April 27, 2024, 04:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1550067 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11265 on: December 17, 2019, 05:37:57 PM »

Can't believe I'm still getting problems with this thing.
Still getting wrinkles in the paint, (along the edges of filler or previous coats of paint). I've scrubbed the affected areas down to bare metal, filled them, sanded them & primed them a million times. I refuse to let it beat me, but Jeez, there must be better ways to spend Winter evenings than this.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11266 on: December 17, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »

The cr*p areas are getting smaller, but my patience is getting thinner too. I need a barrier paint of some type. Might try another coat of the spray on custard filler/primer but just know that'll make matters worse.
Stoopid thing.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11267 on: December 17, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »

Bought a roll of foam/foil insulation from B & Q, (the stuff you put behind radiators to reflect the heat), to insulate the garage door. Put up one piece then ran out of adhesive spray. Time to go home.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #11268 on: December 17, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »

Like ive said in the past..ive always used black gloss brush on paint,  let it harden thoroughly..rub it down and spray it black gloss? 🤞👍

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
hornet6

« Reply #11269 on: December 17, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »

I know its your pride n joy......Only you will know those small imperfections are there. I would have not noticed that unless I crawl under it with a magnifying glass....it looks hardly anything.

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11270 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »

It'll be on show as I'll be running without the pick-up bed for a while, then without the floor in the bad when it's fitted. I know the first stone chip will bugger it up anyway, but it's just bugging me now!
I tried brush painting to start with, but even using the same paint as is in the aerosols, (mixed & put in spray cans by the local paint shop), I think that's what the spray paint's reacting with.
If it does the same as it did last week, those small imperfections will look a lot worse in a couple of day's time when the pain'ts properly "gassed off".
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:10:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11271 on: December 20, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »

In the lead up to Christmas it goes absolutely crazy at work, so by the time I get home I really don't want to work in the garage. Yesterday I spent 5 hours trudging around the streets in absolutely torrential freezing rain -I got home, switched the electric blanket on & just climbed into bed until this morning.
Thankfully today's my day off, but my regular replacement's off sick so I know there'll be 2 days worth of Mail waiting for me tomorrow.
So not much progress in the last couple of weeks, but I don't "do" Christmas, so will be spending it in the garage.
With that in mind, I've insulated the garage door. I bought a roll of foam backed heat reflective foil from B & Q, (11 quid), & a couple of cans of spray impact glue. Obviously wall papering isn't my forte, but it'll do. It's stopped that 7 foot square of metal leaching the heat out of the garage & as an unexpected bonus, brightened the garage by reflecting the light as well.
Right, back to wrestling with the axle.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11272 on: December 20, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »

I never swear in public, but it's a good job no-one can hear what I'm thinking.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11273 on: December 20, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »

... & again. Tried a different primer, (Halford high build primer), hoping to bury the imperfections, but it's even worse. I've sanded this down to bare metal, filled & primed it so many times, but every paint I try reacts instantly. Really not sure what to do with it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11274 on: December 20, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »

I can't even be arsed to get angry with it any more. Just want to get it sorted so I can move on. I wondered if the Halfords paint was reacting with the local paint shop black paint, so thought about trying to bury the wrinkles in lots of paint shop black paint, then sanding it smooth.
Whatever I do, this needs yet another day to harden before I sand the bloody lot back to bare metal yet again.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:54:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #11275 on: December 20, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

Obviously sanding is pointless..grinder will clear up the areas..and try using some stain blocker first?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11276 on: December 20, 2019, 07:04:23 PM »

I've been trying to find barrier coat in aerosols, but no luck locally so have just bought a can of this on Ebay.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:11:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11277 on: December 22, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »

Assuming I don't get the axle paint sorted over Christmas, I'll get back to doing other jobs on the Pop while I've got 2 days off work, (or maybe I'll just sleep until Boxing Day).
With the back half of the chassis painted, (still got to do the engine bay bit), I can run the copper brake pipes & nickel fuel pipe along the rails.
I've never quite got the hang of creating brake pipe flares, but have got a roll of pipe & the tools, so will have a bit of a practice. I saw a tool for straightening the pipe in Machine Mart's online catalogue, so nipped down to their Southampton branch this morning & picked one up.
Basically just a tube with screw-on collars at either end that hold guides of various sizes. You fit the right sized guides, then feed the coiled pipe in one end & pull it through to straighten it. I imagine you'd need to lubricate it, but hopefully will make a tidier job than trying to do it by hand.

stinkey

« Reply #11278 on: December 23, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »

I can't vouch for that rattle can stuff you have purchased 🤔 but I think it will still react?  The stuff I used is brush on..good luck with the pipe straightener Grin

Archie

« Reply #11279 on: December 23, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »

on the brake lines if you don't fancy making them up we stock a load of different lengths premade to go pretty cheap.

If you need feeding on the 25th you can stop in for a warm meal - won't be christmassy, but there will be plenty to go round I think
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: