March 28, 2024, 01:53:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537228 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11010 on: May 06, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »

Smiley I tried several brands of brush-on paint before going back to aerosols, but couldn't get that glassy smooth finish I'm after. At some point fairly soon I'll have to admit defeat & just accept "good enough" or it'll never get back on the road.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11011 on: May 08, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »

Doesn't look any different does it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11012 on: May 08, 2019, 09:46:26 PM »

The new rear fuel tank needs a breather. The cap's unvented, so I bought a quad bike breather from a mate, but it didn't really work out -needed gluing into the cap & the vent hole would be partially blocked. So I bought another from Car Builder Solutions. They only sell them in red anodised finish though. Do you know how long it takes to sand anodising off? All afternoon Sad
I'm sure you can dip it in something to remove the coating, (not petrol obviously as it's a fuel breather), but the valve has a little plastic ball inside that I didn't want to damage, so I sanded & polished it, then filed out the hole Loony's Dad drilled for the previous breather in the cap to suit.
I also attached the Royal Enfield retaining chain. A whole afternoon for that?!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11013 on: May 08, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »

A FaceBook friend got in touch this evening to see if I'd finished the rebuild on the Pop yet
Umm, not quite, no.
He's a photographer & wants to have a go at making a video, so we agreed a few months ago to make a short film of the Pop. Yeah, I'll get back to him when it's done

the coppersmith

« Reply #11014 on: May 09, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »

A FaceBook friend got in touch this evening to see if I'd finished the rebuild on the Pop yet
Umm, not quite, no.
He's a photographer & wants to have a go at making a video, so we agreed a few months ago to make a short film of the Pop. Yeah, I'll get back to him when it's done

War and Peace the sequel, the final frontier  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11015 on: May 09, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

Smiley An epic saga of one man's struggle to finish his truck before it finishes him. Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11016 on: May 15, 2019, 09:26:34 PM »

Fuel tank back from the powder coaters. Cap fitted with breather valve from Car Builder Solutions & Royal Enfield retaining chain.
The coaters managed to put a ding in one of the edges, which, of course, is on the top where it'll show, but I can probably fill it with brush-on paint or something.
I've got a screw-in spigot for the outlet pipe underneath. It's a tapered thread -should I need to seal that with anything? PTFE tape's no good cos it dissolves in petrol. Will the taper be enough to stop fuel seepage?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11017 on: May 15, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11018 on: May 15, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »

tom_prs

« Reply #11019 on: May 16, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »

I've got some fuel resistant thread sealant - recently used it on the harley tank and no leaks so far! Happy to drop it round one evening  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11020 on: May 16, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »

That sounds like the very thing. Smiley

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #11021 on: May 16, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »

It's going to get plenty of road Rash  so I wouldn't worry too much Andy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11022 on: May 16, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Scotland in October. I'd really like to take the Pop cos there's some fantastic driving roads in the Highlands. Friends from the motorcycle club I belonged to as a teenager live up there too, so it'd be great to visit them in it.
I'm really struggling to get motivated at the moment, so hopefully that'll be the push I need.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11023 on: May 28, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »

Back in the garage this evening & the chassis's all rubbed down for hopefully the last coat of black. Apparently we're due hot weather this weekend & it's my day off on Saturday, so I'll do it then.
Also been rubbing down the back axle which I half-heartedly started a few months ago, which also needs to be black.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11024 on: June 01, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »

*sigh*
Another lovely sunny day spent crawling around in the gloom of my lock-up, trying to spray the chassis.
Another bunch of assorted runs & drips to sand out once the paint's dry -but this time with the added fun of several patches that have reacted with something & crazed.
I truly hate this bloody thing at the moment. The only thing stopping me from flogging it is it'd be worth bugger all in bits, (with no rear axle fitted I can't even roll it out of the garage). I know once it's sorted I'll want to keep it & I do genuinely still want to get out & drive it, but I'm so close to just chucking it in & offloading it. If I did though, that'd be me out of the custom scene for good. I sold my bike last year & I definitely can't face building anything else. If I can just resist the urge to set fire to the Pop & finish it, I'll keep it forever, but I'm really, really not enjoying it at the moment.
So I'll give it a few days to dry, then try & repair the runs & wrinkles before drowning it in clear lacquer.

Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: