April 30, 2024, 10:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1551407 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10695 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »

Yeah, already on my to-do list Smiley
Header tank finally bolted in place with a freshly powder-coated retaining strap. The previous strap was stainless but not very tidy, so I made matching ones for this & the washer bottle.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10696 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:45 PM »

Started brush painting the chassis with red oxide. Tomorrow I need to crawl underneath as far as I can to paint the underside.

poprodder

« Reply #10697 on: August 23, 2018, 07:00:02 AM »

great job with the redoxide, a very fiddly frustrating job!!!!

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10698 on: August 23, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »

It's looking great Andy,just one job a day makes for good progress ..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10699 on: August 27, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »

Not much to report, but I'm plodding on.
Quickly sanding the brush marks out of the red oxide turned into adding a smear of sandable seam sealant to all the welds -partly to seal any holes there may be, to keep water out of the chassis, & partly just to tidy up some very lumpy welds. A lot of the cross members & brackets were welded in situ, as we decided we needed them, so were done in a confined space, laying under the truck, outside, quite often in the rain. They're good & solid, but not pretty.
Yes, I know it's pointless cos no-one will see it & yes, I know you shouldn't have to pretty up welds & the MOT guy wouldn't approve, but I'm not hiding rust holes, just smoothing out the joints a little before I paint it all because it annoys me.
However, I've hurt my back while bending over the chassis all day today, so am now dosed up with pain killers & cursing my OCD Sad

Baychimp

« Reply #10700 on: August 28, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »

Is tomorrow morning still happening. Or is your back to bad?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10701 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »

Yup, still happening, please Smiley
About 9 ish.

Baychimp

« Reply #10702 on: August 28, 2018, 11:28:43 PM »

Just text when you pick up the van.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10703 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:55 PM »

Thank you Mr Baychimp for your help this morning.
I recently sold my hydraulic bike bench to a mate in Spalding, Lincs, but he had no way of collecting it. No problem -you pay the 50 quid to rent a Transit van for a day & I'll deliver it.
So Mr Chimp gave me a hand to load it & while I had the van I also took my big heavy wooden workbench across town from the bike garage to Number Two Pop garage.
This is in the same block as the main Pop garage, but faces the back of a row of shops. It's directly opposite a charity shop & there are scavengers who come around at night, going through their bins, looking for anything they can sell. So I don't keep anything of great value in here & wouldn't want to work in here with the door wide open for the whole world to peer in if I can help it.
It's where various parts for the Pop are stored though & if any went missing they'd be a bugger to replace.
The blue boxes on the floor on the left are moisture traps. They cost about a quid & contain crystals that draw the moisture out of the air. They work well -they'll full of water after a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:13:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #10704 on: August 29, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »

Did you have a good trip? And did you get the van back in time?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10705 on: August 29, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »

With the bike bench & the work bench out of the way, that just leaves a few boxes of spares & the bike itself in the bike garage. So I should be able to stop renting it once Tom collects the bike.
This is the pick-up bed for the Pop. I had it shotblasted & etch primed, but once all the filler was blasted off, it ain't pretty. I modified it while it was still on the Pop, outside, in the rain. Some truly, truly horrible welding & panel distortion. I've already paid Loony to do the remedial work on it & am just waiting for him to have a spare slot in his work schedule. In the meantime I'm working towards running without it, at least to start with.
The wooden flatbed I made is also in here. I may use that for a while, but will still need the weight tube as well, to compensate for the massively heavy steel bed.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10706 on: August 29, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »

Yes, 3 hours each way. I haven't been up that way for years & had forgotten how flat & open the countryside is. The area I went to is called South Holland as it's land reclaimed from the sea, originally created by Dutch engineers. Quite surreal -just an odd little house here & there then nothing for miles all around it. Long straight roads across an utterly flat landscape. Quite odd. It'd be great on the chop or in the Pop. I rode to Boston with a couple of mates when I was about 20, to attend a friend's wedding at the cathedral, (the "Boston Stump" cos it's missing it's spire). I was on my Bonneville. My mates had a BSA & a Norton -we sounded like a Lancaster bomber as we rumbled through the flatlands, with our 3 piece suits rolled up in bin bags, strapped to our bikes Smiley
I got the van back to the rental ace at 5.15 -they close at 5.30 so it was back before it turned into a pumpkin. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:33:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10707 on: August 29, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »

A selection of upholstered panels waiting to go back in the Pop, along with the repainted Mini Clubman steering wheel I'll be using & the replacement, bigger air filter. I've got 2 tops for the filter. One's chrome, the other's black powder coat. Can't decide which would look best.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:36:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10708 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »

A parcel arrived in the Post while I was out today. 2 new polished stainless radiator caps. One for the rad & one for the header tank. 9 quid each on eBay.

Baychimp

« Reply #10709 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »

Yep very low land there,wouldn't take much for the sea to reclaim it.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: