March 28, 2024, 03:56:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537275 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9315 on: March 26, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »

Can't you just use the mechanism and build a new frame to match the pop door then get glass cut to fit ? Beg borrow or buy a shrinker tool for the new frame ? Cheaper than paying for labour ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9316 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »

Knew that would be the collective opinion Kev, but the whole Pop's like that. More work than a sensible person would do! That's why I've spent the last 3 years reworking 90% of it. Fortunately my man hours don't cost me anything. I can see me getting it on the road with the doors more or less as they are & working on them bit by bit over the Summer.
These frames were a cheap starting point with some of the shape I'll need already there. It's more that I fancied a play with them than anything else. Shame I don't have a power supply or I could just sit & tinker with them with the welder as I felt like it.
I'm going to cut one of these frames up, tape the bits that fit in place & see how many gaps I need to fill.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:22:22 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

« Reply #9317 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »

I get the impression you'd rather be tinkering than driving/riding sometimes mate ? Bolt the door back on and get the bitch up n running,otherwise you won't be using it for this season ? Grin

minimutly

« Reply #9318 on: March 26, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »

Knew that would be the collective opinion Kev, but the whole Pop's like that. More work than a sensible person would do! That's why I've spent the last 3 years reworking 90% of it. Fortunately my man hours don't cost me anything. I can see me getting it on the road with the doors more or less as they are & working on them bit by bit over the Summer.
These frames were a cheap starting point with some of the shape I'll need already there. It's more that I fancied a play with them than anything else. Shame I don't have a power supply or I could just sit & tinker with them with the welder as I felt like it.
I'm going to cut one of these frames up, tape the bits that fit in place & see how many gaps I need to fill.
There's weeks of work there to get one of these done, looks like a next year job. If you're going to drive the pop this year go the easy way for now.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9319 on: March 26, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »

Sheesh! I took one of the frames down off the wall & sat it on the door that's off so I can finish the bodywork around the hinges. That's all. The door will go back on, as it is, minus glass, just as I drove it for most of 2013.
It's what I'm aiming to do as & when I get the time. The doors hang on just 2 hinge pins so come off in 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:56:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #9320 on: March 26, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »

Well you can't post something on the forum and not expect a reply old chap Roll Eyes
At least we're polite  Wink

kapri

« Reply #9321 on: March 26, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »

You forget we KNOW you !! LOL
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9322 on: March 26, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »

Tongue

MIXA

« Reply #9323 on: March 26, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »

You know you wont be happy until you have done them Andy , so why not run as is and use the warm summer nights to adapt them , less chance of a cock up as well working with warm hands

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9324 on: March 26, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »

Yes mate.
Finish the bodywork; paint the chassis & refit the brake lines & wiring at the back end; sort out the 2 remaining electrical problems, (no charging light & no high beam light), & refit the interior; paint & fit the temporary wooden pick-up bed, (should be ready next week); retrieve the exhaust headers from my mate the fabricator who's sorting out some gouges the exhaust guy put in them & refit them; regrease everything, top up the fluids & see what happens. Oh, & put the doors back on!
Easy.  Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #9325 on: March 27, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

is it done yet?  lol!!!!!

the coppersmith

« Reply #9326 on: March 27, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »

is it done yet?  lol!!!!!
I can imagine a couple of kids in the pick up bed "are we nearly there yet"
 Grin Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9327 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »

No! No, we're not there yet! Shaddup!
Rubbed down the filler custard around the passenger door this afternoon & grey primered it. A beautiful Spring day here -I was tempted to go out somewhere for the day, but ended up sat in the garage till it got dark this evening. I'll be so glad when this thing's done. Really not enjoying building things any more & just want to get out & use them instead.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9328 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9329 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »

Had a play with the door trim earlier -mainly cos you lot said I shouldn't. You were right -I immediately managed to snap the catch that holds the quarter light closed by winding it open with a spanner, not realising the catch was on. I don't swear often, but did cuss a little bit at that.
It might be weldable, but as it's a 70 year old casting, I doubt it. I've got the broken part, so if there's a super duper strong glue available, I could glue it. Failing that I can probably adapt a Morris Minor one or even make a new pair. I drove most of the year the Pop was on the road without glass in the doors, (I only fitted it the week before Loon & I drove to Holland in the November), so these door trims can be an on-going thing while I drive the truck. I need to get the welding done before I can paint the doors though. 

Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: