth but I think that might have since closed. Mind you that was quite dear but they had really gone out of their way to capture the look and feel, including some great mural style artwork which showed 50s cars as if you were looking at them in the car park.  It was very clever. In instances like that you don't mind paying more.

Can anyone recommend any other diners we could visit? (As long as it isn't the one about 30 miles from Essex Arena.  Been there and never again. The only thing that made that a diner was the authentic looking sign in front of it!).

JJ  Roll Eyes  Wink

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »

Nelsons are advertising for extra staff at the moment ready for expansion. The petrol station next door's just been revamped, including a supermarket & I think the diner will get a make over too to catch the extra trade.

Chevy Rick

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »

Angry £10 to £15 and on up the price went for a burger, £2 for a cup of tea, I think they were taking the wee wee,how do they cope with wide American cars i had to pull out of the parking space to let JJ get back in the car, NOT IMPRESSED   Roll Eyes
the coppersmith

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »

The litte chef at the top of Haldon hil at Exeter has become a american theme cafe, but on the one heading west they have called it the Haldon Forest Diner. Loads of parking and very good facilities. They do an all day roast, fantastic value and the waitress sizes you up so you get a decent portion. Worth a try if your heading West on the A38
JayJay

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:16 PM »

Cheers for that Coppersmith.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »

I passed Nelsons Diner this evening & spotted this outside.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:13:34 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: