April 23, 2024, 03:32:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1546570 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9855 on: October 01, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »

A wet & miserable Sunday here today, so I spent another afternoon laying on my back in the cab, gradually cutting away bits of unwanted old bodywork around the bulkhead. Managed to remove the box section, but it's left lumps of weld behind that I might have to sand down with a flapwheel on my grinder, although I really don't want everything covered in metal dust again.
I know it's daft to spend ages cleaning up areas no-one will ever see, apart from the electrician, but it'll really bug me if I don't. I'd hate someone else to remove a dash panel at some point in the future & think God, what a bodge up. I'm on holiday now for a couple of weeks, so really need to crack on. Got a lot of tidying up & painting to do, plus some major welding/fabrication on the doors.  Lots to do.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #9856 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

Why not get one of these. if you can get a grinder in there you should get this in there less dust and sparks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Silverstorm-260W-Power-File-Belt-Sander-Electric-Sanding-Tool-13mm-/322095696619?epid=5003305729&hash=item4afe664aeb:g:PmsAAOSweW5VErwm
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9857 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »

Yup, that was actually going to be my first option. I've got the Black & Decker version. The belts snap really easily on jagged metal, so I'm going to B & Q this morning for spare belts & hacksaw blades!

the coppersmith

« Reply #9858 on: October 02, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »

as a welder, you end up grinding loads. I always had a sheet of hardboard and a domestic fire blanket. You can bend the hardboard so it jams and catches grindings (arisings is the correct term) and the fire blanket often makes a little tent or sticks to glass easily with some tape. 10 minutes setting it all up is worth hours of cleaning and repairing scorched surfaces. Of Course I'm retired so doesn't apply to me anymore, I can make as much mess as I like in my mancave, as long as wifey doesn't see it  Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9859 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »

"Arisings"? Really? I can just imagine the conversations that would inspire in Loony's workshop Smiley
Yeah, obviously I do try to cover stuff up, but always still end up with grinding dust everywhere. Don't really want it all over the gearbox for example. The Pop's immovable at the moment cos the rear suspension's apart, so I can't roll it outside. That means everything inside will be covered in dust & grit for weeks, so I'm avoiding using power tools as much as I can.
Not as rusty as it looks with the camera flash, but needs scrubbing & treating before I paper over it with Dynamat.
Currently hacksawing out a flange under the windscreen, where old & new layers of bulkhead overlap -no, it's not structural, just messy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:53:35 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9860 on: October 02, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »

Taken this much out so far.

merv

« Reply #9861 on: October 02, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »

It might be slow but your getting there

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9862 on: October 02, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »

Seems to be an endless task mate.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9863 on: October 04, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »

Dark by 7pm now. Another evening working by a rechargeable LED lamp, fingers cut to bits on jagged bits of metal & fingernails busted, hacksawing out bits of old bulkhead.
I'd forgotten how unfinished we'd left it all under there. I think we just chopped out stuff that was in the way & thought we'd tidy it up later, but never did. Going to have to risk a few angle grinder sparks today to finish it off I think.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9864 on: October 04, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9865 on: October 04, 2017, 08:43:38 PM »

Well, that's lightened it a bit.
Broke out the angle grinder & power file this afternoon & removed the last of the unwanted random bits of sheet metal under the dash. Grinding dust everywhere, but I covered as much of the interior as I could with cardboard &, touch wood, it seems to be unscathed. Got a couple of blisters in the paint on the A panels, (triangular areas in front of the doors), where I filed down some big lumpy welds on the inside, but I expected that & all the paint's only half done anyway, so no problem to fill & rub it down again.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9866 on: October 04, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »

While the dust was settling I tackled the hoop that goes under the dash to support the steering column & various other stuff. It was welded to the chassis & we added a few brackets while it was in place, so some are only welded on one side. Also got several bolt holes for wiring & brake line clips that aren't needed now & can be filled with a spot of weld.
This'll be a bolt-in piece now because I realised it'd be impossible to remove the body with it welded to the chassis now it has so many sticky out brackets fixed to it. So I need to get a couple of 4" long, 1 3/8" diameter mild steel slugs machined -anyone able to do that here for a few quid?
To make sure it clears a couple of recessed sections of the bulkhead when it's fitted, I've notched the back of the hoop & cut some 3mm flat strap to suit. As it's removable, this can be cleaned up & powder coated when it's done. No-one will see it, but it's easier than brush painting it Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:59:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9867 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »

Baychimp

« Reply #9868 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »

If you think that's boring you should have come round and helped me re-point the back wall of the house. That is a chore. Just having a spur of the moment break in sunny Weymouth just now, the joys of being retired,you can do what you like when you like but i'll come round and shout encouragement through the garage door when I get back. Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9869 on: October 04, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »

I'll come round & point at your brickwork if you like.
Might have a spur of the moment break myself next week -I'm on holiday for 3 weeks but can't be bothered to go anywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: