March 28, 2024, 03:55:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537274 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #11175 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09:48 AM »

Sounds like your repeating your mistake from earlier Andy 😨? Working in that damp garage with spray paint just isn't going to work..maybe make some type of wooden spray booth around the axle and keep that area warm for a few hours?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11176 on: October 30, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »

I've got a pair of small camping heaters stood underneath it while I'm working on it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

« Reply #11177 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »

You need to have heat on it before/during/after working on it mate 👍😁

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11178 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »

I know -learnt that from working on the chassis. Maybe I should ship it out to you in the sunshine to paint for me?! Smiley

stinkey

« Reply #11179 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »

Can you imagine the cost 😨

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11180 on: October 31, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »

Smiley

stinkey

« Reply #11181 on: October 31, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »

I can send you some Spanish paint..it's warmer 🤣😎

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11182 on: October 31, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »

I've got a pair of small camping heaters stood underneath it while I'm working on it.

Presumably gas ones?   You do know that one of the products of combustion is water?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11183 on: October 31, 2019, 10:36:41 PM »

Butane. I have a couple of moisture traps in the garage -those plastic boxes full of granules that collect condensation. They usually need replacing about once a month.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11184 on: November 05, 2019, 06:48:52 PM »

Stoopid axle.
Stopped at my garage after work this afternoon, put the heaters on for an hour or so & squirted some more primer on the diff casing. Then I had to sit for another hour waiting for the paint to go off so I could switch the heaters off & come home. Looks a lot better in photos than it actually is, but not too bad. Still got the bracketry around the ends to sand.
Don't know how I'm going to paint the top coats. A previous owner had chemical mettall'd around the base of the diff housing, but the oil has got under it & lifted it -I have a vague recollection of it leaking last time it was on the road. There's no way I'm taking the housing off & disturbing the gears to replace the gasket, so I'll end up using a smear of Araldite around it I think, (hopefully I can make a better job of it with the axle out of the car). That means I need to fully paint the diff & bolt it down tight first, then Araldite it, then paint the tubes without damaging the diff paint -on an axle that weighs a bloomin' ton & is a nightmare to move about.
Once it's done & back in the car I'll be able to roll it out of the garage & turn it around. Lots of jobs, like brake lines, fuel lines etc can be done then, as well as trial fitting the tatty old doors before cleaning them up & painting them.
So-o-o much to do.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11185 on: November 05, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »

2 little butane camping heaters to warm the garage. Fortunately I've insulated the roof, so once it's warmed up, it's quite cosy in there.
I swore I wasn't going to spend another Winter in the garage, but looks like I'll be here till the Spring.
I've already booked the accomodation for the Dutch hotrod show in April, but have no idea if I'll be ready in time or if I'll be able to get the time off work.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11186 on: November 06, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »

Some gloss black on the axle this evening.
I'm only concerned with the diff housing at the moment & still have filler to sand around the bracketry on the tubes. Doesn't look too bad at the moment, but I'm sure it'll look horrendous in daylight. At least it's progress. Smiley
Yes, it's stupidly obsessive, but I'm going to run the pick-up bed without the floor, (I'm never going to carry anything in it anyway), so the chassis & axle will be on show.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11187 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »

Just checked it again before leaving the garage. Loads of reaction/wrinkling.
*sigh*
Rub it down. Do it again.

stinkey

« Reply #11188 on: November 07, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »

By the time you have driven it to Holland it's going to be covered in road Rash anyway?  Why not just take it to a decent spray shop and pay them?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11189 on: November 07, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »

Biggest problem with that is the logistics of getting it there _& back again without damaging the paint. It's ridiculously heavy, won't fit in my car & also still needs filling & sanding around the various brackets, (there's some big heavy dust welding that I want to smooth out).
It costs me nothing but my sanity to spend a few afternoons filling & sanding, although I'm lacking motivation so it's dragged out over several weeks so far. A paintshop would charge me a fortune for the same work. I'd also need to rent a van to take it anywhere & again to bring it back & you can guarantee it'd get damaged in transit.
My brother paints & Clive has also suggested someone, but most work in 2 pack & won't spray it over aerosol primer.
I'd like to do it myself, just for my own pride, but it's a horrible job & I'm really not enjoying it. Not really enjoying the build as a whole, but want to finish the damn thing & drive it again, so need to stop whinging & get on with it Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: