April 27, 2024, 02:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1549481 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1605 on: November 03, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »

With the bed framework laid back in place on top of the chassis, I can now cut & tack in various cross members to provide a floor strong enough to support people sitting in the back at shows.  Smiley Obviously I can't run any cross members over the top of the battery or I won't be able to lift it in & out.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #1606 on: November 04, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

excellent progress.
i've had 2 days(8hrs a time) of being soaked through(even money in me wallet was wet!!!)

spanners

« Reply #1607 on: November 04, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »

excellent progress.
i've had 2 days(8hrs a time) of being soaked through(even money in me wallet was wet!!!)

bloody hell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mug him  he,s got money in his wallet !!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1608 on: November 04, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »

If you put the notes in your tumble dryer to dry out would it be money laundering?
Had a puncture on my daily commuter car a day or two ago, which turned out to be a dented wheel rim. Took it to a local refurbishment company yesterday afternoon, who straightened it out -well rounded it out anyway. Collected it after work this afternoon. 30 quid. Good service & cheap too -assuming it stays inflated. Valuable Pop building time was lost in collecting the wheel & refitting it today. Oh, & I got rained on again.
So today's workshop visit was reduced to digging the Pop fuel tank out of the spares pile & trying it in place, before deciding on the position of the pick-up bed cross members & starting to cut them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:17:19 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1609 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »

In a standard "sit up & beg" Ford Pop, the tank lays horizontally under the boot floor, with the long filler neck extending up to the rear bodywork. We plan to stand ours on edge, supported in a stylish but sturdy cradle bolted to the pick-up bed. The filler neck will be cut off & blanked off & a "Monza" style flip up cap fitted to the top edge. The fuel gauge sender unit & fuel line feed will also be moved.
I'll add equally spaced cross members across the bed, plus a couple going the other way, spaced for the feet of the tank cradle to sit on.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:00:08 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #1610 on: November 05, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »

thats looking kewl mucka Grin

More metal than skin
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1611 on: November 05, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »

Obviously I can't run any cross members over the top of the battery or I won't be able to lift it in & out.

Wish someone had had that thought when they rebuilt my mini trike....................

Undecided

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1612 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »

Oops!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1613 on: November 06, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

Another fleeting visit to the workshop tonight. Loony & I cut another cross member then tacked them all in place, equi-distantly, (good word huh). As the rear tank will hang below the bed, we'll probably end up adding another cross member in above it. We plan to use a ribbed steel sheet, available from the local auto factors, for the bed floor. With the raised ribs running the opposite way to the cross members, it should make it all good 'n' strong.
Tomorrow we'll start on the sides.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:12:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #1614 on: November 06, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »

I'm envious mate, work and other things slowing me down at the moment Angry may need to take some time off soon  Wink Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1615 on: November 06, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

Yeah, work gets in the way of the rest of your life don't it!
The Post Office strike planned for today was called off at the last minute last night -Taz & I learnt of it from the TV news while we were sat in the local BurgerKing. It was our day off yesterday so if Taz could've got today off work we might have gone away somewhere for a night. Good job we didn't. 4 of our Posties obviously don't watch the news, so will get docked a day's pay. Could've done with spending the day working on the truck. Can't wait to get the side panel framework together & maybe roll it outside for a better look.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1616 on: November 07, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

One of the 4 Posties who didn't turn in for work on the proposed strike day yesterday is now in hospital. No, not heavy handed management. Someone went to his house to tell him the strike had been called off & found him slumped unconscious at the bottom of his stairs. He lives on his own, so if the strike had gone ahead, probably wouldn't have been found till today. Haven't heard what was wrong with him yet. Weird how fate works sometimes ain't it.
Another busy day at work, clearing the backlog of mail. Almost back to normal again now. So just a couple of hours at LoonyLand this afternoon.
When I started on Taz's trike project I bought a pile of ERW tubing in various sizes, including 10 feet of 2 inch bore. Only needed a few inches for the axle clamps but they wouldn't sell me less than 10 feet! It was chopped roughly in half to fit in the back of my car, then a length big enough for her clamps cut off. I want to create a radiused top edge to the pick-up bed, so I dragged it out from the scrap pile today. Perfect diameter, but unfortunately one half was too long & the other too short.
So I spent my couple of workshop hours today cutting the long one to size, then using the off-cut to extend the short one. As is my usual practice, I spliced the 2 tubes together using a sleeve made from a length of the same pipe, sliced down it's length & squeezed in the vice until it's a tight push fit inside the tube ends. In this instance there's no joint strength required, but the sleeve helps to keep the 2 sections nice & straight & true. I drilled through the outer tube into the sleeve, then button welded the 2 together to stop the sleeve moving inside the tube. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:25:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1617 on: November 07, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »

Tapped the 2 sections together with a big mallet, leaving a gap to weld in, (about 5mm). I also drilled the other half of tube & welded through it into the sleeve.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:26:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1618 on: November 07, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

Finally I welded the joint, a little at a time, moving from one side of the tube to the other , rather than one continous weld, to minimise heat distortion. Unlikely, given the thickness of the tube & length of sleeve, but good practice anyway. Then I ground it almost flush & finished off with a hand file. All that work & no-one will even notice -but then, that's the idea.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1619 on: November 07, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »

Once I've cut & welded the box section side uprights in place, the tubes will lay along the top of them to create a rolled edge. They'll sit at the same height as the swage line on the doors, (same height as the panel joint under the back window). This is a very common design for custom pick-up sides, but works well I think. Also quite traditional is mounting round lights in the ends of the tubes, but which ones? The running lights or indicators? Or neither? Loony suggested pointy Cadillac tail lights, but I don't think they'd suit the truck's style. It's a Brit rod so should use British parts. Besides, I've already bought some round, fairly flat light units, as shown previously in this thread.
PD's well over 6 feet tall, but with him stood alongside the Pop, you can see just how low it is.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: