March 29, 2024, 01:47:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537481 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10365 on: April 19, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »

Yes..the yanks use them all the time..Dremel may take a while? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Clive

« Reply #10366 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »

Longer than a broken hacksaw blade?? Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Olds

« Reply #10367 on: April 19, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »

Have you thought of splinting the joints, to ensure they are secure. Split tube across the joint bolted through both sections.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10368 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »

Yup, wondered if that was a bit overkill Dave, but better than dying when the steering column comes adrift I guess.
Had a bit of a siesta after work today -far too hot to go back out straight away -but spent a couple of hours in the garage this evening. One side of one tube cut.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

« Reply #10369 on: April 20, 2018, 06:44:36 AM »

You haven't got time for sleeping geezer..well don't admit to it on here  Grin,but it's one of the best things,I used to often lay down in my workshop while tinkering on projects and doze off

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10370 on: April 25, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »

Yup, I did that under the Pop outside Loony's workshop one Summer's day. Smiley
I know it doesn't look any different, but having successfully sanded out the run on the bulkhead, I've given it another couple of coats, wet sanded the rest of the body & sprayed the final coats in the interior.
Today's top tip -don't use cheap B & Q masking tape. As I was spraying the passenger door shut, the tape on the windscreen began to unstick itself & fall off. I managed to grab it before it fell onto the dashboard surround, but in the process I squirted too much paint in one spot on the door shut.
So now I have another run to deal with. Leave it to dry for a couple of days -don't touch it, don't touch it!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10371 on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »

Olds

« Reply #10372 on: April 26, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »

It's getting there. Slowly, but it's getting there. Smiley
A friend had the opposite problem with masking tape during a heat wave. Masked all the trim up on his Mk3 Cortina but didn't get around to spraying for a week. It baked on and scraping it off again took for ever.

stinkey

« Reply #10373 on: April 26, 2018, 06:57:16 AM »

Imagine getting masking tape off after 30 years ? Undecided
I'm thinking the trucks getting heavier with all that paint Andy ? Grin time for some HOLES !

Archie

« Reply #10374 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

Yeah we found when painting the skirting etc at home, cheapy masking tape fell off. Use the gorilla tape all the time now
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10375 on: April 26, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

Smiley Back to the paint supply shop today to buy decent tape. The B & Q stuff stuck to the windscreen rubbers with no problem, but didn't stay stuck to itself when it got wet with paint. So the edges were O.K but the newspaper I'd masked the glass with started to fall away as I was spraying. Ended up holding it in place with one hand & spraying with the other.
By the time it's finished it'll have a litre of the old satin pale green on it, 2 litres of the new slightly darker gloss green & a litre of clear lacquer, (I gave the fuel tank to someone else to paint & they lacquered it, so now I have to try & match that finish). The paintshop guys reckon 2 litres would be about right for a small cab, but I'm also doing the interior, the engine bay bulkhead & the radiator shell.

Clive

« Reply #10376 on: April 26, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »

Frog tape. Great masking tape, but not the cheapest. If you’re getting some, go for the yellow stuff!
I’ve also found that The Range do a ‘low tack’ masking tape, that sticks really well, but peels off easily

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Olds

« Reply #10377 on: April 26, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »

The paintshop guys reckon 2 litres would be about right for a small cab, .
Think that rather depends on how much gets sanded off again. Cheesy
2 litres doesn't seem a lot.  I know I used nearly 2.5 litres on the trike and the MGB took almost 5 litres before I was happy with it.

stinkey

« Reply #10378 on: April 26, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »

I swear I didn't prompt him to say that ? Roll Eyes

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10379 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »

Smiley
Had a quick look at the Pop this evening. The cellulose seems to sink or shrink quite a lot as it dries -the run I found yesterday's still there, but has smoothed out quite a bit. Hopefully some careful sanding will sort it out.
The interior doesn't feel too bad at all, (the LED lights were at home, recharging), but I could feel a few powdery dry patches on the bulkhead, mainly at the bottom behind the engine, where it's awkward to spray. So I'll give them a light sanding tomorrow then a few good heavy coats over the whole cab.
I know it's taken about a month to get this far, but it's been a few hours here & there in the evenings & lots & lots of prep' work. I'm quite enjoying just experimenting with it & seeing how good a finish I can get with aerosol cans.

Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: