April 19, 2024, 11:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1544732 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9300 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »

Weight saving!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9301 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »

Weight saving!

"adding lightness"  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9302 on: March 22, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »

Absolutely poured down here this morning while I was trudging the streets delivering the Mail. Freezing rain, howling wind, sleet -everything. Then, just as I finished, the sun came out & it turned into a lovely sunny afternoon. Unfortunately I was chilled right through to the bones by then & still haven't warmed up. Got changed into my grubby garage clothes, went to my grubby garage, looked at the Pop. Came home again.
I'm getting too old for this.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:03:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9303 on: March 22, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »

At least you've still got the sense to go home when you need to!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9304 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »

Especially doing it in rented garages  Undecided

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
minimutly

« Reply #9305 on: March 23, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »

Once you get cold and wet the only answer is a hot bath or shower, be careful, pneumonia beckons!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9306 on: March 23, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »

Yeah, occupational hazard. Sweating my socks off in the Summer, suffering from exposure in the Winter. Used to shrug it off, but as I'm getting older, spending all day walking the streets in wet, cold clothes is taking longer to recover from.
Looking forward to some warmer weather soon. 

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9307 on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »

Warmer weather ,well relative to the past few days I guess ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9308 on: March 25, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »

Grin Yeah. My day off today & bright sunshine but a cold wind. So far behind schedule. It'd be a nice day to go out somewhere, but I really need to crack on if I'm gonna drive this this Summer. Onwards!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9309 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »

My garage faces North & is always in shadow, so even though it was a lovely sunny day today, I was working on the Pop with a jacket on.
Left side of the cab as filled as it's gonna get. Squirted some Halfords filler/primer on it. Looks like spray-on custard & is about as useful for filling small imperfections, but better than nothing. Takes a couple of days to harden enough to rub down, but tomorrow's Mothers Day so I won't be in the garage anyway.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9310 on: March 25, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »

Had a more serious look at the door before I left this evening. I bought these doors from Ebay already chopped, but when I removed the filler, they aren't very nicely done underneath.
I've already added a strip of steel along the bottom of the door, because the floor level's that much higher than the original car so the door panels finish higher, as well as moving the door handle further back cos the drivers one's in the way in it's original position.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:24:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9311 on: March 25, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

Pops had Bakelite interior window trims. They're getting rare now & it'd be a shame to cut up a surviving set to fit the lowered window frames, so I bought a pair of fibreglass reproductions. You can see how tall they are. The doors have been chopped by 4".
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:25:46 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9312 on: March 25, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »

There were fibreglass trims fitted to the doors when I bought them, but they were held by self tapping screws & kept popping off when the doors were closed. I assume the window frames flex slightly. So I found a pair of 1940s American Ford interior trims on Ebay for $10 each. They're metal, which means they can be pie cut to suit the angle of the front of the door & cut n shut to fit, then welded to the frame to make the doors more rigid. They also have quarter lights built into them -when the trims are removed, the quarter lights come out with them. They wind in & out with tiny winding handles. The mechanism's there but the handles are missing, so I bought a set of 4 Moggy Minor handles & will use 2 for the main windows & cut 2 down for the quarter lights, so they all match.
Pops use rigid window glass runners in the bottom of the doors & flexible plastic channel around the tops, but I didn't have much luck with that when I tried it. It's screwed to tabs around the top of the window frame, but kept popping out & drooping down from the frame. I'd like to fit new rigid channel all the way up to the top of the doors & across the top. Stainless U channel's available on Ebay. I just need to figure out what size I need, (think window glass is normally 4mm, but I'll need a "furflex" liner inside the channel too). Because of the quarter lights, the front channel doesn't have to follow the curve of the front of the door, but I need to fit the quarter light first so I know where the channel has to go.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9313 on: March 25, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »

It's a lot of work & I've already tried to farm them out to one hotrod builder, but he thought they'd take too long to be worth his while, but I think they'll be nice if they work. I plan to get the doors sign written once I've sprayed them, but obviously need to get the welding sorted first.
This is the right hand trim against the left hand door opening, just to show how the front edge will need re-shaping. The quarter light glass will have to be replaced too of course. 
Fitting quarter lights to a Pop would make it a little different, but from my days of Moggy Minor ownership, they're quite handy for a little airflow through the cab without having to get blasted with cold air with the main window open.

kapri

« Reply #9314 on: March 26, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »

I can see MANY hours of skilled bodywork required to get those to fit Andy .Thaa includes rolling new pieces to match the tops and bottoms where you need extra length . Nice idea BUT ,personally I'd cut the grp set down and fitted first. THEN I'd get another set of GRP and rework those to fit quaterlight mechanism or simply use that method on there are inspiration.  I don't know about not worth his while I don't think it will be worth YOUR while:(
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: