April 25, 2024, 10:05:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1547796 times)
brock

« Reply #885 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:23 AM »

I see the Loon is still having trouble grasping the fundamentals of trike riding
tazet
« Reply #886 on: November 20, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

hehe thats wot kitchens were made for!!! Grin Grin Cool

It's only in the Kitchen because it was not full of fuel when Manky got it oh and it's warmer in the house  Grin Manky has been doing a lot of welding and grinding in the shed so not the best place to try and get the carb re-done.
lunatic

« Reply #887 on: November 20, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »

I see the Loon is still having trouble grasping the fundamentals of trike riding
Thats why it was so difficult to get it to the workshop!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #888 on: November 20, 2008, 11:50:37 PM »

Loony's been propping panels in place to see how they look. Looks fine to me.
The pale blue arched sections are all that's left of the original Pop inner wings. We cut off the rest & threw it away. The front edges will need a little trimming to blend into the cut-down rad shell, but otherwise they should be O.K. By the time everything's properly fitted all the sticky-out SVA unfriendly engine bits should be safely covered. The front corners of the chassis will be rounded off with the addition of tubular headlamp brackets.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #889 on: November 21, 2008, 12:08:40 AM »

The Holley carb I want to use is exactly the same height as the twin SUs fitted at the moment, but will be taller when we fit an air filter of some sort. As the SUs seem to work, we'll probably run it as it is for the test, then poke a filter through the bonnet afterwards. Brock gave me a triangular mesh filter, but it won't fit under the bonnet, so I'm thinking maybe one of those polished circular ones, like a big funnel thingy. That'll require cutting a circular hole in the bonnet, which means it won't hinge anymore as the 2 top panels will need to be welded together.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:09:20 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #890 on: November 21, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »

Why cant you have a hole in the bonnet but leave the hinges for and aft of the hole?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #891 on: November 21, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »

I was thinking something like Brock's got on the Black Pig.
To allow the bonnet sections to hinge upwards the hole would have to be a large oval shape wouldn't it?
Might be easier to have it as a complete one piece lift off panel, held with Dzeutz fasteners at each corner or maybe the original Pop bonnet clips if we can make them work, or even short leather straps.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #892 on: November 21, 2008, 08:29:52 PM »

Took the wheels in for powder-coating in gloss black today. Should be ready next Friday. Then I can get the new tyres fitted so we can set everything up to suit, although I'll have to beg or borrow some spare rims to fit a set of cheap radials to for the SVA test. I've also bought some 1/2 inch round bar for the radiator supports. The tool shop I bought it from has a lathe onsite so threaded one end of each rod to 8mm for me. I'm making up flat tabs to weld to the other ends to mount them on the car.

panthershaun

« Reply #893 on: November 21, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »

although I'll have to beg or borrow some spare rims to fit a set of cheap radials to for the SVA test.

So you don't want to borrow mine then huh Sad Sad 2cv tyres not good enough for a Manky Pop then ehh ehhh Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #894 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »

I'll have to beg or borrow some spare rims to fit a set of cheap radials to for the SVA test.

What size?  We've got a set of Citroen BX wheels here with good tyres on.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #895 on: November 22, 2008, 01:10:48 AM »

15 inch fronts, 16 inch rears. Shaun, yours were the ones I was planning to nick, but it's the speed rating that's important for the SVA. Would 2CV tyres be rated high enough to cope with the Rover motor?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:56:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #896 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

Last night I made up some better bottom radiator mounts & took them to the workshop today. No pics but they're basically short lengths of tube with washers welded on either end, that will weld across the bottom of the legs I've already made. Much stronger & prettier than just a hole drilled through the tube.
I also sorted out mounting tabs on the ends of the round bars & corresponding tabs that will be welded to the radiator grille framework. This one's just propped in place, using a conveniently placed existing hole in the bulkhead. The threaded sections will be bolted through the bulkhead with a nut & big flat washer on either side. So the radiator's weight will be supported by the bottom legs welded to the chassis & the top will be braced by the 2 bars.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:33:11 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #897 on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »

It was getting late in the workshop yesterday evening so we popped the tack welded tubes back off the chassis & I took them home to work on. After I'd driven 38 miles home, had tea & fallen asleep in front of the telly, Tanya & I ended up out in the shed at midnight, measuring, cutting & welding the mounts.
We cut a pair of curving gussets from 3mm plate & welded them in place under the tube, then blanked off the open top ends of the tubes, before welding on the bottom sections that the rad bolts to.
After work today I took the completed arms back to Loony's, prettied the welds up with a handfile, then we welded them to the front of the chassis.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:03:46 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #898 on: November 25, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »

There's only one radius arm fitted at the moment, which is why the axle's at a funny angle, but you get the idea. The rad mounts curve over the top of the spring without hindering it's movement & with their triangular gussets sat against the face of the chassis, will hopefully be strong enough to support a radiator full of water.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #899 on: November 25, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »

I've posted pics of the radiator shell in place before, but this is with it actually bolted to the new mounts. Next job is to fit the top bracing bars, then see if the bonnet still lines up.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: