March 29, 2024, 01:43:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537698 times)
Baychimp

« Reply #10605 on: July 10, 2018, 10:38:41 PM »

Oh bother, I thought you would have been out mincing about on the bike today. I would have popped over if I had known.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10606 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »

I'm surprised you couldn't hear me swearing from your place!
I also compounded the interior. Again, not perfect, but acceptable.
So I thought I'd refit the upholstered roof panel. It's a job I've been dreading -with good reason. It's a steel panel, (actually part of a Morris Minor roof skin), because I wanted it to curve in both directions to give me maximum headroom in the cab, rather than just a flat panel, which would've been several inches lower in the middle. I didn't want to just glue something directly to the inside of the Pop roof, so this is suspended on half a dozen bolts.
As expected, it was a pig of a job & very quickly had me drenched in sweat & swearing like a navvy. None of the bolt holes would line up & the panel weighed a ton, balanced on my head as I fumbled with the bolts.
F@#! F@#! F@#!
Finally got it bolted up, with a couple of small dings in the paint, but a lot less than I expected & I think they're repairable.
I got right to the very last bolt though, in the front right corner, & stripped the thread. Bugger!
The front edge of the panel tucks behind the sun visor mounts & is held by their 4mm bolts, screwing into captive nuts tack welded to the back of the panel. I'm hoping the bolt's gone in at an odd angle & buggered the thread. I'll try a longer one to see if I can pick up the thread further in, but if not I may have to try tapping it to 5mm, or even trying a self tapper.
Worst case scenario, the captive nut's popped off the back of the panel. No way I'm taking it out again, so if so I'll have to try the self tapper idea or even a large pop rivet as it needs to be secure to hold the sun visor.
I'm on holiday from Thursday & need to do some organising tomorrow, so it'll have to wait till I come back, which will give me time to calm down & assess it. Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:48:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10607 on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:31 PM »

It used to be a bit gappy round the edges, do I had a soft bead added around the panel, which is partly why nothing lined up any more.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10608 on: July 10, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »

I've pushed the back edge up a bit in the middle to repair a ding in the paint, caused by levering the damn panel with a screw driver  Angry
Next panel will be the one around the rear window. What could possibly go wrong?!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:54:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #10609 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »

If you wait until you come back I'll give you a hand to hold it. That will make things easier
You might be able to tap a thread into the bracket.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:59:57 PM by Baychimp » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10610 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »

Yes I could. That'd hold the visor, but not the roof panel. If nothing else works I'd have to do that & try gluing the panel to the back of the bracket -I'll worry about how to remove it again if I ever have to!

Baychimp

« Reply #10611 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:05 PM »

We can take it back down and have a look at it. Two pairs of hands make it easier.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10612 on: July 10, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »

Do you realise how much I swore putting it up?!
Yeah, I guess we could if I can't tap it out for a bigger bolt. Thanks -the voice of reason, (yeah I know. It's not your car so you can walk away from it!).
Time for bed. I'll/we'll look at it next week Smiley

merv

« Reply #10613 on: July 11, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »

Andy, Baychimp makes sense, walk away from it enjoy your holiday and start again with Baychimp when you get back.

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10614 on: July 11, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

Yeah, I know. It makes sense. I was getting s-o-o frustrated with it yesterday.
There's an old guy who lives next to the garages. He sticks his head in the door from time to time to see what I'm up to & take the mickey out of it not being finished. He turned up just as I discovered the buggered thread yesterday. I really don't think he realised how close he came to getting a punch in the face Sad
Today I'm supposed to be doing the last minute stuff for my holiday tomorrow, but have nipped to the local tool shop. The roof panel's held with 6mm bolts, except the combined front edge/visor mounts which are 4mm. So I've got a longer 4mm bolt, plus a 5mm one & a new 5mm tap. It's a stupid little problem but needs to be fixed. Not touching it till I get back, but I'll probably be sitting on the aeroplane tomorrow thinking about it!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10615 on: July 11, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »

Just noticed the ding in the paint, right in the corner above the bracket Sad
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:39:30 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10616 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »

The stainless rods I made to clip the visors in place with need a bend in them to bring them closer to the light unit I want to clip them to. They're not long enough to bend, but I've got a couple of short offcuts of the 8mm rod, so will have to cut them, add an angled piece in the middle & get them welded up. Nothing's ever straight forward is it Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10617 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »

Mark Harley got this full-on road/race Pop through BIVA yesterday, helped by Kapri's knowledge of testing procedures. Shows what's possible within the rules.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10618 on: July 13, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »

Apart from the little problems, the roof panel's looking good, Andy!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Stix

« Reply #10619 on: July 13, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »

The stainless rods I made to clip the visors in place with need a bend in them to bring them closer to the light unit I want to clip them to. They're not long enough to bend, but I've got a couple of short offcuts of the 8mm rod, so will have to cut them, add an angled piece in the middle & get them welded up. Nothing's ever straight forward is it Sad
Can you bolt them on from the top to close that gap??
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: