April 29, 2024, 07:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1551038 times)
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1200 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »

Slightly twisted is a bit of an understatement Cry

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
TwistedPatience

« Reply #1201 on: April 17, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »

Look at the top edge it's curved.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1202 on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

Makes you wonder what happened to it doesn't it. Fortunately the top only holds the plastic cover with the gear positions marked on it, which I hope to replace with a CNC machined aluminium plate. The whole assembly's twisted but as long as the gearstick still postively selects each gear I guess it will work.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

« Reply #1203 on: April 18, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »

The top plate also holds the position of the gear stick which is out of line that's why to select all the gears the front bolt has to be loosened or tightened depending on what gear you want.

To be honest it's not much use as it is, will see if it can be machined from a solid lump of ali with the gates inserted into slots as per the original.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1204 on: April 18, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »

*sigh*. One step forward, yet another back.
O.K Doc, thank you. I'll leave it in your capable hands.  Wink

panthershaun

« Reply #1205 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »

CNC machined aluminium plate.

Stainless Shocked cnc Shocked Shocked watch out American Rodder (RIP) Mankys after your crown Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1206 on: April 19, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »

Actually Shaun, I've been thinking of asking Clive, our resident painty person, to paint the gear positions in red on a black powder coated steel cover plate -more in keeping with the colour scheme & retro look of the rest of the build -& possibly marginally cheaper.
How's your build going?

TwistedPatience

« Reply #1207 on: April 19, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »

Managed to get the top plate clamped down straight on your gear shift gate will leave it that way for a while see if it helps at all, if not back to the drawing board. Grin

panthershaun

« Reply #1208 on: April 19, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »

bloody slow mate Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes keep getting side tracked by other things and of course that dreaded work thing Angry Angry

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1209 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:21 AM »

Thanks Doc.  Wink The shifter mechanism will be bolted directly to the top of the gearbox, so will hopefully be clamped down good & tight. May be able to make the selector gate plate to fit over the mechanism & also bolt to the g/box, to further hold it all in the right place.
Yeah, I know what you mean Shaun. I need at least another 24 hours in every day -& about a week's more sleep. Permanently knackered but never seem to get anything achieved.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:55:35 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #1210 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:33 AM »

curse of the postal classes mate, when I work lates I'm not so tired but don't have any time to myself and earlies means I have free time but to bloody knackered to do much Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1211 on: April 20, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

I've had 23 years of the early shift & still not used to it.  Sad
Visited my big brother Brock a couple of days ago & he was kind enough to interrupt his drag car building schedule to TIG weld a couple of odds & ends for me. Doc, (Twisted Patience), machined me a mounting boss to attach the panhard rod to the Pop axle. Brock welded it in place so today we were able to bolt it up. Loony tested it by bouncing up & down on the chassis -all seemed well, with the various linkages moving freely without fouling on each other. result.
Yeah, I know the sticky-out tubey bits are rusty. They're the radiator/ grille shell mounts & it's only surface rust. It'll eventually be blasted off & powder-coated.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1212 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06:04 PM »

MR B also cut the prop shaft down to size with his chop saw, leaving the cut end nice & square & true to take the universal joint machined down by Doc. I had a quick check to make sure it fitted. It'll run through the cab at the same height as the seat bases. The rubber "donut" joint between the 2 prop sections will be mounted to the underside of the cross member at the rear of the cab.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1213 on: April 20, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »

Flap's trike's in to have a set of rear mudguards made up.
Although they're not needed for the MOT, (last year the examiner actually rang the Ministry for guidance & was told if they're not fitted they can't be tested & therefore can't fail), they are a construction & use requirement so should be fitted for road use. Flap's supposed to be joining us at the weekend for the MonkeyWorld run down to Dorset & needs an MOT before then. Personally I don't think we've got time to get the guards sorted & powder-coated so he ought to be concentrating on checking everything's working & MOTing it, then doing the guards at his leisure. We'll see.
An Ebay bidder turned up at the yard today to check over the Hillman Minx that's currently up for grabs. Apparently he looked across at the Pop & said What a shame they've cut it up. Miserable old git. Hope he loses in the auction now.

Mr_G

« Reply #1214 on: April 21, 2009, 06:50:03 PM »

People like that obviously don't appreciate fine art!

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: