March 28, 2024, 11:06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537166 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10035 on: December 08, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »

Cheesy Don't tempt me.
Nipped over to Berkshire after work today to see Bernie the fabricator. He's welded up the window runners for the doors -or rather, re-made them cos he decided it was easier than re-doing the previous welders' work. Unfortunately, after I'd spent ages finding stainless U channel, he re-made them in mild steel, which means I'll have to paint them, which I was trying to avoid. Green or black? Probably black. Nice job though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:26:58 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10036 on: December 09, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »

I think you may find the cold/damp weather is getting to the body filler Andy ? And do you really need to drill holes for the new bungs ? Surely the weight will stop them popping out once all back together ? If you do drill holes I'm sure you can just do only one side and slip in a retaining bolt just to stop it twisting ?
PS are you also waiting for the Tinker tailor ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10037 on: December 09, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »

Cheesy one tradesman down, several more to go.
Once the door's closed, the garage is surprisingly cosy -not warm, but O.K & it's dry. I insulated the roof with loft lagging & use a small butane heater if it feels cold. The filler's only a thin skim & doesn't feel spongey like it does when the damp's got into it, but I swear there are high spots of bare metal showing now that weren't noticeable before -maybe it's just coming back with a fresh eye after a few days off.
The chassis loop holds the steering column, throttle pedal, remote brake servo & various dashboard panels -so not actually structural, but I don't want it to move. The whole truck's massively over engineered cos when we started building it we really weren't sure how strong things had to be. No paper thin crumple zones for us!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:28:19 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #10038 on: December 09, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »

Well seeing as it's holding the steering column you'd definitely bolt that baby in dude Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10039 on: December 09, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »

At last we agree! Smiley
This photo cropped up on FaceBook today. Taken outside Loony's old workshop by Gary, a local recovery truck driver, who took the Pop to the MOT test centre after it had been through the commercial SVA test, (although it'd been thoroughly inspected by VOSA & was registered as a new vehicle, it still needed an MOT because it was built from old parts).

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10040 on: December 09, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »

Quite badly hurt my back at work so I've been resting it.........

Now I'm just waiting on a painter, a powder coater, a fabricator & an upholsterer.

Maybe a sign to leave it alone for a bit and let your back heal.

Did you lift something you shouldn't?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #10041 on: December 10, 2017, 12:41:04 AM »

At last we agree! Smiley
This photo cropped up on FaceBook today. Taken outside Loony's old workshop by Gary, a local recovery truck driver, who took the Pop to the MOT test centre after it had been through the commercial SVA test, (although it'd been thoroughly inspected by VOSA & was registered as a new vehicle, it still needed an MOT because it was built from old parts).

Where is Looney hanging out these days Huh Not heard anything about him or how he is doing

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10042 on: December 10, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »

The lease ran out on his old workshop & the owners wanted to sell the land for housing, so he had to find somewhere else. That meant several mates who had project cars stored under tarpaulins outside had to find new premises too, including me.
Loon now has a brand new unit in a yard of assorted small businesses, which is probably better cos he's not sat alone all day -but also means he's not left alone all day Smiley The rent's double what he was paying before so he needs to up the pace a lot to make it pay. It's a few miles further out of the way so means a special trip rather than just dropping in. I've been busy with the Pop & the bike, so just haven't seen much of him lately. He's fine as far as I know Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10043 on: December 10, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »

Just middle age aches & pains I think Bobbi.
Delivering the Mail's a very physical job & is getting tougher. Unfortunately I'm also getting older! The 6 weeks or so leading up to Christmas -now including the much hated Black Friday sales -become increasingly hectic. The sorting office is absolutely manic. No easing gently into the working day for us -it's full on from the moment we walk in the door -noisy, lorries arriving constantly with more work, Mail flying in all directions, lots of shouting. It gets very stressful at times. Then, once we've sorted the Mail into the various deliveries, it's off to our own sorting benches to sort it again into the streets in the correct order. Bundle it up, load it into vans, wedge in all the extra Christmas parcels & head out into the traffic. 4 or 5 hours marching round the roads in rain, snow & minus temperatures, then back to the office to sort out all the stuff we couldn't deliver cos people weren't in, put the van away, do a load of paperwork, argue with the managers who don't want to pay us overtime for the couple of hours we've gone beyond the end of our shift to get the job done, then home.
I've got a slightly bigger van for Christmas & I think it might be the extra step up into it & turning as I jump out that did it. So much to do on the Pop, but I do keep telling myself it's just a hobby. Not worth killing​ myself over.

stinkey

« Reply #10044 on: December 10, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »

The jobs not worth killing yourself over either Shocked

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10045 on: December 10, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »

Very true.
There's a Pop meet at the Ace Cafe in London today. I was almost tempted to go, but it'd mean a 50 mile drive up the motorway in sleet/rain & an hour crawling around the North Circular to stand about in the freezing cold for the afternoon. They do great cheesy chilli chips there though.
Think it might be a quite afternoon indoors for me today.

hornet6

« Reply #10046 on: December 10, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »

Same here today. The weathers closed in around the midlands.....good job we got some emergency flares and some kendal cake.

no projects ever finished
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10047 on: December 10, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »

The jobs not worth killing yourself over either Shocked

He's right, no job is worth that.   I will always wished I'd packed mine in sooner but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10048 on: December 10, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

I do actually enjoy the job. The bit in the depot's hectic, with a lot of hassle from the managers -since we were privatised it's become even more beaurocratic with an endless obsession with petty details while we're struggling to do the job -but once my van buddy & I are out on the road there's no-one breathing down our necks & we just get on with it.
When I started drawing my pension back in February I thought about dropping down to a 3 day week, but decided I'm fine as I am & would take the extra money instead, (130 quid a week on top of my wages). I can always change my mind if it gets too much.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10049 on: December 10, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »

When I started drawing my pension back in February I thought about dropping down to a 3 day week, but decided I'm fine as I am & would take the extra money instead, (130 quid a week on top of my wages). I can always change my mind if it gets too much.

That's pretty much what I did although I did go part time.  But it's not till you stop that you realise how much easier life becomes!  Still, as you say, the extra money helps.

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: