April 19, 2024, 04:33:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1544806 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10215 on: February 21, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »

Only to this point & it's only a base coat.
Trying it with water today.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #10216 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »

everything is better with lubricant!!!!  Shocked Roll Eyes
 Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10217 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »

Smiley Right. 800 grit with water.
Having rented space in Mr Lunatic's yard for a few years, I know the theory of prep & paint, but I've only ever painted small stuff like motorcycle fuel tanks, not an entire car. I really didn't want to use water cos it'll be so messy in a lock-up garage & I don't want damp in there, or water collecting in nooks & crannies in the car & rusting.
Gave it a go though.
800 grit took all the orange peel off & gave the paint a sheen it didn't have before, (remember this is satin finish), but once dried, left more swirl marks than ever. I couldn't feel them at all though, but shining a light across the roof really showed them up.
I'm hoping I can continue with the gloss top coats now & bury the swirls in plenty of paint, then wet sand that with 1000 grit.
Using water has buggered up the masking -I guess normally you wouldn't sand until you'd applied all the paint & removed any masking material -so I'll spend the next couple of afternoons removing & re-doing it.
I go back to work tomorrow after a few weeks off, but this happens to be my weekend off, so it'd be nice to get this done by Monday & move on.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10218 on: February 21, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »

Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:25:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10219 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »

Nothing much to report today -first day back at work after 5 weeks off with a knee injury, so rested for the afternoon, but stripped all the masking material off the cab cos the water had got underneath it. First time I've seen the glass for a while.
Can't decide whether to go over it tomorrow with wet 1000 grit to try & reduce the swirl marks, or mask it up again ready to spray some top coats over the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:46:13 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #10220 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:35 PM »

Try some 1500 grit on it, in straight lines. Do it lightly.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10221 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »

Got to go back to the paintshop for 1500, but will need it for the top coats anyway, so that'll be my errand after work this afternoon.

paulywombats

« Reply #10222 on: February 23, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »

I love hard work, I can watch it for ages!!

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10223 on: February 23, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »

Tongue
Colour change!
No, don't worry -I'm not starting again, but looks like the Pop's going a slightly darker shade of green -just a stronger shade of the same colour really.
I had a batch of satin green mixed quite a while ago, which is what's on there at the moment. Then I decided I'd prefer it in gloss. I'd thrown away the tin with the paintcode on it though, so ended up going back to the paint shop & looking through their colour charts until I found the right shade, (I knew it was a standard "RAL" colour).
So I had 2 litres mixed. 2, 1/2 litre tins & 9 aerosols. I recently gave one tin to Mick the painter, (one of my brother's drag racing mates), to do the Pop fuel tank with. He rang today to say it was ready, so I nipped over to Berkshire after work & collected it. He's done a lovely job -but it's a darker shade. Entirely my own fault for just guessing at the colour, but on reflection, I think I prefer it anyway. I think it'll work better with the gloss black mudguards & black upholstery.
Not sure this is an accurate portrayal of the colour under my LED lamps in the evening light. It's not that far out, just got a bit more body to it. So the aerosols should hopefully match it!
Mick decided to clear lacquer the tank to give it a bit more depth, so I may do the same with the cab.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:44:57 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10224 on: February 24, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »

Very similar - I like it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #10225 on: February 25, 2018, 08:08:30 AM »

Tank is looking good. It's difficult to compare the colour shade of a polished item with freshly rubbed down or a satin finish. Polished and or lacquered can look much darker anyway. Hope you have written down the RAL code this time as two litres will not be enough given the number of coats you apply then rub off again.   Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10226 on: February 25, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »

Yes Dave, made sure I saved it this time!
I was in Worcestershire last night. A 2 hour drive home in the early hours, thinking through jobs to do on the Pop -as you do. I started thinking, how difficult would it be to remove the body from the chassis? There are small areas where it sits on the frame that I can't get to, to paint. The body's held by 8 bolts, but 2 are already out cos I was cleaning up the mounts around them. Everything else is disconnected -no wiring, steering, pedals etc. Could I stick the cab in a rented van & take it to the painter? How much would it weigh? -an absolute ton I'm guessing -but with it off, or at least raised about a foot, I could properly paint the chassis & the underside of the cab. Could I lift it safely with a trolley jack on either side & a plank of wood under the sills? No way I'm taking the glass out cos both screens were a bugger to fit, (I think it's on it's 4th windscreen now since we started building it). Any flex in the body at all would almost certainly crack the glass.
Just leave it alone & work around stuff -even if rust does creep in somewhere, it can be fixed at a later date & the body will probably outlast mine.
-this is the kind of stuff I think about on road trips! Sad

poprodder

« Reply #10227 on: February 25, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »

Andy, 
 please system restore your brain  to yesterday morning. please.   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10228 on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »

Yeah, if I had a big, warm workshop with lifting gear & stuff, rather than being squeezed into a lock-up garage, then maybe. Don't worry -common sense prevails Smiley
Big thank you to Mr BayChimp for lending a hand with the wet sanding yesterday. 1500 grit. Most of the swirliness has gone now, at least on the roof where it showed most.
Not sure how far I need to go before putting on the next coats, but I've just leant on the corner of the roof & my hand slipped off & I smacked my chin on the cab -so probably smooth enough now!  Tongue

Olds

« Reply #10229 on: February 25, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »

"I've just leant on the corner of the roof & my hand slipped off & I smacked my chin on the cab -so probably smooth enough now!"

Be careful Andy. The last thing you need now, is to dent the cab !  Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: