March 28, 2024, 11:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: London attack  (Read 1469 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: November 30, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

I'm not getting into the politics or rants against immigration or the justice system etc, cos we don't do that here -so please don't -but I loved this report on the London Bridge attack in the New York Times yesterday.
Grabbing a whale tusk from a display in a fish shop to fend off a terrorist is just such a British thing to do Smiley I'm surprised no-one's used the battered fish headline yet.
A few years ago a middle aged football fan waded into a similar situation yelling "Millwall!" I guess when a life or death situation suddenly arises the adrenaline kicks in & we draw on whatever gets us fired up to take action.
It's good to know that the British Have a go instinct is still alive & complete strangers will band together when they need to.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:48:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 04:35:44 PM »

That really is the "Blitz" spirit, good on you, London boyos😉😉Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 06:35:55 PM »

More info on this:
The guy with the whale tusk is a Polish immigrant who was working at Fishmongers' Hall, an exhibition space being used by Cambridge University for a conference about rehabilitating criminals -who decided it'd be a good idea to hold the conference at the site of a previous terrorist incident & invite along a convicted terrorist? He'd been let out of jail early. He was armed with a knife & a fake explosive vest, so presumably came prepared, rather than launching his attack on the spur of the moment. He killed a Cambridge student & a woman passer-by. I think they proved beyond any doubt that a cup of tea & a cuddle isn't going to work with these guys. Rehabilitation doesn't work. But then, one of the other men who tackled him, (the one armed with a fire extinguisher?), is a convicted murderer, also a guest at the conference.
Maybe the clever University types need to re-think their sociology teaching -& hold their conferences in a more secure environment.
According to the Radio 6 News, the terrorist's lawyer is blaming the prison service for not de-radicalising him & Jeremy Corbin is blaming the probation service.
Sorry -I'm trying not to rant Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 02:38:00 AM »

More info on this:
The guy with the whale tusk is ...

I knew the status of the killer and the tackler but didn't realise the rest. If your explanation was a work of fiction, you'd have been slated for such a ridiculous and contrived plot.  Huh

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »

Smiley

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:47 PM »

To be fair, Jeremy Corbin is not responsible for this guys early release from prison, but once out, there's little doubt that the huge budget cuts to the Police, Prison services and probation service did not exactly help the situation, particularly in keeping tabs on him, ...just saying....Morrag Cry

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Baychimp

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:00:59 AM »

This could have been a near miss for me,as I was in the area of Fishmongers Hall and London Bridge the Friday before,and my sister wanted to go back on that Friday as well. I couldn't make it that day so we cancelled.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: