April 25, 2024, 03:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1547431 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1020 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »

Still got them at Loony's place. Haven't thrown them away. What's the problem?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #1021 on: January 22, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »

not so much of a problem, more of a `could be an easy fix`. I`m looking for caliper mounts for an mgb axle, took some measurements yesterday and drawn up a preliminary sketch but before i take hacksaw to steel, bit of a long shot, old triumph, old mgb, what do you think the chances are they may fit my flange?

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1022 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

I haven't seen your flange,  Shocked  but it's worth a go isn't it. Shaun's using Triumph Spitfire hubs on his Pop. Don't know if they're the same as Triumph Vitesse, but might give you a second option. Mine are at Loony's place. I'll be there tomorrow so will bring them home. If they work for you, you're very welcome to them.

tbone

« Reply #1023 on: January 23, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

okey dokey, centre hole size isn`t so much of a problem as i`ll probably have the hubs machined to suit the discs, fingers crossed the other six holes may line up  Undecided

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1024 on: January 23, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

Just had a visit from Janie & Dave_Postie, on their way to visit Chevy Rick. Nice to see you guys.  Wink
Dave's had a clear out of his spares stash & brought me over a pair of brand new 3" chrome peep mirrors for my Pop. Still in their bags, 5 quid the pair. Thank you very much! They're intended to clip on the tops of the door frames, but with luck I can adapt them to fit on the top door hinges. Pop hinges are very ..sticky outy, & mine have already been drilled for mirrors by a previous owner.
Thanks Dave.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1025 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1026 on: January 25, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »

Hadn't noticed that those mirrors are both right hand ones. Not sure if they're reversible, but if not I'll just use one & keep the other as a spare. Decided to fit it on a mount welded to the top of the driver's door frame.
The caliper plates are made & fitted in place with some temporary bolts. It was only a scruffy paper template, so I had to slot the mounting holes a little to line them up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:23:00 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1027 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »

6mm flat steel plate brackets. They need a spacer between the back of the plates & the calipers to centralise the caliper over the disc, but they only need to be the thickness of one & a half washers.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1028 on: January 25, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »

Time to try the wheel in place ...phew! They fit & spin quite happily without fouling on anything.
Sorted.  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1029 on: January 25, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »

One of PD's mates arrived with a Monkey bike in the back of a van. 6 foot 2 & 15 stone & he plans to get it road legal & commute to work on it. It'll fit in his locker at work! He'd tried everything to get it running though, without success. 5 minutes of PDness & it was chugging away quite happily. Obviously PD had to give it a roadtest.  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1030 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »

The doors of the Pop are still welded shut at the moment, keeping the body solid until we get some decent framework inside it. We've started work on the steering though so need to work out steering column angle, clearance for pedals etc. Someone was going to have to squeeze inside. With a 3 inch roofchop the windows are now too low for me to climb through -yeah, chubby Monkey.  Sad
So Loony clambered in. I'm 6 foot. He's about 6, 2, but reports it as being suprisingly roomy. With a passenger, it'll be shoulder to shoulder as Pop body shells are quite narrow, but lengthwise, not bad. One thing we hadn't realised -if we put the seats right back against the cab rear panel, the view through the chopped screen is quite restricted. Pulling them forward a few inches improves things. It'll also give me room to stuff a jacket down the back of them!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1031 on: January 25, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »

The footwells are a little snug but as we're using an automatic gearbox, there'll only be 2 pedals, which will be operated with the right foot, switching between the 2. Enough room for both feet but it'd be a squeeze trying to operate a clutch pedal as well with big boots on.
We want to keep the steering as simple as possible. The universal joint I bought from Pop Browns to join the Pop shaft to the Moggy column will angle to a maximum of 30 degrees. Any further & we risk it binding as it turns. So we thought we might need 2 UJs, to give us the correct angle. Turned out 30 degrees is spot on, with the UJ & shafts clearing the engine & exhausts nicely. That's handy.
We tried the Bakalite Ford Prefect dashboard in place. It fits straight into the Pop shell. The steering column will hang 4 or 5 inches below it. Can't go any lower or the wheel will make climbing into the seat very awkward.
Also propped the standard Rover P6 auto gearstick in place. We're going to make up a bracket to bolt it directly to the top of the gearbox, then cut the gearbox tunnel around it, with a covering plate. Gearstick position seems fine.
So all in all, looking O.K  Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #1032 on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »

hi,
excellent progress, caliper mountings look good, is 6mm thick enough? was going to make mine outa 10mm!!! but don't think theres enough room then for mounting bolts.
looks like loads of room inside, rodders haunch methinks!!!     lol

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1033 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »

The stresses are rotational, rather than lateral -when you brake, the plates try to turn with the wheel, rather than trying to bend across their width. So 6mm should be fine.
Even with the roofchop, there's still plenty of room for a jaunty hat.  Smiley

panthershaun

« Reply #1034 on: January 26, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »

Take the screw out the back and then reverse the arm and re screw the mirror back on

I think Huh Grin
Just had a visit from Janie & Dave_Postie, on their way to visit Chevy Rick. Nice to see you guys.  Wink
Dave's had a clear out of his spares stash & brought me over a pair of brand new 3" chrome peep mirrors for my Pop. Still in their bags, 5 quid the pair. Thank you very much! They're intended to clip on the tops of the door frames, but with luck I can adapt them to fit on the top door hinges. Pop hinges are very ..sticky outy, & mine have already been drilled for mirrors by a previous owner.
Thanks Dave.  Smiley

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: