April 26, 2024, 05:04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1547939 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #900 on: November 26, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »

I've got to mount a numberplate on the front end somewhere but not sure where to put it. Got to be full legal size, but could be a square motorcycle sized one, (9" x 7"), rather than the usual car size, (20 1/2" x 4 1/2" I think). I'm tempted to recess it into the bottom of the grille, but seems a shame to ruin the line of the grille opening cos that's the most recognisable part of a Pop, plus it would obstruct air flow to the radiator. A lot of rodders mount it behind the grille, which is a bit iffy & I can't see the SVA or MOT guys being happy with that, plus it would still impede the airflow. There's not really room to hang it underneath the grille. Is it legal to mount it to one side? if so, where? Would it ruin the look of the front end if I did?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:18:09 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
panthershaun

« Reply #901 on: November 26, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

could try the front axle, off to one side Undecided Undecided

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #902 on: November 26, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »

could try the front axle, off to one side Undecided Undecided

Was thinkin' the same as that.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
davesatan

« Reply #903 on: November 26, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »

could it go on the roof

how long is a piece of hope
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #904 on: November 26, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »

Where do other people put them?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
53catalina

« Reply #905 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

you could get a sticker type one, like the old e-types used. No mounting holes required  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #906 on: November 27, 2008, 12:49:13 AM »

On the roof like a taxi sign?  Smiley
Not sure if the self adhesive ones would comply with SVA regs & not really enough flat surface to mount it on. Looks like it'll have to be a square one squeezed in between the side of the grille & the wheel. I know trikes are supposed to have centrally mounted rear plates & if you put it to one side, you have to have a matching one on the other side! Is there a preferred side, left or right, for mounting front plates?

tbone

« Reply #907 on: November 27, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »

Take a look here http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#10 for your no. plate regulations

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #908 on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:12 PM »

Thanks for that TB.
So, as far as I can make out, the front plate can be mounted centrally or to either side, but must be viewable from both head on & from an angle -for example 45 degrees. Which means if I set it on the axle between grille & wheel, both would probably obscure it from view unless I bring it out level with the grille. I suspect the MOT guys would be less picky about that than the SVA chaps, so maybe put it slap bang in the middle of the grille for the test, then move it to the side once it's declared road worthy.

tbone

« Reply #909 on: November 27, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »

Yep, that sums up how i read it too. Seems that as long as its visable (to a speed camera ?) it can go just about anywhere, as you say, i dont think the MOT guys will be to concerned, as long as its there and readable, cant comment on the SVA cos i`ve had no dealings with them.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

Not planning on deliberately breaking any laws, but looks like a few things will be tweaked a little once the test is out of the way. To qualify for a commercial vehicle SVA, which is apparently much easier to pass than a normal car one, the pick-up bed must be at least as long as the cab. Proportionally, that's just about the length we had in mind, but they stipulate that has to be clear pick-up bed floor area, not including fuel tanks etc. Which is a bugger cos we plan to mount the original Pop fuel tank in the bed, tucked up under the rear window. So we might have to mount the tank under the chassis, behind the rear axle, like the original Pop, to give us the required bed area, then move it later. Loony reckons we should turn up for the test with just a carbful of petrol & no tank at all!   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #911 on: November 29, 2008, 12:04:50 AM »

We were chatting to a couple of Surrey Street Rodders members this evening. Seems the SVA test makes way for the BIVA test at the end of March. However, the testers have to be trained on the new regs so they're not taking on any tests at all during March -which means we've got just 3 months to build & register the Pop.  Shocked
No-one knows what's involved in the new test yet -how are we supposed to build to regulations that we don't yet know?

tbone

« Reply #912 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:31 AM »

Does the BIVA then bring us into line with the rest of europe? or should that be europe in line with us? Either way i cant really see that it will alter radicaly from the SVA, as surely we are currently stricter than the european guidelines.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #913 on: November 29, 2008, 12:26:55 AM »

Nobody seems to know -that's the problem. Lots of scare-mongering going on at the moment on the forums. Like me, anyone in the middle of building anything is now panicking & racing to get a registration plate before the window closes. But as Loony & I've been saying, if we put the Pop in for testing in bare metal, we can tack weld all sorts of protective shields over anything they take exception to, then pull them off afterwards.
A bit of racing against the clock this afternoon -the pre Christmas postal rush has already started, with everyone buying their Christmasses online this year & me having to deliver it all. So I didn't finish work till 3 this afternoon. Then I jumped in the car & headed from Hampshire into Berkshire to pick up the Pop wheels from the powder-coaters in Newbury. Ooh, them's purdy! Nice clean, simple gloss black. 25 quid a wheel for shot-blasting & coating.
Back in the car, back through Basingstoke to Aldershot, to North Hants Tyres. Managed to get there half an hour before they shut & had a set of 4 new Excelsior cross-plies fitted. 70 quid each. I know it's a personal taste thing, but I think tall truck tyres on 50s style rods look cool.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:44:15 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #914 on: November 29, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »

The back of the Pop chassis has become a temporary workbench/storage area! Laying underneath the car are a couple of lengths of 2 inch bore ERW tubing, which will form the rolled top edge of the pick-up bed sides.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:45:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: