April 20, 2024, 03:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1545027 times)
merv

« Reply #9660 on: July 27, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9661 on: July 30, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »

Not much to show lately, but I slapped a coat of gloss black on one side of the chassis this morning. Impossible to make a pretty job of it, which is frustrating, but -as many have pointed out -if I don't crack on it'll never get back on the road Smiley I'm sure I've missed some bits, but can't crawl far enough underneath to see. Wish I still had the 2 post lift I owned when Taz & I were together. Yes, I own a trolley jack -spent an hour hunting for the handle in the lock-up earlier. Can't find it anywhere, but I only used it a few days ago! Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9662 on: July 30, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »

Fuse box taped up out of the way while I paint. Very grateful to Terry T for the original wiring job & Olds for rewiring the new switches, plus the forum member who donated the wire -I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was -but I'm going to get it professionally rewired over the Winter. Most of it's in red cos that's the wire that was donated & I've no idea what does what.
I've just ordered a "HayWire" loom kit from JackHammer hotrod supply in Farnborough -colour coded wires with "headlight", " left indicator" etc actually printed along the wire.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9663 on: July 30, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9664 on: July 30, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »

I used a similar one in the Model Y..funnily every bloody wire on that was RED

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9665 on: August 03, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

Cheesy I'm not complaining -the forum chaps stepped up when I needed them & the Pop got wired & I drove it for a year with only a couple of small teething issues. I'm very, very grateful to those who donated parts, time & expertise.
It's time for a full rewire though. The original loom's been modified several times now &, as I said, it's mainly all one colour. I don't understand wiring at all, but looking under the main fuse/relay unit, there's a mass of red wire & I have no idea where any of it goes, what it does or even which fuse does what.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9666 on: August 03, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »

I changed the rubbish plastic toggle switches for more heavy duty American push/pull ones & relocated them to a more accessible purpose made pod on the gearbox tunnel & Mr Olds kindly rewired them, (buggering his back up in the process I think), but now there's a couple of new faults -no alternator charging light, (without the bulb in the circuit it won't charge), & no high beam light.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9667 on: August 03, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »

So today I picked up a "HayWire" wiring loom kit from Miles at Jackhammer hotrod supply in Farnborough, Hants. I trust Miles's opinion & he highly recommended the auto electrician across the road from his shop, who rewired Miles's own '41 Ford, (Steve Harvey at Old School Speed). He uses these kits all the time. Miles imports them from the States & they sell pretty quick so I grabbed one of the last 2 in stock.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9668 on: August 03, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »

Steve has a 3 month waiting list, so if I book it now, it could be done over the Christmas period, (a full rewire takes about a week).
Simon the pinstriper, (Nefarious Pinstriping), who's going to signwrite the doors for me, works out of the back of Miles's shop.
So the Pop could go to the electrician, then we can take the doors off & carry them across the road to Si's paint studio, (he has a couple of big artist's easels he stands doors on to paint).
Which means I need to make the decision -do I try & get it on the road for the tail end of this year, then strip all the wiring back out. Or plod on as I am & accept it won't hit the streets till the Spring, but will be properly finished -hopefully with the proper steel pick-up bed derusted, painted & reinstalled? I know some will think it's a cop-out & that I don't want to ever finish it -believe me, I do! -but this seems the sensible option to me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:18:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9669 on: August 03, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »

Just get it rewired and sorted for next year..otherwise we won't have anything to read about over the winter ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9670 on: August 03, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »

Grin

Clive

« Reply #9671 on: August 03, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »

Aim for Spring, fully done Andy, you know it makes the most sense

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9672 on: August 03, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »

Yep, get the job done by the folks that know what's what, you'll be happier anyway!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
merv

« Reply #9673 on: August 03, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »

I'm with the other monkeys, you might as well right this year of and get it on the road for next spring fully working and completed, after all there's not much left of this year any way.

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9674 on: August 04, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »

Nobody thinks I should get on & get the damn thing on the road? I was expecting to be berated by everyone Smiley
Yeah, I think it makes sense -I'll contact the electrician today & book it in -that'll give me a target to aim for to get everything ready.

Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: