March 29, 2024, 01:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537689 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9405 on: April 20, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »

Yeah, I liked your Dodge. The stake side look suited it. Just don't think it suits mine.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9406 on: April 20, 2017, 11:09:33 PM »

Ideally I'd run with just the cab on a bare chassis, (I had a Moggy Minor pick-up like that about 25 years ago that I loved). I appreciate it'd be too light on the back end though so the rear brakes would be constantly locking up.
The steel pick-up bed takes 2 blokes to lift & took 3 to load in the back of Chris's truck.
The wooden one can be lifted by one person, but is a bit awkward to manoeuvre & obviously weighs more now with chains & stuff on it.

So ...
My brother builds drag cars & his own has a small weight tube across the front to fine tune the weight distribution. Gassers often fit one in place of the rear bumper.
I've got room across the back of the chassis to bolt on a 4" diameter tube, 30" long. If I could buy pre formed domed ends & welded them on, that'd add another inch or 2 on either end. How much lead shot could I pour inside that & how much would it weigh in comparison to the beds, (including the weight of a mild steel tube as well)?

spanners

« Reply #9407 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »

shot, blasting grit,, the black stuff , is as heavy as lead shot and cheaper and easy to get ,, Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9408 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »

Good point Mike. I'm trying to get an idea of the weight. Could a bloke lift say, half a sack of shot blasting grit? If it was hung on the back of the chassis that'd increase the "leverage" wouldn't it, effectively increasing the down force?
Like I said, this isn't really detracting from getting it back on the road cos I'm still doing other stuff. I just don't think the posts & chains thing is working for me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:20:27 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9409 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »

Time for bed, (work in a couple of hours time), but opinions appreciated please.

spanners

« Reply #9410 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »

honestly  o dont think the post and chains look that bad  but i do think the chains and metal fittings/fixings would be better black than shiny

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Clive

« Reply #9411 on: April 21, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »

Like the posts, but can understand your concerns about the looks. That chain in the wind whilst driving may be noisy.

Think I personally like the idea of smaller posts, with a 'handrail' like you said

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
kapri

« Reply #9412 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:33 AM »

It's a TEMPORARY bed . You're over complicating it , fire the engine up, MOT it and drive it .You can then get the enthusiasm to finish bodywork  INCLUDING the pukka bed Wink
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9413 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »

You do tend to over complicate things Andy ? KEVs right..mot it and drive it..I think the posts and chains look a bit GAY and for me I'd most likely just screw some lengths of wood to join the posts together for now but don't paint them green ? Then later on maybe sort out the proper bed area ?
P.s you can add weight underneath the bed by fixing weight to the chassis so nobody can see it ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #9414 on: April 21, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »

Couple of sacks of coal will sort that out  Grin or a spare engine strapped down would be cool  Wink
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9415 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »

It's a TEMPORARY bed . You're over complicating it , fire the engine up, MOT it and drive it .You can then get the enthusiasm to finish bodywork  INCLUDING the pukka bed Wink

Me thinks Mr Kapri has a point.............  Wink

You’re making good progress building your truck the way you want. You need the grin factor of driving it again!!  Cool

Us Monkeys will have various views, so for what it’s worth, here’s my two penarth:
IF you're gonna revise the wooden bed, my personal view is do it once the truck is MoTd and on the road, then have the sides panelled along the lines of the photo of the pick-up at wheels day, or the Corgi Rockets truck.

Keep on Truckin’ as they used to say.

Chin up matey  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9416 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »

Well, and for what its worth.......lose the uprights and chain and leave just the boarded bed, MoT it and run it, whilst carrying on the filling, as & when, but whatever your choice, drive it sooner rather than..........so pretty much as the other "M's" are saying then, Andy...gwan, gwan, you know it makes sense! Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9417 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »

Yep, it looks ok.  You knew when you started this wooden bed that it wasn't what you wanted, and you know you'll be replacing it with the metal bed - it was only ever a practical fix for now!

So just get it on the road and drive it!  Don't let yourself get sidetracked again!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9418 on: April 21, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »

True Bobbi.
I knew you'd say that Mr Kapri!  Smiley -which is why I pointed out that it hasn't really slowed me down -progress is slow anyway.
Tony, I'd forgotten that Dinky toy -I had that one! And the pick-up at Wheels Day is local to me. Saw it at a local pub show last year.
It's a temporary bed, but I'm not happy with it, much like I wasn't happy driving it in bare metal cos it was never supposed to be a rat rod.
Been thinking about it while marching round the streets delivering the Mail this morning, (It's where I do most of my project planning!).
Sorting the proper bed out is a couple of months worth of faffing about -transporting it 20 miles to the shotblasters, getting the rust blasted off, transporting it back to my other lock-up cos there's no room to store it in this one, rust proofing it, filling it, sanding it, filling it again, painting it, transporting it across town to this lock-up to fit it. So I'll work on it once the Pop's on the road & re-fit it over the Winter.
That means the "temporary" bed will be on for the rest of this year.
Not happy with the chains. Nope. Not doing it for me. I did warn my mate the carpenter that I might change it though.
Just the flat wooden bed looks too much like an old door strapped on the back. It needs some detail around the edge. Thought about a wooden moulding, an architrave, but that'd look even more like a door. Thought about a brass or chrome rail down either side, but that'd look too "gay"  Smiley & makes me think of American funeral caskets. So I think I'll go with a wooden rail painted green. I could actually pick up a couple of broom handles from the local HomeWare store for a couple of quid. Cut the posts down to 3 or 4 inches tall, maybe level with the top of the rear tyres, drill them & pass the rods through them. An afternoon's work to modify what's there.
Yup, that's what I'll do.
On with the filling & sanding.  Tongue

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9419 on: April 21, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

I've been going through similar with a possible sissy bar on my chop? (Meant to have been a long term project ?) spent all day Thursday modifying an old one which looked good but warped to hell and looked rubbish once back on ? ( as in,jeez that's not straight / level ?)
So gave up on that..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: