April 28, 2024, 03:59:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1550643 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1050 on: February 13, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »

Not much to report today. Spent the whole afternoon trying to figure out how to fit a manual choke conversion to the Holley carb I'm going to fit to the Pop. It's a genuine Holley conversion kit, but comes with vague written instructions & no diagrams, plus some of the parts are for 4 barrel carbs like mine & some for 2 barrel. So it took several hours of head scratching, but I think it's right now. Seems to be a million different levers & cams & stuff on both sides of the carb body & I'm not entirely sure which does what!
We'll probably put the Pop through the SVA test with the current SU carbs on as they seem to work, then change afterwards. I'm thinking probably just a plain round chrome air filter, poking through the bonnet if necessary. The carb's supposed to sit level to the ground, but obviously doesn't at the moment. Not sure if the valley between the 2 rows of cylinders is angled. If not we'll have to make up a tapered spacer plate to level things up.
The chrome plated carb came from Neil, the guy Brock got the original Black Pig drag car from. Plated parts were one of many options available. I'm told it's a late 70s unit that's never been used. Taz stripped it down for me & fitted a rebuild kit from Real Steel -who needs a missus who can cook & clean when you can have one who's happy to rebuild engines! The manifold is a second-hand one from Pop Browns. I was told it was from a Buick, but there's no manufacturers marks on it & a couple of people have said it may be an unknown aftermarket one.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1051 on: February 13, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »

poprodder

« Reply #1052 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »

was expecting to see it on kitchen table!!! Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1053 on: February 13, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »

It was.  Grin Then I took it to an exotic location to photograph it, (less washing up in the background in the shed).

tazet
« Reply #1054 on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »

But after the shed for the photo shoot it moved to the spare bedroom for a nap. It's hard work being a photography model you know.
poprodder

« Reply #1055 on: February 15, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »

you can get a low level filter for 4barrels.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1056 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

That would be worth a look. Any idea who stocks them?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1057 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »

Another small step forward & a matching one back again today.
Loony & I have worked out the steering set-up for the Pop & confirmed with Brock, knower of all things, that it'll work. It involves re-using the original Pop steering box, mounted up front on the right-hand chassis leg, with a short section of the Pop steering column running back towads the cab & linked via a universal joint to a Morris Minor steering column.
Fine. So I've cut down the Pop inner column. The outer sleeve that normally surrounds it, also locates it into the steering box, so we need to keep a short length of that, with the fittings from either end.
So I found someone with a lathe today to machine the two ends of the inner shaft so they'll slot together, so I can weld them up. Great. Unfortunately, when he clamped it into the chuck of his lathe, he tightened the jaws onto the nut that retains the ball bearing race in the outer sleeve & ping! -it promptly snapped in half.
Bugger. So now I need a ball bearing retaining nut with a very fine cycle thread, (yes, I've already tried the local cycle shop), for a 50 year old car. Anyone got the fittings from a 1953 Ford Pop steering column they don't need? 

poprodder

« Reply #1058 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.asp?display=SubCategory&Col_Category=Accessories+%26+Chrome&Col_SubCategory=Air+Cleaners

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1059 on: February 17, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »

That's not a steering column nut ...ahh, I see. Yup, I like that Mr Gasket Lo Rider air filter. 14 inch diameter, which sounds quite big, so I'll have to measure up the car. Thanks Sir.
I think I may also need an angled base plate to level up the carb on the manifold. Do you know of anyone who sells those? I've tried Real Steel but they can't help.

poprodder

« Reply #1060 on: February 17, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

i think i've some bits left, will have a look when i'm next over there(you in a hurry!!!)

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1061 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »

Thank you. Yeah, always in a hurry! Taz has posted a wanted ad on the NSRA forum too. I want to get the steering set-up sorted over the next week or so if I can. I've ordered some rose joints & threaded inserts n stuff for the drag link & they won't be in till next week.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:58:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

brock

« Reply #1062 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

Did you try McGill Motorsport for the inserts and stuff ? normally next day and cheap
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1063 on: February 18, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

No I didn't. Vaguely remember you telling me about them.
I need a left hand & a right hand 10mm rose joint with male threads, plus matching locking nuts, plus a pair of M10 threaded inserts & a metre of suitable tube to weld them into. Failing that, a length of solid bar & someone who can cut M10 threads on the end might be easier.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:57:46 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

brock

« Reply #1064 on: February 18, 2009, 12:56:34 AM »

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/McGill-Motorsports
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: