April 19, 2024, 06:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yacht skipper wipes out Greta Thunberg's emmisions savings  (Read 1772 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 01, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »

Sorry, climate change is a serious subject, but this did make me chuckle:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7743223/Yacht-skipper-wiped-carbon-emissions-saved-Greta-Thunbergs-sail-Atlantic.html.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »

Face.palm.
JayJay

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »

Don't get me started!  Angry 

Sorry, I can't stop myself.  Wink

It is a serious subject but if our fight to save the planet was based on correct data, maybe we could get on with it without the hysteria. In the UK everyone should be recycling, everyone should be using water sparingly and everyone should be keeping an eye on their thermostats; fires; cookers; dryers; hot water and anything else that in many cases makes excessive demands on our fossil fuels. Don't forget your electric car!  Roll Eyes The hysteria over our carbon footprints is just unnecessary. Pollution is a different story and yes improved technology to reduce it would be wonderful. The same goes to reducing the amount of palm oil used in so many products now while key habitats are demolished to make way for its growth.

The World Meteorological Organization says that the alarmist narrative on climate change has gone off the rails and they criticised the news media for provoking unjustified anxiety. It is true. Some children are starting to fret over the news they are bombarded with, which is quite unnecessary. Even when I took my Granddaughter to Winchester Science Centre, one of the presenters there was telling the children to eat less meat to help save the planet! Oh please. Maybe said presenter will forego her holiday in Europe too.

How many scientists coming up with all these "facts" are paid by major companies whose self interests determine what they want to hear. If you were given a £2 million grant to research rising sea levels with a promise of further money would you go out of your way to make sure the results reflected the need for further research? Or am I being too cynical?

Facts exist that others don't want to hear. They muddy their own research. Such as between 1790 & 1830, when there was reduced solar output (like now), the cold caused the loss of crops and famine. It was believed that reduced solar output also caused severe volcanic eruptions. In 1815 the weather was even cold in the summer and the climate was a big talking point. 200 years later and ... Roll Eyes However, the Global Warming brigade seem to ignore such solar data and keep banging their Global Warming CO2 gong.

Meanwhile others demonstrate because they are taking the scaremongering "facts" as truth.
Individuals should do some research first before believing everything they're told. The same goes for Greta and her fawners. Meanwhile, demonstrating groups leave loads of rubbish behind them after they have demonstrated. Yes, really environmentally friendly!

Okay, I'll shut up now even though I wanted to also share the disaster of wind farms, especially now major players are on the brink and laying off employees because they can't stay feasible without all the subsidies they have been receiving ... Lips Sealed
 Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »

Well put JJ. Glad I'm not alone in my cynicism of the scare mongering.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »

But it's undeniable the forests in many places ARE being cut down at an alarming amount because of humans?  We are the PLAGUE  That does need culling unfortunately? 

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »

We're not helping, but I tend to think we're just a part of it all, not the only cause.
The hole in the ozone layer -remember that? 10 years ago it was going to kill us all. China's producing more CFCs than ever before & the hole's now the smallest it's ever been.
The Artic ice is reducing, but the Antarctic ice is increasing.
We're constantly being told the weather is the hottest, coldest, driest, wettest it's ever been, yet our own records show it's barely changed since we began keeping records.
It makes sense to live the cleanest lives we can, to preserve our resources & to look after other life forms, but I think a lot of the eco/climate stuff is beyond our control & goes in cycles. We've got better at measuring the changes, but the cycles probably go in hundreds or thousands of years, not the few decades that we've been watching them.
We might not survive our own stupidity, but I'm sure the planet will adapt & survive just fine once we're gone.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

Can'r be a***d to hunt for the details now but about half the scientists agree it's a load of rubbish - but it makes much better news to quote the ones that preach doom and gloom.  As I recall, it's not many years (well in my lifetime) since they were predicting a new ice age.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »

Not so long ago we were told using paper bags would end up destroying the forests & that plastic bags were the answer.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: