April 26, 2024, 02:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1547890 times)
madron

« Reply #1185 on: April 07, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »

manky just a thought kingpins avnt siezed while its been stood had this on a transit all it needed was some grease after warming up a bit
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1186 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

Everything works fine when the front end's jacked up off the ground Ron. It's just when the full weight of the engine/chassis is resting on it that the steering becomes so heavy. It may just be that we've only got the steering column propped in place in the cab & no grease in the steering box. Not been able to work on it this week, but will hit it again next week & get it properly bolted in, then see how it fares.
Never built a car from scratch like this before, so it's all new to us. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #1187 on: April 08, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »

You will never get it to work if it's not bolted down. Sure it will get sorted  Wink

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1188 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »

Picked up a possible set of rear lights for the Pop today at the Picket Piece Spring vehicle meet.
A tenner for the pair. 3 inch diameter lenses. I'd have to adapt them to take dual filament bulb holders though, for stop/tail lamps.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1189 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »

I'm keeping all my digits firmly crossed, but we just might have sussed the stiff steering problem.
We're using a standard Ford Pop steering box, connected by 2 UJs to the steering column. That meant shortening the Pop steering column & adding a splined end section in place of the steering wheel to take the UJs. The column screws in & out of the box to turn the Pitman arm, which in turn steers the wheels.
Check the photos & you'll see there's a collar pressed onto the shaft. A tapered collar slips over the thread. the taper forms one side of the ball bearing race. Then the bearings go in, followed by a tapered nut, which forms the top of the bearing race, then a lock nut.
The tapered collar should be free to slip over the thead, but ours was solid. We assumed it was meant to be like that. That meant that as the steering column was turned, winding itself in & out of the box, the fixed collar was trying to drag the ball bearing assembly out of the end of the outer column sleeve, rather than the column passing through the bearings. It couldn't so the whole assembly locked up.
I know that makes no sense at all, unless you can see it in action, but trust me, it's a very simple cock up, maybe self inflicted by us, maybe not, that's easily fixed by rebuilding the old steering box with parts from the spare one I bought for a tenner at the NSRA swapmeet. Steering's still heavy when the car's stationary, but the wheels do turn.
Result! We hope.

Mr_G

« Reply #1190 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:57 PM »

Glad you cracked your stearing issues matey. Hope everything else goes more smoothly for ya.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Firery Fred

« Reply #1191 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »

Hurrah!  Grin

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1192 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »

I shall Hurrah when it's all fitted & working!
Loony's been eyeing up the power steering column for his long-term Volksrod project, so it won't go to waste. Really hope we can keep the Pop all fairly basic & retro though.

Mr_G

« Reply #1193 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »

Makes it more authentic I suppose and less to go wrong?!

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1194 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »

Gear selector arrived safely today Andy. Are the washers meant to be that thick? I managed to get it to lock in park but not in reverse (or the other way round) will try some different washers and see if I can get it to work in all positions before I send it back.

Rod has been remade in ali as you requested, just need to finish the knob.

Will keep you posted pictures an all ASAP.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1195 on: April 17, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »

That was quick. Ain't our postal system wonderful.  Smiley I didn't post it till 1.30 yesterday afternoon.
Loony & I shoved the washers under the base plate before I posted it to you, cos there didn't seem enough travel on the plunger to lift the selector pin over the ratchet -sorry folks, just talk amongst yourselves for a minute- so they were just a couple of old washers from the spares shelf. If you can make it all work without them, then that's fine. Wondered whether an aluminium operating rod would wear quickly, but I guess it'll be fine? 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:05:58 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

TwistedPatience

« Reply #1196 on: April 17, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »

Already thought of the wear thing,  will get some Stainless.

poprodder

« Reply #1197 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

Already thought of the wear thing,  will get some Stainless.

stainless!! Shocked  not very retro, what you need is some rusty old steel Grin

TwistedPatience

« Reply #1198 on: April 17, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

I agree Poprodder, I did suggest brass but Manky is allergic to brass I think Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1199 on: April 17, 2009, 07:13:06 PM »

Twisted's slowly stockpiling the entire country's brass reserves. Where there's brass there's muck, or something like that.
No other brass parts in the Pop, so it would kinda clash with the black & red colour scheme I think. The stainless rod is the bit operated by the button on top of the gearknob, that locks out the gears in the Rover auto box. So it's hidden inside the chrome gearstick.
The base plate of the gear selector's slightly twisted, making gear changing a little sticky. We're worried it'll break if we try to straighten it. Don't suppose anyone's got a spare Rover P6 gearbox selector gate?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: