April 20, 2024, 10:20:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1545194 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9330 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »

The back end's not that far out, but obviously the front needs a lot more buggering about. Just something to play with while I wait for filler & paint to dry.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9331 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:03 AM »

is it done yet?  lol!!!!!
I can imagine a couple of kids in the pick up bed "are we nearly there yet"
 Grin Grin Grin

Found a picture of a big kid in the driving seat  Grin    Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9332 on: March 28, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »

Had a play with the door trim earlier -mainly cos you lot said I shouldn't. You were right -I immediately managed to snap the catch that holds the quarter light closed by winding it open with a spanner, not realising the catch was on. I don't swear often, but did cuss a little bit at that.
It might be weldable, but as it's a 70 year old casting, I doubt it. I've got the broken part, so if there's a super duper strong glue available, I could glue it. Failing that I can probably adapt a Morris Minor one or even make a new pair. I drove most of the year the Pop was on the road without glass in the doors, (I only fitted it the week before Loon & I drove to Holland in the November), so these door trims can be an on-going thing while I drive the truck. I need to get the welding done before I can paint the doors though.  

Have been told by a reliable source that Gorilla Glue is pretty darn good.

http://uk.gorillaglue.com/

Plus the name's inkeeping too! Cheesy

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
poprodder

« Reply #9333 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »

thats looking great andy.

edit.

erm................primered sills!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:35:00 PM by poprodder » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9334 on: March 28, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »

Tongue Problem solved hopefully.
I was browsing Ebay last night -Huh, what's the chances of ever finding another 1942 4 door sedan window trim?! Oh, there's one! Bought.
That'll give me the catch I need & also a frame to cut up for the fill-in pieces. Like I said, just something to play with between other stuff.
Took a box of assorted small bike & Pop parts to the powder coaters in Newbury, Berkshire after work this afternoon & also collected the exhaust headers from my mate Bernie the fabricator. When I had them modified by the exhaust guy in Salisbury, he put several deep gouges in them with an angle grinder. Bernie's cleaned them up for me. Not perfect, but near enough.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:33:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

MIXA

« Reply #9335 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »

The back end's not that far out, but obviously the front needs a lot more buggering about. Just something to play with while I wait for filler & paint to dry.

the top right piece looks like it would be a lot closer if turned around

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9336 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »

Yeah, I thought the same, but had to cut up the other frame to get that piece. It's a bit of a 3D jigsaw puzzle, but looks much more do-able now. For the quarter light to line up over the centre of the window slot, it looks like I'll have to add a thin strip of steel around the edge, maybe 10mm wide.
The quarter light rubbers were completely perished, so I've stripped them out & un-riveted the top frame hinge. Obviously the 2 hinges will need to be directly in line, one above the other, for the glass to open properly. I might be able to adapt Morris Minor or VW beetle rubbers to suit, but for now, will be happy just to get the framework in place.
Now I'm looking for suitable U channel to make new window runners.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9337 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

Stix

« Reply #9338 on: March 29, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »

For window channel try B&Q they do one that will take the furfex (sp) felt channel,used it on my Volvo with good success.

Stix
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9339 on: March 30, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »

I'm actually heading there this evening for that very reason!
Just been to see my mate Miles at Jackhammer hotrod shop in Farnborough, Hants. He's got a 1940 Ford that he's building for himself in the back of the shop. I wanted to measure the quarter light openings & order some rubbers for them. Turns out his are completely different, but he had a set of reproduction "Shoebox" Ford rubbers left over from his last car that I might be able to modify.
Although mine were labelled as '42 Ford window frames, apparently They're actually Mercury ones, which were made by Ford, which explains why they're completely different to his. The spare one I've bought on Ebay is exactly the same as the ones I've already got. I can buy Mercury quarter light rubbers, but they're 60 quid a pair & I'll still need to cut them up & modify them because my doors have been chopped by about 3 1/2". Miles sold me his spare Ford ones for a tenner, so I'll try those first.
Still pottering with filler & paint around the passenger door opening, but looking at the doors between filler/paint layers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:28:24 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9340 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

Added some green today. There's some mahoosive runs in it, but plenty of body to it, so I can flat them back & blow on a second, lighter coat in the next few days. Definitely not smooth enough for a gloss finish, nut I want it matt anyway.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9341 on: April 02, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »

Also gave the back end of the chassis another coat of "Fertan" rust killer.

poprodder

« Reply #9342 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

your getting there andy, much more to do?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9343 on: April 03, 2017, 02:30:30 PM »

Do the same filling/painting around the drivers door & sill panel.

Paint just about everything, including the chassis, half the engine bay & blowing the cab over in another couple of coats of green.

sort out the wiring issues
-2 warning lights not working. High beam & charging light. H/beam might be an easy fix by re-routing it, charging light, not sure. I've swapped the engine since it was last on the road, but it's still the same alternator. I can get it checked/rebuilt locally if that's the problem, but need someone to tell me if it is.

Tidy up the wiring & brake pipes around the back end of the chassis, which will include re-making a couple of badly corroded brake lines.

Fit the temporary wooden pick-up bed, (waiting for my mate the carpenter to deliver it, so I can paint it).

Sort out the doors.
-waiting for a spare interior trim to arrive from the States so I can cut it up for parts & some stainless U channel to arrive to make window runners from. Then I'll contact Mr Loon, (haven't seen him since I stopped renting space at his workshop), & see if he wants to weld them up for me.

Refit the interior, (floor panels, seats etc).

Start it up & see what doesn't work.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9344 on: April 03, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »

Oh & I'm supposed to be in France in it in about 6 weeks time.

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: