March 28, 2024, 04:45:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus: Drivers to get six-month emergency MOT extension BBC  (Read 1842 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: March 26, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »

Announced 25th March, comes into effect Mon 30th March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:31:10 AM »

I was talking about this to a friend yesterday -at a safe distance. His modern Bonneville's MOT has just expired & the test date had been cancelled.
I'd heard something on the radio about this, but couldn't find any mention of it on my phone.
Thanks. I'll pass that on, but hopefully nothing else Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »

If his MOT has already expired then it doesn't apply to him. Only vehicles that the MOT runs out on or after the 30th. If it runs out before, then as garages/MOT centres are supposed to be open, you must get an MOT or take the vehicle off the road.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »

That's what I wondered Dave.
I'll send him the link & let him know.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »

Already booked mine in for next month as due end of April. I would rather not go as I do not want to get this virus. I only just survived pneumonia by the skin of my teeth last time. Why take the risk? I'm just keeping away from everyone. The only thing I plan to do is drive to the postbox to carefully post a card and a letter. Need to speak with my insurer as insurance is due just after anyway. Don't want them saying I wasn't insured because my MOT was out of date when I hit the postbox!  Roll Eyes

I don't think the risk of infection will be over for a long time yet. I've already said to my Sister, I don't think her big Summer holiday in the States this year will be going ahead. Perhaps she'll be doing this ...

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:25:03 AM »

Published 25 March 2020
Department for Transport, Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, and The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP

All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March 2020. Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for essential repair work. Drivers can be prosecuted if driving unsafe vehicles.

Might as well cancel that MOT booking JJ

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:32:49 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
JayJay

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 11:28:05 PM »

Cheers Olds. I had seen that. I just wasn't convinced the insurers would be so accepting if I had a bump while my MOT was exempted.  Huh

I imagine insurance companies are taking massive hits anyway with so many cancelled holidays and getting people home from different countries etc and all this on the back of those floods we had. I bet our policies will be hiked on renewal.  Shocked

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
JayJay

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »

Message from my Insurer - email to all customers.

Repeats gvt blurb:
"If you’ve been unable to get your car tested ...
... Drivers can be prosecuted if driving unsafe vehicles.”

The bit I was more interested in:

If you make a claim with no valid MOT due to COVID-19, we may ask to see any MOT or servicing history documentation.

Makes it sound as if they will try their best to get out of a claim if you cannot demonstrate you have regularly maintained the car. I would have thought a valid MOT on 30/03/20 should suffice. Oh well, just hope I have no reason to test them.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: