March 28, 2024, 03:26:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537264 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1080 on: March 02, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

While Taz & I were at the NSRA swapmeet in Essex yesterday, I picked up another Pop steering column & steering box for a tenner. Actually I mercilessly haggled the seller down to £9.58 -all the loose change I had in my pocket at the time. An expensive way to get the nut I need to replace the broken one, but at least I'll have a spare steering box as well.
You can see how much I've shortened down the column here, ready to connect up to the Morris Minor shaft.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:27:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1081 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »

I need an M10 tap to cut a new mounting bolt thread in the side of the steering box. Bought this rather natty boxed set of taps & dies at the swapmeet for 20 quid.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1082 on: March 02, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

I also found a new air cleaner for the Holley carb for 8 quid, plus chatted to a guy doing CNC machined parts, who can make me an angled carb spacer block if I need it, to level the carb up once it's fitted.

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #1083 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »

sounds good so far then keep at it m8e

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1084 on: March 03, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »

Came across this Ford Prefect front end at the swapmeet. Transverse spring, lever arm dampers, panhard rod...  bugger. Beaten to it -by about 50 years or so.
Well at least we know we're on the right track then.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:29:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1085 on: March 06, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »

Thanks to big brother Brock, the panhard rod's made, using a length of tube with threaded inserts in each end to take left & right handed 10mm rose joints. We've also re-made the drag link in tube as I'm told it's much stronger than solid bar.
Haven't had much time to spend in the shed lately but this morning I finished knocking up a drop bracket to attach the panhard rod to the front of the chassis. The rod needs to run horizontally, the same as the drag link, so needs to lay 3 inches below the chassis so that the other end can attach to the axle. Now I can go back to Loony's workshop & measure up for the mounting on the axle end of the rod.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1086 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »

Stripped down the spare steering column I bought at the swapmeet to retrieve the conical nut that locates the ball bearings.
Old nut. New nut.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:12:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1087 on: March 06, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »

Fitted the shortened outer sleeve into the steering box, drilled & tapped the joint between the 2 & pinned the sleeve in place with 3 short 6mm allen bolts.
Then I screwed in the inner shaft, popped in new ball bearings & fitted the conical nut & lock nut. Steering box sorted.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1088 on: March 06, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »

There's an upcoming trend in the custom bike world at the moment for "steam punk" -mock Victorian engineering. I think this box, with it's rivets & stuff, looks like it could've been part of a Jules Verne creation.  Cheesy

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »

There's an upcoming trend in the custom bike world at the moment for "steam punk" -mock Victorian engineering. I think this box, with it's rivets & stuff, looks like it could've been part of a Jules Verne creation.  Cheesy

A so fashion has caught up with me again!

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1090 on: March 07, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »

We follow where you lead Doc!  Cool

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1091 on: March 07, 2009, 09:51:29 PM »

Called at Loony's after work today & checked the panhard rod will fit where I want it to. No problem, so we measured up for the mounting boss to be welded to the axle to take the other end -check your emails Doc, I'll send you the dimensions later.
Loony & PD had to work on a customer's car with the workshop roller shutter door open the other day in a torrential downpour. I was quite shocked at how rusty the front of the Pop was today. Hopefully it's just surface stuff & will come off when the parts are shot-blasted & powder-coated.
It'd be nice to get all the front end fabrication finished, so back in the shed at home this evening, I made a start on the headlight mounts. The lights are actually tractor units, bought at a steam rally last year for a tenner each brand new. They have dip & main beam, plus a side light & proper patterned lens. Slightly smaller than original Pop lights.
I'll mount them in short lengths of ERW tube, with a captive nut welded in the top. The wires will run down inside the curved arms. The arms are over-length at the moment. They'll probably be as long as the unpainted bits when they're done & will be welded to the front corners of the chassis, which will help soften the pointy corners.   

poprodder

« Reply #1092 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »

hi,
more progress, well done.
cheers chris.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:11:13 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1093 on: March 09, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »

Taz was working yesterday, (Sunday), so I'd intended to spend a leisurely afternoon, pottering in the shed. Unfortunately the pottering gods had other ideas. We had a howling gale here yesterday with intermittant rain & minus temperatures. When I went out to the shed I was greeted by a large chunk of the roofing felt flapping in the wind. So my afternoon was mainly spent up a ladder, tacking it all back down & slapping a thick coat of bitumen on it.
I did manage to get the headlight brackets done, but had to work very late into the night to do it, (sorry Taz, won't happen again, honest  Kiss ).
First I took the nuts that came with the lights & welded them into the ends of the short upright pieces of tube to form captive nuts for the lamps to screw into.
Next I decided the bottoms of those tubes should be domed rather than boringly flat. Not having access to a lathe or milling equipment, I had to improvise, so stacked 3 different sized washers on top of each other & tacked them all together. A thick bead of weld around each & half an hour of angle grinding & filing produced a pleasingly shapely bottom.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1094 on: March 09, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »

I plan to run the lighting wiring down inside the light brackets so had to drill a 13mm hole in the side of each mounting before they were welded to the arms.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:05:04 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: