April 19, 2024, 07:05:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1544635 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9960 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »

It's the last day of my 3 week holiday today. Back to work in the morning. I was hoping to make some real progress while I was off, but of course, I haven't.
Still waiting for a machinist to make the slugs that'll connect the steering column support frame to the chassis, but still waiting for the frame to be welded too.
Also waiting for the window runners to be welded as well, so I can make a start on modifying & repairing the doors.
Thought I'd have the chassis cleaned up & painted at the very least, but got sidetracked into sorting out the bulkhead/dashboard instead. It's all stuff that needs to be done, so is progress, just not what I'd planned.
Spent today driving about, collecting parts. Bought some bolts for the gearbox bellhousing, then visited Merlin Motorsport & bought the servo fittings. They deal mainly in Goodrich flexible hose, so I got hose & connectors to screw into the old servo bleed nipple mounts & run up to new bulkhead mounted bleed nipples in the engine bay.
I'm also replacing the corroded bulkhead fittings for the brake pipes that feed the servo. The new ones have brass nuts rather than cad plated.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9961 on: October 23, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »

New right angled hose fittings screwed into the old bleed nipple mounts & sealed with a copper washer.

the coppersmith

« Reply #9962 on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »

that is a big old servo Andy.  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9963 on: October 24, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

So I'm told. It's standard fitting on some van or other as I remember, but sold for use on VW camper vans. The only dual circuit remote servo I could find at the time.
Nipped over to the welder in Berkshire after work today. He'd been trying to weld the stainless window channels for the doors for me, but had given up cos he's not used to welding very thin plate & it was distorting out of shape. He's welded up the heavy gauge tube that forms the hoop under the dash holding the steering column & servo though.
So I took the window runners round the corner to the fabrication guy who had my bike tank for a few months but hadn't welded it. He was very apologetic for not doing it, so I swapped the tank job for the window job.
Progress? Not sure. Maybe just shuffling stuff around Smiley

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9964 on: October 25, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »

It's not been powder coated ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #9965 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »

It's not been powder coated ? Roll Eyes
Grin Grin Grin Not yet !

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9966 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »

No -not yet Smiley

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9967 on: October 25, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »

Y'know, it might have been more cost effective to have purchased your own Powder Coaters Mr M... Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9968 on: October 25, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »

I think I have -or at least paid their pension. Been using the same guys for nearly 40 years. It's just cheap & quick & long lasting & I can give 'em some rusty old bit of tatt on a Monday & they'll shotblast it clean, coat it nice glossy black & give it back to me on the Friday, ready to bolt back on. It's like magic Smiley

stinkey

« Reply #9969 on: October 25, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »

You should have just dropped off your truck ?  Roll Eyes

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9970 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »

They did a complete Massey Ferguson tractor a while ago -complete as in, in one piece. Someone wanted it as a garden ornament & had the whole thing coated grey.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:39:48 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #9971 on: October 25, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »

Next time then ? Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9972 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »

Winter's on the way -the evenings are drawing in really quickly now.

minimutly

« Reply #9973 on: October 30, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

They did a complete Massey Ferguson tractor a while ago -complete as in, in one piece. Someone wanted it as a garden ornament & had the whole thing coated grey.
Well they might be dissaponted, i bought a 10yr old cub cadet mower recently (top spec in its day otherwise I wouldnt have bothered), the thing was plastic/powder coated from new. It was rotten, no point starting to weld it. So I ordered a new chasis plate, and with some new bots welded where i can find some metal I hope to get it back in one piece.
It may be that the application or metal was poor, but if it had been painted I would be suprised if it was so bad?
stinkey

« Reply #9974 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »

People seem to be under the impression powder coating is impervious too everything ?  Embarrassed it's certainly easier to chip and scratch then I thought ? But looks amazing when done correctly ..

Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: