April 20, 2024, 11:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1545225 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9615 on: July 11, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »

The garage alarm arrived. Should be 2 seperate components. Only one in the box. So now I've got to phone them tomorrow & chase up the other one. Why is nothing ever simple?! Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9616 on: July 15, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »

The other half of the alarm's arrived. No idea how to fit it, but that'll be tomorrow's job.
Not much progress to show lately, but just gradually cleaning up & re-fitting stuff on the back end of the chassis. Tediously slow, but getting there slowly.
I'd still like to run with no pick-up bed on, just the bare chassis, just cos I like the look of it. Been thinking about making a weight tube up to bolt across the back of the chassis & mounting the number plate & rear lights off it. Just kicking ideas about -probably won't happen, but I've been wondering how much the steel pick-up bed weighs. It took 2 of us to lift it & walk it across the garage & 3 of us to comfortably lift it into the back of Chris's truck. How much would you guess that would weigh? I can lift the wooden bed on my own.
If I made up a steel tube 30" long by 4" diameter & filled it with lead shot, it'd weigh a bit under 2 stone, plus the weight of the tube itself, (3mm steel), plus it'd be mounted right at the back of the chassis -would that increase it's relative weight compared to mounting something further forward? I'm thinking of the leverage effect of weight hanging off the back end. I'd also need a platform to sit the front fuel tank on, which could also be cut from 3mm steel.
Just kicking ideas around as usual, but as I'm working on it, I keep standing back & thinking how much I like the look of it with a bare arse.

merv

« Reply #9617 on: July 15, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »

go for it

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
twisted

« Reply #9618 on: July 15, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

I keep standing back & thinking how much I like the look of it with a bare arse.

Who doesn't like standing back and looking at a bare arse  Wink...........sorry.....taxi !

a man with a fork in a world full of soup
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9619 on: July 16, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »

Just drive it without the weight bar and see first ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #9620 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

Not sure how you got your lead weight figure  (it would depend on the shot size) as 2 stone seems light.
With the price of lead it might be cheaper to use solid steel bar.
Roughly :-
100 mm dia. mild steel round bar = 61kg/meter. 30" = 0.76 meters

61 x 0.76 = 46.36 Kg = 102 Lb = 7 st 4 lb.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9621 on: July 16, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

I knew you'd know the correct figure Dave Smiley
I just used an online volume calculator, multiplied by the weight of leadshot.
The point is, the brakes were set up for the weight of the steel pick-up bed, so without it, they'll lock up all the time & my skinny crossplies don't have brilliant grip at the best of times.
A hollow tube would be easier to work with cos I'd have to recess the front to take a flat plate for the number plate, (already got a length of 3mm plate that would do that), & weld captive nuts in the ends to mount the rear lights to -easier to do with flat discs welded into the tube afterwards. I could even run tubes inside it for the light wiring.
Presumably it'd need a pair of heavy flat straps wrapped around it & bolting through the front & back of the chassis to support it.
Just thinking aloud really -lots to do in the meantime!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9622 on: July 16, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »

Just a reminder - you wanted to get this finished and on the road. 

You'll NEVER do that if you keep thinking up new things to do to it! 

Wasn't that what the wooden bed was all about, a temporary fix to get you on the road?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9623 on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:57 PM »

Yes Mum Smiley
Still plodding on with replacing & refurbishing parts on the back end. Fuel system now sorted as far as the back of the cab, top 4 bar link rods repainted & rose joints refurbished, (a pig of a job to re-fit on my own. Many, many swear words were uttered & a few new ones invented). Also started treating the surface rust on the chassis under the cab.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:49:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9624 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

stinkey

« Reply #9625 on: July 16, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »

Keep cracking on Andy Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9626 on: July 16, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »

Very slowly progressing, but each bolt removed means another trip to the bolt shop or several days wait from Ebay & every coat of paint means a day or two to dry.
I removed one lower 4 bar link rod today -can't take both off at the same time cos the chassis shifts position over the axle, which is why it was so awkward refitting the top ones. I've cleaned up & sprayed the rod, (powder-coated but looking scruffy), & regreased the rose joints & replaced the locking half nuts, (one right hand thread, one left hand). Now I need to find replacements for the rusted front rose joint bolts & paint the section of chassis they bolt to -that means wire brushing it, then a couple of coats of rust killer, a coat of zinc red oxide & a couple of coats of black. So it'll be a week before that one link rod gets refitted. Then I have to do the other side.
Depressingly slow, but at least it's progress.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:00:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9627 on: July 16, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »

Had a look at the alarm today. It needs a SIM card so it can ring you to tell you your garage has been broken into. It won't work on the 3 network.
Guess which network I'm on Sad

stinkey

« Reply #9628 on: July 16, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »

You threw that phone in temper didn't you ? Roll Eyes

JayJay

« Reply #9629 on: July 16, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »

You threw that phone in temper didn't you ? Roll Eyes

Well those Huawei phones look like bricks so Andy probably forgot it was actually his phone he was throwing!  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: