March 29, 2024, 11:42:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537660 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »

Yeah I know. New SVA regs due next year -European harmony & all that. So I've got to get this sorted & on the road this year. Two trikes & a pick-up to get built & registered. No more projects!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
panthershaun

« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »

No more projects!

Yeah Shocked righto mate Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »

Well, no more for this year anyway.

.....maybe. Tongue

Seriously, if I couldn't get the Pop registered for some reason, I'd still push on & build it & just take it drag racing instead. The latest round of SVA/TUV/MOT stuff sounds pretty scary but I prefer to live in hope, (maybe it's blind optimism, I dunno). The modified car & bike market's worth a fortune in this country -not just the custom crowd but the hothatch boys, the dayglo sports bike riders, the restoration chaps & everyone else. Lots of peers of the Realm pootling round the countryside in vintage motors & performance car owners with lots of cash & therefore lots of clout. Would they really let Parliament kill off the whole scene?
Yeah, they probably would, but I'm hoping there'll still be loopholes & clauses we can exploit.
Lots more things I want to build yet!

panthershaun

« Reply #543 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »

I know what you mean  Undecided but we have to live in hope  Grin and as you say most of the most powerful people in the country and no I don't mean the Queen or that muppet the PM drive around in Vintage cars or campaign some serious vintage specials so they may push to keep our life style alive Kiss

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #544 on: April 08, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »

Loony & I stripped down my Pop front axle today. Scraped off 55 years of gunge & thought about how we're going to mount it on the new chassis.
It'll hang on the new transverse spring in the same way the original did & be located by a radius rod on either side. The original used a short wishbone set-up. We've cut the cast ends off, that attach to the front beam, & will create extended arms using the rear ones. They'll end in rose joints attached to the chassis near the bulkhead.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:55:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

madron

« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »

you could try welding  a vertical U section on the end of the small bit you chopped off drilled for top and bottom bushes or rose joints and then fitting a four bar setup with a transverse bar from frame to axle for stability and if not using the front and or rear oval tubes can i have them to make some old school springer forks pretty please
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »

Smiley
We like the old school radius arm set-up Ron, & the idea of recycling parts of the original car -especially because it doesn't cost anything! You're welcome to the shorter original wishbone oval tubes but I guess they're too short? Not sure if Shaun's using his rear ones or not.

madron

« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »

the short ones i can use for short (bobber) springers and if shaun has a pair of rears i can make a pair for my chop can collect em when shabby comes down for body panels
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #548 on: April 10, 2008, 03:55:16 AM »

No problem. We'll try not to weld them to anything then.  Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »

are these any help.

panthershaun

« Reply #550 on: April 11, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

Are they up for crabs Chris? maybe we can do a deal Wink

Madron, I'm afraid I'm hanging on to all my bits at the moment until the beast is built, then some of the bits may be up for grabs but I do see a modified on the horizon Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:10:32 PM by panthershaun » Logged

tazet
« Reply #551 on: April 11, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »

Hey! Poacher! Think Manky gets first dibs on it as it's in his thread  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:24:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #552 on: April 11, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »

S'O.K Hon. We've got all the parts to build our own set up. Just a couple of questions Chris:
Why are your modified radius arms angled inwards? Your chassis looks narrower than mine, (we're planning on sitting the Rover motor down lower between the rails than yours).
Are you using the standard Pop spring? We've bought a new replacement from Speedway, 26 inches wide with reversed eyes, which we'll hang on new spring mounts from the original holes on the Pop beam. So the spring will sit diectly over the axle.
Are you trimming the back edge off the spring perch, where it overhangs the back of the front cross member?
How long are your radius arms & where do they attach to the chassis?
What steering box are you using & where does it mount in relation to the ends of the radius arms?
What hubs are you running on that beam?

madron

« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »

i only ask as i have an idea to build oval rear leg springers so i will wait till you have finished your builds and all i ask is you keep me in mind if you have anything left if you trade for other things thats what its all about but if left over rather me than the scrap man gets em lol
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »

Brock's just told me the angled radius arms are to allow extra clearance for the wheels on full lock -maybe we should be checking that!
Also the overhang on the spring perch may have a strengthening gusset underneath it.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: