April 27, 2024, 03:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1549620 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10785 on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:42 PM »

The fuel tank sits on a temporary steel platform, which I'll run with until the pick up bed's refurbished. It needs to support 8 gallons of fuel & I also need to add some weight to the back of the Pop to get decent traction without the weight of the bed, so it's cut from 5mm thick plate.
Repositioning the fuel outlet pipe meant I had to drill a new hole in the plate. Any normal person would simply bung a rubber blanking grommet in the old hole -so this afternoon I nipped over to Loony's workshop with it. He's going to weld up the old hole & I'll get the plate re powder-coated. The coater charged me a fiver for it last time & no, I wouldn't be happy with a rubber grommet Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10786 on: October 26, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »

I've got used to seeing the truck without this tank & actually prefer it with just a flat chassis, but won't get far with no fuel. There'll be a reserve tank under the back of the chassis, but it only holds enough for 100 miles.
I think once the bonnet goes back on it'll help to balance up the profile -it looks a little nose heavy with all the bodywork at the front & none at the back, so the tank helps to even it out.
The paint's nowhere near as glossily smooth as it looks here & still needs a lot of cutting & polishing.
Nice to see Mr Kapri at Loon's place, having new coil springs fitted to his modern Beetle Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:17:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10787 on: October 28, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »

Thank you to Loony for welding up the unwanted fuel pipe hole in the tank mounting plate, (using the plug I drilled with the hole saw when I drilled the new hole). When I collected it from his workshop I suddenly realised there were 2 other holes I don't need as I've repositioned the electric fuel pump, so he welded those up too while I waited.
I'll nip it over the the powder coater after work tomorrow.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10788 on: October 30, 2018, 07:27:02 PM »

Collected the tank from the welder's again after work today. Blocked fuel outlet now sorted. They blew the tank out with an airline afterwards & found it was full of white chalky dust. No idea what that is -maybe the metal was coated with something that's reacted with the heat of welding? I know galvanised steel gives off a white smoke -& some pretty nasty fumes -when welded, but this is a definite crumbly chalky residue.
It's a new tank so never had fuel in it. I'll ask the painter to blow it out again, then will carefully flush it out before fitting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:58:35 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10789 on: October 31, 2018, 07:31:09 AM »

Years off filler dust  Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #10790 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »

Years off filler dust  Grin

Grin Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10791 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »

Could be!

spanners

« Reply #10792 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »

Collected the tank from the welder's again after work today. Blocked fuel outlet now sorted. They blew the tank out with an airline afterwards & found it was full of white chalky dust. No idea what that is -maybe the metal was coated with something that's reacted with the heat of welding? I know galvanised steel gives off a white smoke -& some pretty nasty fumes -when welded, but this is a definite crumbly chalky residue.
It's a new tank so never had fuel in it. I'll ask the painter to blow it out again, then will carefully flush it out before fitting.

Its the residue left when you weld galvanized metal

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Archie

« Reply #10793 on: November 02, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »

might need to put some pressure on the guy doing the doors

if they'll go in the back of the aldi we can go and get them one day, save you hiring a van
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10794 on: November 04, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »

Thanks. Not just the 2 doors, but all the fittings & upholstered door cards etc -everything door related.
I'm on holiday now for a week, so could give him till the end of the week then go get 'em.
Alternatively, I've got another week off in January.
Starting to wonder if I'll make the April deadline!
I spoke to Miles a couple of days ago, (the guy who's organising the Dutch show I"m aiming for, who actually lives in Hampshire). He showed me photos of some of the cars that'll be there. Proper, top notch show cars from as far away as Sweden. It's a very traditional hotrod & bike show -no modern stuff, no smooth street rods, no muscle cars. He hinted several times that he'd really like mine to have the steel pick-up bed fitted. That'd mean a whole other bunch of jobs to do & would make the weight tube I built unnecessary, but I'll try.
Caught red handed -sanding the red oxide on the chassis.

stinkey

« Reply #10795 on: November 04, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »

It's your truck..so don't let Miles dictate the look mate ? Get it done

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10796 on: November 04, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

I'm doin' it, I'm doin' it!

merv

« Reply #10797 on: November 04, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »

Are you sure, Cheesy

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10798 on: November 04, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »

Sat in the lock-up with a bit of emery paper, sanding the chassis as we speak.

stinkey

« Reply #10799 on: November 04, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »

At least your not pushing that bike around Basingstoke anymore  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: