April 27, 2024, 07:49:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1549773 times)
lunatic

« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2007, 11:19:32 PM »

Manky and I were only talking about that a few hours ago! Cool
panthershaun

« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »

what??? my Mexican blanket Angry Angry Angry I knew I shouldn't have let you use my toilet Angry Angry you must have had a good look around Tongue Tongue Tongue Undecided Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
lunatic

« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:27 PM »

Mexican blankets in general!! I havent been snooping round your loo! Honest Wink
tazet
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »

What else are we supposed to do when the door sticks and you can't get out  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »

Mr Lunatic & I spent the afternoon de-guttering a bit more of the Pop. The rust appears to end halfway along the door tops, with the front section being pretty solid, which'll save us some work. We decided to re-install the top half of the door frame & build up the body to suit, rather than trying to make the door fit the hole we create. Dropping the door height by 3 inches means the frame has to move forward to line up again, leaving us a small section to fill in. Shouldn't be a major problem.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:39 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2007, 12:28:58 AM »

The door's temporarily tacked to the body again to hold everything in position while we work on the guttering. We weren't sure how it'd look minus the gutter rail, but with some patient metal bashing by Loony it should have a nicely rounded shape -like me Smiley
The rear corners of the door tops will be radiused -an arc cut off the door frame & welded into the body to make them curvier.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:31:00 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2007, 12:33:36 AM »

The side windows are now roughly 10 inches tall, with a 7 inch windscreen. I'm not gonna see the sky very often driving this thing. Enough room to get my elbow out the window though, for that all important cruising stance.
We seem to have somehow become left hand drive!

brock

« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »

I've never noticed the difference in glass height before, bit late now but you could have cut the screen suround out , chopped the shell and let the screen back in higher in the roof line to level the tops ( isn't there always one, after the event ! ) Doesn't the piece out of the rear of the door fit the top too ?
   Looking good by the way
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »

Now you tell us!
Nah, I like the shape as it is. Chopping the pillars is one thing, but wouldn't want to disturb the actual roofline. Yep, we've carefully stored the section from the rear upright to fill the gap at the top of the door, (O.K, we slung it on the floor, but we know where it is when we need to retrieve it). Still a fair bit more tweaking required to get the 2 door top sections to line up perfectly & Loony's hammering away at the gutterline to get it to flow nicely.
I'm pleased with it so far.  Smiley

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »

cracking work Looney bet yer glad to have that helper Manky with you Cheesy

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #326 on: November 18, 2007, 10:33:32 PM »

Not much of a help at the moment. I can cut slips of plate to bridge the gaps & hold them in place while Loony tacks them, but the rest is really a one man job. Very frustrating cos I want to forge ahead, but time spent here will be well worth it when it's finished.
Had a call from Shaun this afternoon to say he & Grizz were giving up for the day, having been working outside on his Pop in the freezing cold since early this morning. We were still standing around the heater in Loony's workshop, drinking tea, munching choccie chip biccies & getting ready to make a start.
The front of the door top was taken out again, adjusted a little more with the grinder & put back in. That's better. The joint in the top of the window frame lines up better now. The section cut from the rear upright was re-used to fill the gap. It needs a little fettling, but it's almost right.
Then we removed the last of the gutter & tacked in fill-in strips of fresh steel. As I said yesterday, the front end of the roof's pretty solid, so the new steel can be blended in to run down into the front door pillar quite nicely.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #327 on: November 18, 2007, 10:38:20 PM »

The sharp corner at the back edge of the door was softened by radiusing it -cutting an arc off the door & welding it into the body shell. A small detail but it helps with the overall curvy shape of the cab, emphasising the flowing lines of the gutterless roof, & will hopefully echo the curve of the Moggy Minor roof section. Seems to make the car look more vintage too -like a 50s Yank truck.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #328 on: November 18, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »

Kinda busy this week as I'm moving house on Thursday, but we'll be back at the workshop on Tuesday evening.

Chevy Rick

« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »

50s yank truck, steady on Andy  Huh gutterless bodys one thing i found with a Camaro every time you open the door when its raining it drips in on you or pours inside Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: