March 28, 2024, 08:59:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537131 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10920 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »

Just talking from experience of past mistakes mate..not being a know it all Shocked Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10921 on: January 20, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »

My day off today, but far too cold for painting. The coat I sprayed last week has dried well though, so I can rub the runs out of it -yet again.
Picked this little oddity up from a mate here in Basingstoke this morning. It's an aftermarket keyless ignition switch. No idea how old it is. Appears to have both British & American patents, made by "Simba". I might fit it to the Pop, or just keep it as a conversation piece.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10922 on: January 20, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »

It has a 2 digit combination, (90 possible combinations? I'm sure someone's correcting me as I write).
Turn the dial clockwise for the first number, then anti clockwise for the other, then turn the knob like a normal key, one click for ignition on, then again to start. If it stalls, just turn the knob -no need to enter the code again. It can also be wired to the horn so that it sounds if the wrong code's tried.
The chrome knob's removable -wonder if it could be replaced with a shorter, knurled one.
Yeah, I know you still need to carry a door key, but I just thought it'd make an interesting detail.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:49:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #10923 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »

It has a 2 digit combination, (90 possible combinations? I'm sure someone's correcting me as I write).
Turn the dial clockwise for the first number, then anti clockwise for the other, then turn the knob like a normal key, one click for ignition on, then again to start. If it stalls, just turn the knob -no need to enter the code again. It can also be wired to the horn so that it sounds if the wrong code's tried.
The chrome knob's removable -wonder if it could be replaced with a shorter, knurled one.
Yeah, I know you still need to carry a door key, but I just thought it'd make an interesting detail.

Good god  the last time I saw one of them is when I fitted it for a customer  late 70,s  ,,,son,t use it ,,its a museum piece with original packaging

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
minimutly

« Reply #10924 on: January 21, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »

Depending where you put it, it might fail your sva for you?
poprodder

« Reply #10925 on: January 21, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »

Depending where you put it, it might fail your sva for you?

?

merv

« Reply #10926 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »

are you forgetting, it's already passed it's msva

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10927 on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:31 PM »

Yup, already registered. If anything it might help, if classed as an immobiliser.
Might fit it, might not. I just liked it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:00:40 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10928 on: January 21, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »

minimutly

« Reply #10929 on: January 21, 2019, 05:52:17 PM »

are you forgetting, it's already passed it's msva
No, hadn't forgotten, but somewhere between my ears and top vertebae I thought I remembered Andy saying it was going to be modified and so retested - obviously misremembered that bit...
Probably it was "I'm not modifying it to avoid retesting it"
Age for you.
merv

« Reply #10930 on: January 21, 2019, 06:42:19 PM »

I know all about age  Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
poprodder

« Reply #10931 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »

News flash. Come on Andy.  Post it up.

Olds

« Reply #10932 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »

Hmm. Keyless key. It's fun, unusual and period. Just not the right period. Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10933 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »

But what period is it?

Smiley It's perfectly legal to modify a vehicle after testing, as you'd modify any normal vehicle, as long as it still complies to the construction & use/MOT regulations & you notify DVLA of any major changes, like engine size or colour.
Yes Chris, news from the vallieys today.
I contacted Ifan in Cardiff last week -is that the valleys, or the hills? Anyway, it's been exactly a year since I gave him my doors to modify & after an initial day of activity, there's been no progress. To be fair, he did say he'd fit them in between other jobs, but even if I had everything else finished, I'd be going nowhere without them.
So a few days ago I told him I'd be over to collect them next Monday, (I've got a week's holiday), & this morning I booked a hire van for next week.
Ta-dah! They're done. We'll, mostly. Still a few bits to finish, like the 1/4 light frames need re-shaping & welding, but the bulk of it's done.
He's welded in the metal 1941 Mercury interior window trims that I bought on eBay -I chopped them into sections & reworked them to suit the chopped window openings.
They have integral 1/4 lights, so when the trims are removed, the 1/4 lights come out with them -but not now cos they're welded in.
He's welded in the new bottom panels with the reflector recesses in them, made for me by Hornet.
He's welded in the new window runners I had made up.
He's currently modifying the Pop window winders to work with the shorter windows.
Tomorrow he's cutting the bottoms out of the doors & replacing them with removable panels, to make fitting the glass easier by sliding it up from underneath.
I'm not sure if he's trimmed the door edges back & welded them where the outer skin was coming apart in a couple of places -I'll talk to him about that tomorrow. He also hasn't fitted the new 1/4 light latches I bought, to replace the unobtainable able original that I stupidly broke.
So a few jobs left to do on them, plus I may have to recess the front corners of the interior trims to clear the ends of the dashboard, but won't know for certain until I fit them.
He tells me they're free of charge because they took so long, but I'll pay him anyway. I don't expect anyone to work for free.
So another piece of the puzzle coming together at last Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10934 on: January 21, 2019, 11:05:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: