March 28, 2024, 11:32:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537176 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9825 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »

Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
merv

« Reply #9826 on: September 12, 2017, 04:07:55 PM »

Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9827 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »

Powder coated parts unpacked & next pile to do started.
Dropped the propshaft out this afternoon so I can clean it up & repaint it & replaced a few gearbox bellhousing bolts with new stainless ones. Also wire brushed off most of the chassis that I painted with rust killer & it seems to have worked -virtually clean metal underneath. I might give it a 2nd coat before I prime it.
Slow progress, but inching forward.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9828 on: September 12, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »

Well what else have you got to do ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9829 on: September 12, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »

Nothing. My life is a tragically empty, meaningless descent into inevitable oblivion ...but on the other hand, I've got a hotrod Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:18:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #9830 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:50 AM »

.but on the other hand, I've got a hotrod Smiley
And a damned fine bike ! Cause and effect perhaps.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

« Reply #9831 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »

Due to lack of money (and enthusiasm  Embarrassed) I've given up on mine for now

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9832 on: September 16, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »

Never give up. Postpone, delay & generally faff about, but don't give up.  Smiley
Just to remind myself what the Pop looks like in one piece, BayChimp recently found this shot of it from 2013.
Yup, I'd broken it & it was being recovered. Only 6 miles from home. I'd been doing donuts around the gravel carpark at a motorcycle show at a local airfield with 2 of us in the cab & another guy in the pick-up bed, when a rear coil-over suspension strut snapped.
Entirely my own fault. I hadn't allowed for lateral movement of the shocks on full travel so it'd been pushed up against the chassis mount until it snapped. Fortunately it happened in a large open space & not in the fast lane of the M3. I drove it down the field & parked up & didn't notice the problem till it was time to leave, so not too dramatic, but a lesson learnt. The mounts were modified & the shock taken to Gaz shocks' workshop in Essex 2 days later, where they rebuilt it for me while I waited.
So it doesn't normally sit this low to the ground. I'd almost forgotten what it looks like. Looking forward to driving it again in the Spring.

stinkey

« Reply #9833 on: September 17, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »

I remember being in that situation several times with new builds and teething problems ?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9834 on: September 17, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

Cheesy I've tried to build out all the faults we built in the first time around, but I've probably created a whole new set of problems in the process Smiley

Baychimp

« Reply #9835 on: September 17, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »

Broke in a car park. Lucky it didn't happen in the fast lane of the M3.  I must remember not to go out in the Pop if you a going to start doing Donuts in the fast lane of the Motorway. Tongue Roll Eyes
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9836 on: September 17, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »

Cheesy Yeah, I was actually thinking more like swerving to avoid some idiot switching lanes in front of us. Sorted now.
Apparently it was a sunny afternoon today. I didn't see it. Been sat in a lock-up garage, working on a rusty old truck. Not really sure why sometimes.
I took the dashboard out today & removed the last of the old wiring. Really, really hope the guy re-doing it's as good as I'm told. Got a few more brackets for the powder-coating pile & now I can reach all of the bulkhead to treat the rust.
It's not pretty under there. Some of it was put together in a hurry & we simply cut chunks out of the old bulkhead & left other parts in & worked around them. The previous owner also welded in some box section & heavy gauge plate sections, so it's a real mish mash of panels. With hindsight, we should've cut the lot out & started afresh. So I'm filing back ragged edges, removing sticky out bits here & there & generally trying to tidy things up without disturbing the new sheet metal we welded in. I'm scrubbing off the surface rust that built up while it sat outside Loon's workshop under a tarpaulin for a couple of years, just so the rust treatment doesn't have so much work to do. I know it won't be seen once everything goes back together, but I'll know it's there. I also don't want someone from outside the Manky universe, like the electrician, to look at it & think the whole truck's bodged together.
I'm not convinced the body can be removed from the chassis, as we intended, cos we welded various brackets in, in situ. The gearbox tunnel is welded to the bulkhead, not the chassis, so would have to be manouvred under the tubular hoop which holds the steering column & throttle pedal, as the body is lifted. The easiest way to fix that would be to make that hoop removable, by cutting it, slugging it & bolting it back in. I'm very tempted to do that now, while it's this far apart, although the body won't be coming off in the forseeable future.
Can anyone machine a couple of solid slugs from round bar for me? About 1" diameter & maybe 6" long, cross drilled for mounting bolts?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:59:35 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #9837 on: September 18, 2017, 07:37:13 AM »

In all fairness and hindsight Andy..you could have started again and rebuilt it once you got your Q plate  Roll Eyes but a bit of black paint will hide lots..and the sparky will appreciate having the room for sure..

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9838 on: September 18, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »

Smiley A lot of what I'm doing is more like renovation work -putting right the weather damage from a year of driving in bare metal followed by 3 years stood in a farmyard.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9839 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »

Hoop that holds the steering column & dashboard panels removed. I'll get some solid slugs made up so it can be bolted back in.
Spent the whole afternoon sat in the cab with a piece of broken hacksaw blade, cutting out sections of old bulkhead. There are 3 layers in places -the original 1953 panel, the previous owner's one & the sections Loon & I welded in. Also removing a couple of short bits of box section bracing that the previous guy added but aren't actually doing anything. No, no-one apart from the electrician will see it, but I want it tidy. I've bought another pack of Dynamat sound proofing material, so will do the bulkhead in it once I've tidied it up & rust treated it.

Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: